• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Everything Happens for a Reason (with Adam Savage)

if you liked that you will love this.

For thousands of years humanity lived in darkness. Once the veil of ignorance had been lifted; look what was achieved in 200 years. There are those who would like to extinguish the light. Funny, the other day I was talking to this young girl. She is a devout Christian. I could not reason with her. Nothing mattered to her but what was written in the bible. Completely brainwashed. So sad.

For thousands of years humanity lived in darkness. Once the veil of ignorance had been lifted; look what was achieved in 200 years. There are those who would like to extinguish the light. Funny, the other day I was talking to this young girl. She is a devout Christian. I could not reason with her. Nothing mattered to her but what was written in the bible. Completely brainwashed. So sad.

there are many out there like that

"Pastor calls for death of gays" "pastor calls for children to be beaten with rods." "Priest arrested for rape of young girls/boys."
My young daugher asked "why don't we go to church?
My answer: "because daddy and mommy can teach you about what is good better than a church"

This is very Baconian. Science will save us from ourselves. LOL! If only.
You are right. Science cannot save us from ourselves. Neither can religion or any other false paradigms. They continue splitting the atom trying to unlock nature's secrets. Are they any closer to understanding the underlying nature of reality? I don't think so. It is a mysterious universe. To quote Einstein: "Anything that can happen in the universe, will happen."

This is very Baconian. Science will save us from ourselves. LOL! If only.

Nope not at all we will save us from our selves science is only a tool.

It is like a hammer it can be used to nail a plank or bash some ignorant fools head in ... that hammer cares not what you use it for it just is and science is very much like the hammer.
We decide what to use it for so if it saves us it was by our hand and choice alone

So what saved us then?

US!

if you liked that you will love this.

this is a very cool message as even as a youth i was 'smart" enough to realize that in just about any religion there was a lot of incompatability not only within that religion, but w/many other religions as well, but i felt a need to "belong" to some group (even looked at zoroastrainism) sometimes i still feel that way, but i figure just trying to honor the Golden Rule is good enough, regardless of a person's religion. i still like to think there is SOME reward to people who have spent their lifetime doing good works, and i'd like to think there is a unpleasant surprise waiting for those who have perverted TGR (you know who you are) it doesn't take a genius to see that there are many people who Profess to a certain faith ( i'll tread carefully here) that i have to deem not worthy of my or anyone else's respect. I have this innate necessity to find a balance in anything and that usually starts with need to explain to myself (first and foremost) why I believe what I do. That could make me a good candidate for buddhism but I think a good buddhist would have an issue with my previous statement about respect.Their position would probably be "they are what they are" I felt a good distinction would be having a faith versus having a religion but even having a strong.faith...on anything...could lead one astray. It all comes down to good character I guess, You either have it in you or you don't and if you don't , may you acquire it. I said it in another post and I'll mention it again, ah the human condition

I work at the UW as a TA for the astronomy dept. last year as asteroid YU55 neared earth my son was told by many that it would hit earth. To calm his fears I sought the OK from Prof McClellan (my Prof I work with) to let him come to the observatory to see the asteroid. He agreed quickly. So I went to Bascom hill observatory and soon all was ready. Prof McClellan told him the other kids were wrong that the Asteroid would just pass by. Then he allowed him to look at the asteroid. My son is 5 going on 6 his eyes widened and his face looked like it was Christmas morn.”DADDY I SEE IT! ITS LIKE A ROCK IN THE SKY! CAN I SEE Saturn TO? AND MARS?” the prof smiled “And so the heavens are gazed upon by one who would be our replacement. Saturn coming up my boy! And any star you wish to see! “the prof turned to me “do you rember how it was for you? The 1st time you looked upon the stars in wonder? I won't pretend I will be here forever and if I open a door for one just one young mind I can die happy. Many come here I see them I read their hearts most are here only for the credits. A few are here because like you like me like HIM they share a deep and lasting love for the stars. And one day maybe and old grandfather will stand here as his grandson takes his 1st look at the wonders of the heavens.” If that is true if my son has gained because of me and him a true lasting love for astronomy then I truly can die happy my life will have meaning and purpose If my daughters grow up and become good women and follow mine and my wives example then we have done our part. And that is my take on the meaning of life..
peace
BOB

I take a few minutes most nights to gaze up in awe at the night sky.

Contemplation of the universe is the first step, in exploring and understanding it

Back