• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Doubts of sanity?

Ron Collins

Curiously Confused
Do experiencers/abductees doubt their sanity at times?

I have heard many stories about people that are absolutely certain that what they have witnessed is real but very few that say that they seriously questioned their sanity or convictions. No implications here, just an honest question.

I have had doubts about my sanity for years. Several professionals and others with the same type of experiences have convinced me that I am sane.
In my case certain experiences are more convincing that others as far as how "real " they may be. If my experiences happen at night, which many of them do, I don't think of them as physically real as much as other reality real.

I constantly question whether or not I've actually seen and experienced what I have. If you're going to be intellectually honest about this sort of thing you kind of have to.

Abductees' questioning their sanity is common. If you read contactee reports, it's scarce.

A person in the stage of still questioning their sanity is less likely to do Art Bell (yes, crazy people call, but those people are crazy and don't question it:), and thereby will go unnoticed until they are more certain.

Question my sanity? Constantly. Each time I experience something anomalous, I either think I've lost my marbles, or that I have some kind of brain disease. In fact, to be told there was a medical reason for some of the things I've experienced, would be a relief of sorts. Thankfully, apart from seeing what appeared to be a FT, in February, I've experienced very little in the way of the paranormal for the last nine years or so. I hope it stays that way, because it's most definitely a VERY unwelcome intrusion, whatever it is, and wherever it comes from.

IF you are doubting your sanity" you probably do need help", Not being a smart arse or anything "but you should no yourself before you even ask that question. People always look at an individuals sanity when they come across as being slightly mad or a little bit strange' no different in the ufo field

I've heard that only the insane never doubt their sanity.

I can't say whether that's definitely true, but I've certainly doubted my own sanity at times, and a few other people's as well! For that matter, are we even so sure that we know what insanity is? Sometimes, probably. Always, I bet no.

And who wouldn't question their own sanity if they had seen or experienced something that more than half the people in the world would probably dismiss as delusional, at the very least.

Of course, that's America. Many other countries consider it perfectly sane—even usual—to have some type of UFO sighting. The insanity label in this regard may be more cultural than anything, do you think?

Do experiencers/abductees doubt their sanity at times?

I have heard many stories about people that are absolutely certain that what they have witnessed is real but very few that say that they seriously questioned their sanity or convictions. No implications here, just an honest question.

Yes., most definitely. Though "the insane" are revered in many cultures as having one foot in the other world. Our culture embraces the opposite notion. So I suppose the question is; does a mental disorder automaticaly rule out an experiencer? Or does it make them more sensitive to a paranormal event?

IF you are doubting your sanity" you probably do need help", Not being a smart arse or anything "but you should no yourself before you even ask that question. People always look at an individuals sanity when they come across as being slightly mad or a little bit strange' no different in the ufo field

You've got it backwards/sdrawkcab. If you never question reality or your own sanity then you are SURELY mad. Only a madman would be so self-absorbed. :rolleyes:

I constantly question whether or not I've actually seen and experienced what I have. If you're going to be intellectually honest about this sort of thing you kind of have to.

I agree...Even though I believe in a lot of things, and have experienced much, I always question it first (and myself, too). I usually don't think "paranormal" at first blush, but if it still fits after some examination, then I accept it and move on.

You've got it backwards/sdrawkcab. If you never question reality or your own sanity then you are SURELY mad. Only a madman would be so self-absorbed. :rolleyes:
Everybody on this Planet does not think the same Or act the same " So i guess every individual questions there reality or there sanity based on there own personal circumstances:eek:

"Oh, that way madness lies; let me shun that." William Shakespeare.:cool:
"And since you know you cannot see yourself,
so well as by reflection, I, your glass,
will modestly discover to yourself,
that of yourself which you yet know not of." also William Shakespeare.:cool:

i think there is something in the premise that mad ppl never think they are mad, i had a sister in law once, who was insane, no doubt about it mad as a hatter, but she was convinved she was sane.
at one stage she was convinced the CIA (keep in mind we are talking sydney australia) had installed radioactive stuff in her water pipes and would happily draw the curtains and turn off the lights before turning the tap on and letting us see for ourselves that the water glowed in the dark.
it didnt, only she saw glowing water, but she was convinced we were blind.
nothing wrong with the odd mental parity check i reckon, in my experience those that dont wind up embracing some pretty strange notions

Back