• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Earth's Magnetic Field

trilithium

"I Wish I Knew"
Hi all, I am quite new and I hope you haven't discussed this topic already but here we go. A few years ago I watched a documentary titled "Earth's Magnetic Field" and it was quite interesting to say the least. They discussed how today the Earth's magnetic field is losing strength and has been for some time. To make it short-er, scientists dug down in the earth to reveal the layers with which they can study to reveal many things about the past. Subsequently, they found conclusive proof that the magnetic field used to be reversed ie:Magnetic south. I think they said it flip-flops periodically from magnetic north to south and has been doing this for a long time. I think they said the last time it happened was something like 700,000 yrs. ago. The field weakens when it's getting close (this is wide open for discussion) to flipping again. When they looked at a specific layer, they found all the particles in that layer positioned the exact opposite from the layers above it, and all the particles in the layers below that specific layer to be oriented the same as the specific layer, indicating a flip or flop of the magnetic field. Really interesting stuff I think, they also speculated that Mars once had a magnetic field, I don't think it has any now, thus had an atmosphere more like ours. After doing a search, I found this youtube video which I'm pretty sure is from the original documentary that I saw. I will try to include it here.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/or5ctagh0to&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

So why are some claiming this will be the big 2012 event? What effect will this have on us in day to day lives? Will all electricity be screwed?

My understanding was that the field was weakening, getting reading for a magnetic pole shift that was 650,000 years overdue, but that it would take 300 years to complete, and that there wouldn't be any huge catastrophic problems.

After all, we go through this every few hundred thousand years, according the the geologic record, and we've survived...

May have to make some new maps, though (or at lest, turn the old ones upside-down)...

Attachments

• rotatedmap-large.jpg
    rotatedmap-large.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
My understanding was that the field was weakening, getting reading for a magnetic pole shift that was 650,000 years overdue, but that it would take 300 years to complete, and that there wouldn't be any huge catastrophic problems.

After all, we go through this every few hundred thousand years, according the the geologic record, and we've survived...

May have to make some new maps, though (or at lest, turn the old ones upside-down)...

new maps ? dont they all look like this ? ours do.

Very intriguing. I love this subject because I believe it is involved with the many different subjects that are discussed here, maybe more than some believe.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tfLA1vKlfE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tfLA1vKlfE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>/QUOTE]

The whole 2012 thing is a fucking joke. The Boomers and the other new age retards point to 2012 as being the end of the world. What they forget about the Mayan calendar, is that it is circular, and repeating.

As far as a pole shift goes, the only thing it would do would screw up the seasons, tides, and possibly climate, but considering how long it has taken for the magnetic field to weaken I don't think we're going to have any problem as our magnetic field really doesn't affect the tilt of the earth so much as it does how we repel radiation.

Radiation does affect DNA, but the fact that our atmosphere and our magnetic field work together would negate quite a bit of change.

Our DNA changes with every generation of humans being born. Unfortunately we can't breed the stupid out of humanity no matter how hard we try.

Radiation does affect DNA, but the fact that our atmosphere and our magnetic field work together would negate quite a bit of change.

Our DNA changes with every generation of humans being born. Unfortunately we can't breed the stupid out of humanity no matter how hard we try.

Exactly, and without the Van Allen belt shielding us from radiation, we would all be carrying an extreme suntan, and other effects from cosmic radiation. So, losing the magnetic shield will have a deleterious effect upon all of us, flora and fauna alike. There is no question this will alter DNA at a much more significant level than we now experience.

its a double bubble as i understand it, the sun has its own magnetic "bubble" that reflects cosmic radiation, and then our planets mag field does its thing, but the suns bubble also directly affects ours as well as it fluctuates.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/10/19/1224351057111.html

as for the reversal being smooth, velikovsky makes a case it was very turbulent.

"such as palms found in northern Greenland, corals in Alaska, the unfossilized bones of hippopotamuses in England, and the remains of polar bears and arctic foxes crushed together in one mass with ostriches and crocodiles."

he also cites large chunks of granite that came from the alps that are sitting in the plains of india as evidence massive flooding is associated with the switch in poles

Back