• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

David Gotlib “Bulletin of Anomalous Experience” 1990-94 online

IsaacKoi

Paranormal Maven
I am pleased to be able to make freely available online searchable PDF versions of all 31 issues of the “Bulletin of Anomalous Experience”, edited by David Gotlib (with his kind permission).

Dr David Gotlib is a Canadian psychiatrist. He edited the “Bulletin of Anomalous Experience”, which was circulated among mental health professionals and a network of interested UFO researchers from 1990 and 1994. The Bulletin focused on psychological, physiological and sociological issues relevant to ufological / abductee discussions e.g. False Memory Syndrome, hypnosis, Michael Persinger’s Tectonic Strain Hypothesis, Albert Budden’s work on electromagnetic pollution, folklore, myths, surveys, articles by Martin Kottmeyer, etc.

The entire collection of searchable PDF versions of the Bulletin can be downloaded as a single zip file from the link below:
http://www.isaackoi.com/zipped/journals/Bulletin of Anomalous Experience.zip

Alternatively, you can use the link below if you want just a sample or a specific issue:
Index of /journals/Bulletin of Anomalous Experience

An article by Jacques Vallee on his website refers to Dr David Gotlib’s “seminal work” and states that Dr Gotlib’s Bulletin of Anomalous Experience “has presented the most unbiased framework for a healthy debate about abductions but was frequently at variance with the ‘leaders’ of the field”

In advice that appears to have largely fallen on deaf years, ufologist Ed Stewart stated (back in 2000) that the Bulletin “should be consulted and referenced in any meaningful discussion of the topic”.

When I recently asked veteran Canadian ufologist Chris Rutkowski for his views on the most useful existing literature regarding persons reporting anomalous experiences (e.g. UFOs and abductions) he stated that “without question the best work in the field was by David Gotlib” and that David Gotlib “was easily the most scientific researcher in the field and worked with psychiatric and psychology professionals”. Highly-regarded British ufologist Jenny Randles also recently stated to me that the Bulletin “deserves broader recognition” and made the following comments about it:

It is a badly overlooked, but extremely useful resource covering aspects of the UFO debate all too often underappreciated. Whatever UFOs might eventually turn out to be they are events that get experienced by human beings through their senses and perceptions and usually whilst facing extremes of cognition and psychological stress. This makes research into these areas of fundamental importance to our understanding of what is going on. A UFO encounter is in the modern world the ultimate anomalous experience and ignoring what is being uncovered about this aspect of our selves undersells any investigation.

Bruce Maccabee stated (in the “Bulletin of Anomalous Experience” itself, in Volume 5 Issue 6) that he had “been ‘triple AAA’d’ (Amazed, Amused and occasionally Appalled)” by what he had read in the Bulletin, stating that “the discussions and reviews are great” but he had “been bothered by the fact that they almost always center on the mental aspects of the situation, as in ‘it’s all mental’”.

Another exceptional addition to the catalogue, or is it an encyclopaedia? Great articles throughout but most interesting for its evolution of ideas and principles in the early issues. Some great one off pieces and excellent interplay between key figures in the field; Keel giving Druffel what for, discussions on neo-nazism's ties to ufology, Hopkins' protocols for interviewing children along with the exceptional sardonic tone that Gotlib maintains throughout its run makes for highly unique reading. This not only documents all the key themes of ufology and methods for exploration of the abduction phenomenon, but includes some choice statements by some researchers who are current guiding lights in the field. This was an interesting self-description that struck a chord with me:

As an astronomer, I share the majority view that intelligent life exists elsewhere in our galaxy (but not necessarily here on Earth!). I believe it possible that an advanced, technological civilization may have found ways of traversing interstellar distances without violating physical laws. However, after 20 years of research and investigation, I do not see any incontrovertible evidence of this.

My opinion is that UFOs are not physical phenomena, they definitely are sociological or psychological phenomena. In either case, they are worth scientific study, because they have permeated the minds and imagination of the populace.

I first met modern-day contactees in the 1970's. In the late 1980's, abductees began seeking my help in understanding their experiences. I and my colleagues in UFO*** have been actively investigating a broad spectrum of reported experiences since 1975. AHhough many cases are intriguing and a small percentage are unexplained, they do not offer conclusive proof of extraterrestrial visitation.

I am interested in bridging the chasm between "believers" and "debunkers" in an attempt to catalyse rational discourse on these topics. I know that, deliberately or otherwise, incorrect information has been propagated by individuals who have made "names" for themselves in these fields of study. Because of some training in deconstructionist educational theory, I am critical of published research and popular interpretations of the phenomena.

My philosophy: "Don't always believe the believers, but also be skeptical of skeptics." My favourite quote as it relates to abduction experiences: "If you remember your experience, it is probably just a false memory; if you don't remember it, the memory was erased."

Gems like this permeate the collection of bulletins. Thanks for making this available.

Back