• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

February 22, 2015 — Dr. John Brandenburg

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Dr. Brandenburg is a fun-loving guy and all, but did he really make a case that, ages ago, some evil alien race offed a Martian race with nukes?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

That's a strong shout, but (and there is always a but especially in this field) we need more evidence because at the end of the day it's just speculation on people's part Im not saying it did or didn't happen I for one look forward to this intervew guys .

I mean we could of all originated from MARS in the distant past

I don't know if he makes a Strong Case per say in this particular interview, I think he tended to side track on to his SYFY novels ( which I found annoying).
That being said I had heard Brandenburg present his theories before, while I don't fully agree with everything he has to say I do think the subject matter is fascinating.
Also similar to the work of Joseph P Ferrell.

This episode painfully underscored the fact that there is room for only one source of bad jokes on The Paracast and that's Gene Steinberg. HEY-OH! ;-)

In all seriousness, Dr. Brandenburg's light-hearted and somewhat goofy personality not only detracts from his message but seemed to prevent him from actually finishing a complete thought or answer for most of the areas discussed. He also seems to suffer from A.D.D. with his chuckling forays into books and movies.

I can't say that I'm at all compelled to follow up and read any of his books given how he presented himself on this episode. Gene and Chris should be commended on their restraint while dealing with his stream-of-consciousness approach to the interview. This one seemed to go off the rails early and never quite got back on track for a serious discussion of the opinions Dr. Brandenburg espouses despite Gene's numerous efforts.

I don't recall the previous interview with Dr. Brandenburg being so goofy and free-wheeling.

Gene seemed a bit frustrated, trying to keep the guest on topic. When the good doctor was asked what info he was told by mars scientist about a cover up- he laughed while talking about a book released by one such scientist. Between giggles and a commercial break, I wasn't sure if he would ever get to answer the most fascinating question surrounding his "research." It's good not to take ones self too seriously, but I was a bit annoyed and skeptical if Brandenburg truly believed in his own findings as far as the evidence surrounding a nuclear device being released in the mars atmosphere.

I felt bad when he was the only person laughing at his own joke.

But if we don't take this break we'll be the only ones listening to the Paracast.

He seemed "for real" so far as his findings of some type of atomic explosion near the surface of mars-
I'd be interested to hear what Stanton Friedman thinks of the evidence- too bad he couldn't have been at the table to better explain in layman's terms, this evidence of Brandenburg's- or refute it.

I could here the frustrations in Gene's voice as he dried to get answers to his questions. Dr. John Brandenburg jokes took away from the story that he had to tell. He made himself unbelievable. How did he go from being anti nuclear to saying that we should prepare for war from an alien race. Now that there is talk of nuclear war with Russia, this is increasingly relevant. It is quite a step to go from accepted scientist to outcast scientist, an exploration of this would have been interesting. Chris let it be know that much of what he was saying about Mars oceans etc were creditable. What are the sources that we can look up to check on Dr. John Brandenburg's facts? The book looks interesting from what I was able to read on Amazon. His family history looks like interesting reading. It is a problem to explore a book, but not to much so people will still want to buy it. There is enough here about Dr. John Brandenburg that could make an interesting interview but it did not happen.
Finally I found all the speculation caused me not to finish listening to the program. Perhaps in the Paracast Plus you could have a discussions about how what could have happened. It could be turned into good science fiction books and make a lot of money.

Last edited:
I like Dr. John Brandenburg and see plenty of merit in many of the speculations and conclusions from his scientific work regarding atomic explosions above Mars. I have heard him interviewed before, including on The Paracast. So there wasn't much that was new, but it was nice to hear about his new book. However, I found the February 22 show to be pretty weird.

I get it that The Paracast promotes itself as being willing to "ask the tough questions" but was honestly unsure in listening to your February 22 show as to whether you were maybe doing a kind of show parody, at least in the first half of the show. There is a perhaps a certain deftness required in "asking the tough questions:" Interrupt the interviewee with a certain kind of stridency and an attempt to channel Mike Wallace can sound like an eager cub reporter for a small town weekly. This approach while the co-host is almost as enthusiastically attempting to demonstrate familiarity with and to add to the guest's narrative can have a comedic effect--maybe irritating at times too. It seemed like only after the guest patiently waded through this crossfire well into the show that things seemed to have stabilize a bit. It's worth acknowledging that the guest had his own foibles in the form of meandering and maybe finding more humor in his monologue than may have been warranted. Anyway, it was an "interesting" show if a bit wobbly too.

Great interview and hope Dr Brandenburg comes back for another interview. Also lets not forget his work much most likely classified thus he has to be careful what he says. Also like to hear about his late father WW2 Service did he witness the Foo Fighters?? and did he do any work at the Navy Labs.

Last edited:
A very creepy interview from a guy who seems to have some personal issues that he's trying to resolve in public format. At first I was into the giggling, science fiction references, silliness and pirate jokes, but when he couldn't seem to respond appropriately it made my skin crawl in sympathetic embarrassment listening to him. I don't care what kind of credentials this guy has, he was a poor communicator, didn't make much sense and insulted the Paracast audience even if that wasn't his intention. How smart is that? Heard him with Don Ecker on a DMR episode from way back and then he sounded coherent even if I didn't believe in his ideas. Expected this to be a better show than it was, but I still like the fact that it was put out there for posterity.

Was thinking some more on what he wrote, via the above link. First, I have very little education on all this to be anything but an opinionated numb skull....but oh well. He's been accredited with some solid work in the past. He has no boundaries. Very unscientific within the science. I notice on that comment section how incredibly rude the commenters were with such a wild idea but I'm not surprised. Historically, anyone in our history past that introduced a "wild idea" faced much more than our modern day society faces. Death or loss of homeland, etc.
Earth flat/earth round. Who in today's society is one of those rare people that's doing the same. I notice that he presented the Pentagon with his paper and they encouraged him to publish it. When we get to the whole idea of what the government deems important we have to consider the idea that they already know of another species or several within our air space. So there's a "possible" acknowledgement in this connection with Brandenberg. There also is our rover running all over testing Mars right now. And coincidentally there's a private interest to travel to Mars. Granted it would take a mind much smarter than my own to see if the dots connected but it's enough to not dismiss. And finally, although I understood this one comment the least, he implied in the interview that people in high rank? talked to him about knowing of intelligent life besides us and that he wrote sci fi books in an attempt to retell those stories masked within the story? Dunno on that one.

Back