• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Destination Truth - Hoia Baciu - Romania

kagai

Paranormal Novice
Did any one see the the season premiere episode of Destination Truth 9/9/09? They went to the Hoia Baciu Forest in Romania, since it's supposedly haunted. They saw lights moving around in the forest, captured some EVP, but the most interesting piece was video footage of their cameraman being lifted, from a sitting position while sitting alone in the forest, and thrown backwards. When he pulled up his sleeves he had numerous, fresh scratches on his arms. If it wasn't faked in any way, it was really interesting. I would like to see all of the footage surrounding that incident, but fat chance of that happening.

Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I never watch that show but I'm gonna have to check it out.

You never know what is faked on any of the ghostly shows, but I did watch the episode and it was certainly interesting. Since the show never seems to find any of the anomalous things they look for, it was at least surprising in that respect.

The top of the airplane they used to try to find the area in question by air broke off in a strong wind leaving the pilot and the show's star exposed. Mostly, the show deals with things like that as well as the weird creatures found in all of the locations. Gotta find a story somewhere.

Still, the photographer was supposedly picked up or blown from his location within one frame of the film if analysis was correct. Who knows?

i feel this show is really well done. not much happens to them, so i dont feel they are doing stuff to make people watch the show, and the ep about their venture into the forest below mount fuji chilled me to the bone.

they go around and talk to a lot of locals and stuff about monsters, mythes and other crypto stuff i would never here about any other way.

they do ghost stuff some times and its a fun watch just for the culture stuff at times. it can be funny and it can scary.

Gabe.

How much truth can any one hope to find when it involves the paranormal? How much truth has been found in all the decades of "modern" investigation? I'm certainly no defender of any investigative group, whether it be a television "reality" program, or bunch of "scientists" plying their trade in obscurity, but, I've yet to see evidence of any "truth."

So, what exactly is the knock on this show? It's possibly fake? It's ALL possibly fake. Regardless of whether it's a TV show or some dude in Idaho. None of it is verifiable. The problem is that a TV show has to be entertaining, but, even an entertaining TV show can capture possible evidence when bumbling in the dark.

If you knew, for a fact, that that piece of footage was completely real, then it would be an exciting piece of footage. Of course, none of us know whether it is fake or real, so it's just an interesting piece of possibly fake footage. But, isn't that the same thing that could be said about every piece of evidence.

If you have some facts that this show is 100% a bunch of faked bull, then I am more than happy to look at your evidence, but, opinion without facts isn't truth. I neither take any of this as complete fact, nor do I take it as complete fiction, because I don't know and I suspect, neither does any one on this forum; however, I would have no problem if it was shown to be one or the other.

How much truth can any one hope to find when it involves the paranormal? How much truth has been found in all the decades of "modern" investigation? I'm certainly no defender of any investigative group, whether it be a television "reality" program, or bunch of "scientists" plying their trade in obscurity, but, I've yet to see evidence of any "truth."

So, what exactly is the knock on this show? It's possibly fake? It's ALL possibly fake. Regardless of whether it's a TV show or some dude in Idaho. None of it is verifiable. The problem is that a TV show has to be entertaining, but, even an entertaining TV show can capture possible evidence when bumbling in the dark.

If you knew, for a fact, that that piece of footage was completely real, then it would be an exciting piece of footage. Of course, none of us know whether it is fake or real, so it's just an interesting piece of possibly fake footage. But, isn't that the same thing that could be said about every piece of evidence.

If you have some facts that this show is 100% a bunch of faked bull, then I am more than happy to look at your evidence, but, opinion without facts isn't truth. I neither take any of this as complete fact, nor do I take it as complete fiction, because I don't know and I suspect, neither does any one on this forum; however, I would have no problem if it was shown to be one or the other.

YIKES! It sounds like someone's hit their bitter-mark and should probably take a few steps back from anything paranormal for a while. No worries, though, I get that way, too sometimes.

Destination Truth is entertaining to me because of one thing; Josh Gates. Okay, two things; the cute little brunette he takes with him everywhere, but outside of that I never really expect him to 'find' anything. Was the guy getting lifted and thrown back was impressive but one thing that stood out for me was his apparent lack of fear after a few minutes. It could have been the production but he seemed to recover awfully fast. I mean he just got jacked by something seriously paranormal, perhaps even supernatural, and he gets up, brushes himself off, and says it's off to the next one? Hrm. Seems a bit staged.
I was more impressed with the Ghost Hunters episode where the sound-guy got smacked in the face with his own audio bag. He was crying over it and never wanted to go back. That's a reaction I would expect by someone who was a serious skeptic before, then came face-to-face with something inexplicable.

My 2 cents.

J.

My post wasn't bitter, just calling out people for dropping into a thread with nothing more to say than, "It's stupid," what's the point? Why would someone bother taking time out of their day to go into a thread, about a subject in which they have an apparent disdain, and blow raspberries.

I am willing to look at any evidence and form an opinion, no matter the source; unless, that source has been proven to be fraudulent. Why do otherwise?

Obviously, this is a TV show and the pitfalls with a show are many, but until they are shown to be a bunch of "fakers" I don't believe that we should automatically poo-poo any "evidence", just because.

As for that particular incident, you have to remember that footage is heavily edited and condensed. They can't show 8 hours x 3-4 cameras of footage in a 30 minute segment, that's why I would like to see the raw footage, unedited. The time between that guy getting pushed back and getting up could have been 5 minutes or 30 minutes, who knows?

I just thought it was interesting footage, especially if it turns out to not be fake.

My post wasn't bitter, just calling out people for dropping into a thread with nothing more to say than, "It's stupid," what's the point? Why would someone bother taking time out of their day to go into a thread, about a subject in which they have an apparent disdain, and blow raspberries.

Well, that's the nature of human beings and the collision between anonymity and the Internet - people can, and will, say anything that comes to their minds, including instant dismissal of anything presented to them. Get used to it, it's not something that will go away anytime soon.

Oh, and thanks for the posts!

dB

Well "I" get bitter sometimes, believe me, and for the very reasons you point out here, Kagai. I don't claim to have all the answers, hell, I doubt I have any of the answers but when people claim that specks of dust or moisture caught on camera lenses are balls of plasma, ghostly spirits, or self illuminating when you couldn't see it before the shot really irk me. And that's just one example.

Ghost Hunters has been hiding behind the production of their show since the beginning, now. Whenever you see something and question it on-camera, one of their first defenses is, "Well, the footage was edited. It was actually much [longer, brighter, shorter, farther, etc...] than it seemed on camera." They always do that to defend themselves when someone questions some of their evidence. Frankly I'm sick of the excuse, especially from the Ghost Hunters.

David brought up the fact that he'd not watched that show for several seasons during the last ParaCast and it's a darn good thing he hasn't. Since seasons one and two the show has seriously gone down hill. I honestly think they fake 99.9% of their "evidence" now. I'm also sick of them jumping at a sound that wasn't caught on camera nor on a recorder and we, the audience, are just supposed to accept that it was heard. Or they see a freakin' full bodied apparition...but...oh, the camera was behind them, so sorry, we didn't get it on film. Damn that happens all the time on that POS show! That's the same as a sight-gag on a radio show.

Don't get me wrong, seasons one and two were good. I thought the evidence on those episodes was mostly legitimate and Jason and Grant acted more like paranormal investigators for those seasons. Now they've sold out. They are NOT paranormal investigators but happy little, well-paid entertainers jumping through hoops and playing Mary Had a Little Lamb on snicker horns. They contribute nothing to the field and instead revel in their celebrity-ism.

I'll never forget reading a post on their Internet site one time; they were looking for an electrical engineer for their team. Now at BEST they're looking for someone to manage their gear or design and build new devices, but most likely they're needing someone with those skills to build rigs to fake crap, say, a button in a digital recorder that emits a signal to turn on a flashlight from across the room. Or perhaps a mechanism that if worked in one's pocket would cause a wire to pull on a clamp attached to the hood of your coat. Hrm. I'm quite suspicious of something like that, and yeah, damn bitter of it, too.

On a more positive note, as I mentioned above, seasons one and two of the show are worth watching. David mentioned the apparition caught in Eastern State Penitentiary however that piece of evidence has been closely reviewed and suspected of fakery, but a better episode is the one where they went to St. Augustine FL and hunted the lighthouse there. To me, that one is the creme de' la creme of the show. That episode I highly recommend to any one, and it was before their heads grew too fat.

J.

I can back up my disdain easily. I call the show Destination: Nowhere because that's where it always goes. Any evidence of worth is buried under the avalanche of nothing. I realize it's tv and they have to try and make a show out of it but it's 90% padding and jumpy edits. The other 10% usually consists of blurry nightvision footage revealing NOTHING.

I would rather watch Ghost Hunters and I HATE Ghost Hunters...

I can back up my disdain easily. I call the show Destination: Nowhere because that's where it always goes. Any evidence of worth is buried under the avalanche of nothing. I realize it's tv and they have to try and make a show out of it but it's 90% padding and jumpy edits. The other 10% usually consists of blurry nightvision footage revealing NOTHING.

I would rather watch Ghost Hunters and I HATE Ghost Hunters...

I was the same way up until this season. Now I actually watch Destination Truth (Nowhere) for the humor of Mr. Gates. His sarcastic humor I can relate to. Do they find anything? Nah. Both shows are cheap entertainment but I get the sense that DT KNOW's it's cheap entertainment. Ghost Hunters is still taking itself too seriously and that's offensive to me. It's like they expect me to believe half the shit they put on screen where-as DT:N just goes through the motions.

Agreed,though, that neither show has anything really to do with the paranormal. They're just something nice to watch on a Wednesday night when I don't have anything else to do.

I just viewed that Hoia Baciu show on You Tube
and it sure looks real to me but I wonder why they didn't stay there longer because there's enough going on in that forest for them to film for the entire season!

It seems like such a place offers many opportunities for researchers to evaluate real paranormal phenomena... that is if it's true and not staged.

Ghost Hunters haven't had anything worth looking at since the lighthouse episode. As far as faking it?......Who knows? For the last two seasons I've just recorded the show and fast forwarded to the "reveal" part of the show and they've not had squat worth anything for the two seasons now. I don't know why I still keep up with the show, other than mild curiosity and maybe they'll actually find/tape one of those "shadows" or "apparitions" they see but never film.
As far as Destination Truth....if I traveled all the way to some remote forest in Romania, I would sure as hell stay for more than a couple of hours!!!!
They get there, film a bit, and quickly head back home. WTF kind of investigation is that??????? Couldn't they afford to stay for at least a few days?
The show I consider a TOTAL waste of time is Ghost Hunters International......they have yet to find ANYTHING at all after visiting all of these supposedly Super-haunted spots around the world. Nada, zip, zero. It's not even a little entertaining.

I always wondered why they didn't stay longer too, or why the place isn't crawling with paranormal investigators. I was surfing around just yesterday looking for pix, footage, whatev, on Hoia Baciu, and found very little. I really wanted to see some still photos of the DT show, and the guy getting yanked out of the circle, but I didn't find that either. I thought it was really an interesting place.

Destination Truth and Ghost Hunters usually don't go anywhere. I really don't think they fake stuff because if they did the shows would have better stuff. I also watch Destination Truth because the host cracks me up.

Destination Truth does upset me when they do find something and don't do much with it. They treat the investigations that find evidence just like the ones that don't. They were in Chile doing what turned into one of their better episodes. They found this small carcass buried in the floor of a cave. It was a weird looking thing and seemed worthy of some serious investigation. Basically they took pictures to bring back to the states and left the carcass in the hands of the Chilean police. They were worried about legal problems or something. Holy Crap! They didn't even get a DNA test done, they didn't bring even a sample back with them, they didn't turn it over to investigators in Chile. The expert they showed the pictures to couldn't identify the carcass from it's bone structure. It's like, oh wow, that was cool, what's next!

This season they returned to the Yeti search and found a nice hair sample which had very interesting DNA results. Didn't match any known species. The lady from the DNA place was obviously very surprised by the results. She says these types of samples always end up being in the data base and this one wasn't. Very cool, moving on now...

Ghost Hunters haven't had anything worth looking at since the lighthouse episode. As far as faking it?......Who knows? For the last two seasons I've just recorded the show and fast forwarded to the "reveal" part of the show and they've not had squat worth anything for the two seasons now. I don't know why I still keep up with the show, other than mild curiosity and maybe they'll actually find/tape one of those "shadows" or "apparitions" they see but never film.
As far as Destination Truth....if I traveled all the way to some remote forest in Romania, I would sure as hell stay for more than a couple of hours!!!!
They get there, film a bit, and quickly head back home. WTF kind of investigation is that??????? Couldn't they afford to stay for at least a few days?
The show I consider a TOTAL waste of time is Ghost Hunters International......they have yet to find ANYTHING at all after visiting all of these supposedly Super-haunted spots around the world. Nada, zip, zero. It's not even a little entertaining.

I agree about GH not really finding much since the Lighthouse ep.

And Destination Truth is starting to be a bit interesting, but the host seems a bit...high strung or melodramatic, or something.

GHI: I actually like it better than regular GH for getting to see a bit of the international locales they are investigating, lol. But you're right that very little (if much of anything) interesting is found. I still want GHI to continue tho!

I like GHI too. In fact, I like Barry best, the tech guy. Ghosts throw things at him and it cracks me up. If it's faked, I don't particularly care because Wednesday night TV is horrible. Sometimes I just want to get lost in trivial TV, turn the brain off, veg, whatever it takes to get to sleep later. It's a sure thing on Wednesday nights. :D

Back