• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Farewell Mr. Spock (Prime)

Shame, at our age all the 'best' scifi character actors a going, the list of dr who's is endless, not many of them alive now tho..

Afraid so captain, only a 0.0023% chance of error.
Spock-spock-star-trek-smiley-emoticon-000554-medium.gif

I am glad that in the end mr. nimoy accepted his character instead of bemoaning it. I can think of a lot worse burdens for a working ( or non - working ) actor than to create one of the most iconic characters in tv and pop culture.

How many actors can say that a character they played on TV and in the movies will be talked about, remembered and loved fifty years after its inception?

Genuinely sad. Back in '93 I was in L.A, my first time in the States. Doing the normal tourist thing, we went to Sunset to look at the stars on the sidewalk. I remember finding the star of Deforest Kelley-who played Dr McCoy in the original Star Trek series. Remember this was pre-internet, so I was taking photos galore, there not being any other real way for someone in the U.K to access images of all these foot and handprints.

I never did find the star of Leonard Nimoy which was shame cos I looked madly for it. A friend of mine died less than 2 weeks ago of a very similar condition to the one that took Leonard Nimoy, so the manner of his passing impacted me that little bit more.

I am so glad that Nimoy came fully to terms with being known mainly for Spock - he brought something original and classic to the episodes of TNG and newer Star Trek movies. Undoubtedly a true Hollywood star, one of a kind. Anyone else seen his music video from the '60s featuring him singing 'If I Had a Hammer'?
Classic, fun stuff.

LLAP:(

Nimoy got into photography later on in life and showed another side of his artistry. Lots of nudes, with some interesting multi-body compositional pieces from his The Full Body Project. He has some very exquisite alien hand images in here.
35 Beautiful Art Photographs Made By Leonard Nimoy
My favourite image by far of his is a very early one, pre-70's where this man appears to be stepping off into the ether, about to walk off into an altered state, another dimension of light. Quite appropriate for an end to his own long journey. He'll be missed by many as he managed to take a tv character and turn that into some kind of transcendent cultural phenomena.
grid-cell-11177-1425076921-15.jpg

Last edited:
Like his father before him Spock also married a human female and further watered down the Vulcan genetic lineage. His own children were very limited in their psi powers and were only right 75% of the time with frequent margins of error, very human indeed.
wethair.jpg

I read or maybe saw an interview in which he was asked when he decided to be an actor. I think he said it was when he was in college, and when he told his parents, they were not amused. After giving up on trying to talk him out of it, his father told him he needed to learn to play the accordion if he insisted on being an actor. Young Leonard asked why. "Because a good accordion player can always find work." :)

1.jpg

Star Trek was pretty formative for me growing up. Spock especially had quite an effect on me as a representative of an alien culture and who was also human. In this episode where we finally get a very close look at Vulcan culture we got to see a whole new dimension to the character, something seething & passionate below a very controlled surface, a major evolution for the character that Nimoy brought so much of his own person and Jewish heritage to.

He started off with lots of odd bits of smiles here and there with the captain over chess, and was always barking orders on the bridge. But as the character formed across the first series he helped develop this whole other cultural future where humans and other humanoids connected together and travelled the stars. Roddenberry really created quite the dynamic and my Saturday nights frequently saw me arguing with my grandparents who wanted to watch Bonanza or wrestling instead. Those nights where I won out and got to see my Vulcan hero do his thing were memorable to say the least. I got into Mission Impossible just because of him. In Search Of just ripped the lid right off the can, though, and I became a paranormal addict. Thanks a lot Nimoy for that double edged gift, an absolutely fascinating way to consume time.

Like his father before him Spock also married a human female and further watered down the Vulcan genetic lineage. His own children were very limited in their psi powers and were only right 75% of the time with frequent margins of error, very human indeed.
wethair.jpg
I loved Spock -- maybe more than I knew. That photo shocked me: his wife and I could be twins from that era.

Back