• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Fake iTunes Reviews!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
As anyone of you who has put content accessible from Amazon or iTunes knows, there are apt to be fake reviews (complimentary and otherwise).

In that unfortunate tradition, there are one or two people who keep posting the same fake reviews about The Paracast on iTunes with different names; don't know if they are competitors or just generally nasty.

We have asked Apple to remove them, only to see them return in a new guise. One says we run eight minutes of ads between segments, which is demonstrably false (it's actually two or three, same as any other commercial radio show), and another talks of my constant goofy jokes, while most of you know that I really don't tell jokes on the show.

I invite you to post your comments about the show on iTunes — good, bad, or otherwise. Let's get the truth out there.

I'll post something good for ya. :) But, I wouldn't worry to much about one or two bad ones. Almost every show I see has some that are just people who either don't like the subject matter and trash it every chance they get. Or people who have a grudge and it appears that the podcast field in general and the u.f.o. podcast in particular have a lot of personality clashes. There is one paranormal podcast that I really like. The guy interviews believers and skeptics and lets em have their say. But, the show is constantly trashed by a group of folks who don't think the "paranormal" should have a platform of any kind. Although I'm sure there are two sides to the story. It's just hard to understand why people have to trash something that's free and they can either take it or leave it. But, they had rather trash it. Anyway, good luck and I'm on my way over now to give a good review to The Paracast. :)

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Done! I forgot to sign it so look for the review from "cybrdragon" I logged in on my wifes account. :)

Done! I forgot to sign it so look for the review from "cybrdragon" I logged in on my wifes account. :)

Names don't matter. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

It's just hard to understand why people have to trash something that's free and they can either take it or leave it.

I think I know who is responsible, but I'll just say that some people need a life.

As we begin 2011, I still see that the fakers are active making up stories about The Paracast and posting them on iTunes.

I sometimes wonder if a few of them come from supposedly "rival" shows, or a disgruntled guest. One, from someone who should know better, is particularly upsetting because it's borders on personal attack, which I thought Apple didn't permit.

In any case, whether good, bad, or indifferent, we welcome your point of view here — and on iTunes!

I also see a curious trend in the latest reviews that indicates, to me, that we're taking the right approach.

One review said we're too wishy-washy with guests. The previous one said we were so hard-nosed and critical of guests that only my friends come on the show.

Make of that what you will.

I find that you have to take the reviews on itunes with a grain of salt. Especially the attacks. I notice that many of the "debunking" groups go out in force after a paranomal show if it's high profile. I see the other extream also of "dough eyed believers" attacking a skeptical posistion. Also, the process of rating and review is so easy that if somebody gets pissed off at you (such as the guy or guys who came on here from a rival show and started some mess in the recent past) they can trash you show. Although I do read the reviews I also try to see who is reviewing and if they have an agenda. Sometime you can't tell. Matter of fact most of the time you can't tell. But, sombody who gets on a paranormal show thread and the first thing they say is "This isn't science it is a fairy tale." Well, that review isn't worth the cyber paper it's written on. Just as if somebody gets on a skeptic thread and says "Their just a bunch of debunkers." I wish there was a better way on itunes because good honest shows can be trashed at the click of a mouse. Bad shows can get a few followers to give em 4 or 5 stars. Oh well, ya just gotta keep on keepin on I guess. :)

I would hope that most reviews are sincere, so people get a sense of what they're getting before they download a show. Unfortunately, as you say, it's not always that way in the real world.

I also hope most of em are sincere. I think you are trying to do the right thing with integrity and yet have fun. So, I think the cream will rise to the top. :)

Here's why I don't have an iTunes account either:

Indemnity:

"You agree to indemnify and hold Apple, its officers, directors, shareholders, predecessors, successors in interest, employees, agents, subsidiaries and affiliates, harmless from any demands, loss, liability, claims or expenses (including attorneys’ fees), made against Apple by any third party due to or arising out of or in connection with your use of the Site."

So technically you could tell Apple that if they don't stop whoever it is, you'll consider legal action. Then whoever it is would have to pay Apple to deal with the the case. BTW, Apple's TOS also allows them to reveal customer's identities, so you may even be able to get their idently from Apple just by sending them a legal letter.

Lastly, there are cyber harrassment laws that make it illegal for people to go around posting defamatory remarks about people. So if the reviews include comments about you personally, you might be able to initiate an investigation. Take .mht files or screen shots of everything bad they post and start creating a file on them just in case you need it in the future.

Gene I just wanted to let you know I gave a great review just now. Paracast is by far my favorite paranormal, I look forward to it every week.

Thanks. Love us or hate us, some of those reviews are wacky. I had one with our other show claiming we ran 70% ads. We do run a fair amount of ads, but it's normal for network radio.

Thanks. Love us or hate us, some of those reviews are wacky. I had one with our other show claiming we ran 70% ads. We do run a fair amount of ads, but it's normal for network radio.
You do far better work Gene then George snorry...and more fair and even handed..I never heard you push an agenda and are much more likly to question out there claims...

another talks of my constant goofy jokes, while most of you know that I really don't tell jokes on the show.
In that case I solemnly promise never to chuckle again. Except when Chris O'Brien does his ET voice(s)~~ permission to sneak a little smile then?

If the reviewer is referring to your occasional pop culture / sci-fi references Mr Steinberg, this listener actually does ~~how to say~~ appreciate that part. You take your seriously, but not so seriously as to render it uninteresting or inaccessible. And I have always appreciated that too, even as being still an interested novice.

If s/he is referring to your occasional banter with co-hosts and guests, I appreciate that aspect of your show as well. It indicates that you are enjoying yourselves and enjoying discussions you are having. I don't know if I can listen to interviews where people are not comfortable and enjoying each other's company. (Ever see Michael Parkinson interviewing Meg Ryan?? Ouch.)

I'm in New Zealand (having just listened to an August episode with a ...um... commentary on the topic of NZ ladies and sheep~~ we also have more possums here than people so careful we don't sic 'em all on you lot over there!) I say this all in good spirit though. Point being if I have written a review on itunes I'm not sure if you would see it.

But in any case, other people have their opinions. I reckon that your programme speaks for itself regardless of what reviewers might say.

~ash.

I work in the food/hospitality industry, if you think your reviews are harsh try reading some of the stuff people write on food/hospitality industry based websites, everyone is an expert!

Just because people can type something on the net it doesn't mean that they have something to say that matters. When people like Gene and Chris so much into the show and get nothing but a brass razoo in return it can be hard to stomach.

Back