• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Chris Rutkowski 8/31/2014

I really liked this episode and guest. The discussion ventured into some newer territory, the discussion of UFO injuries and the Falcon Lake incident in particular. The guest was full of insight on some of the more complex problems of ufologoly. Can't wait to find out who's up for next week.

Great show. Chris sounds like a guy with his head firmly screwed on his shoulders when it comes to the UFO phenomenon which can't be said for a lot of folks in the field....I'm looking at you Linda.

Maybe a bit dry at times, but other than that, there's virtually nothing to be critical of on this episode of the Paracast. As usual, Chris Rutkowski was an excellent guest. The sound quality was above average and the questions were good ( thanks to @Christopher O'Brien for asking mine ). Rutkowski's comment about being a member of the so-called Dream Team didn't go unnoticed ;) . It was also interesting to hear C.R. talk about abductions. He was able to maintain his reserved approach while at the same time imparting the point that there is something truly strange going on, and that it doesn't deserve to be entirely dismissed. Chris Rutkowski is a credit to the ufology community, his support for other serious ufologists was a classy move, and I hope that he stays active in the field for many years to come. Great show :) !

Last edited:
Chris Rutkowski is a credit to the ufology community, his support for other serious ufologists was a classy move, and I hope that he stays active in the field for many years to come. Great show :) !
ufology.

Listen to the show today, it was great. People like this demonstrate with their demeanor how grounded and knowledgeable they are about the subject(s) they are discussing. Nothing else to say but great job...

Like others here i very much enjoyed this interview with Chris Rutkowski. The following is part of a personal e-mail i sent to Micah Hanks regarding Mr. Rutkowski's remarks on birding. Birdwatchers constitute and create valuable resources which apply directly to the study of many paranormal and especially cryptozoological events. This topic has been on my mind for quite a while now and Chris R's intelligent take on this topic got me motivated to start writing.

"Just beginning to listen to the paracast and very happy to hear Chris Rutkowski's comments on birding. I bird, during my 30's i was bird-obsessed (fantastic times), and i've been thinking about how this discipline applies to study of the strange for a couple of years now. First, addressing Schaeffer's crack about 'there's no trained observer school'. I've not heard of one, but all science related to observation of animal behaviour involves a fair amount of training. People who make observations at raptor migration observatories and migratory bird observatories all get training, some very intensive. That training is what allows them to identify birds by species, sex, and age (for starters). I volunteered for a a bird breeding atlas one year and we received plenty of training on bird identification, various behaviours to look for, how to document these breeding-related behaviours to insure consistency in the database, etc.

The same applies to all animal behaviour sciences, not to mention the training involved in observation in astronomy, oh! and the medical sciences. When you have an MRI or ultrasound the techs do not just give you the films and send you on your way, since anyone can read them and know exactly what they are looking at/snark. No, they have a trained observer examine them and produce a report.
I asked one ultrasound tech about this while i was being examined, the screen always looks just random to me. She let me know that a few months into her training she despaired of every being able to get the hang of it! But she stuck with it and soon things clicked.

It took training and experience to be able to make accurate observations.

Which brings us back to birders. There's around 3 million active birders in the USA. All of these people have some degree of knowledge about the local flora and fauna - which critters hang out, in what environment, what time of year. There is a dedicated core of birders who spend at least 4-6 hours every week birding at a minimum. Many keep detailed notes. Some bird the same area every week for years. I've always thought that these dedicated observers would be incredibly valuable to any investigator of paranormal or especially cryptid events. The key would be to find the obsessive birder in the area of the occurrence. Which seems daunting as hell!

But cryptologists are not the only persons interested in these Obsessive Birders. Other birders also want to know about them, their doings, and most fascinatingly what they observe. This is where two important resources come in. The first is the newsletter of your local Audubon Society. Every issue has a section reporting rare and interesting observations, along with the initials of the observer for each incident as well as location. In this issue, it's "Observations" on page three. The initials are keyed with the person's name at the end of the report. Taking a look through back issues will give an investigator a good overview of who would be likely to know about unusual animals in the area of investigation.

The other resource is the rare bird alert. And Micah, we have a synch! i just searched 'rare bird alert' and found out that Steve Martin, noted banjo-player mentioned by Chris O'Brien when last you were on the paracast, made an album called 'Rare Bird Alert'! i had no idea he was a birder (or is close to one). *** Anyways, the rare bird alert system is used by birders to notify each other of rare/unusual birds showing up in unexpected places, so that Obsessive Birders can go see those birds and get them on their life lists. In order not to waste people's time, the locations are pretty flippin' specific (as many hosts to small, rare birds have found to their dismay - who wants their quiet home invaded by a bunch of binocular-wielding, safari-dressed hobbyists 'psshing' incessantly, especially at dawn and dusk when birds are most active).

I am sure i do not need to point out the usefulness of this resource to anyone interested in investigating cryptids. I remember Elliot of Mysterious Universe 'explaining' a large, black winged critter sighting in the Eastern US by looking into a bird guide and seeing Andean Condors had been reported in the US....well, he reasoned, they can fly - bingo, that's what those people saw!

Of course, to be seen in that location that very unusual and rare (and incredibly easy to spot, being black, big and flying in clear daytime skies) bird would have had to cross the entire continental US. Every birder worth their salt would have been on high alert, burning up the lines (phone and net!) documenting its location, duration in each spot, etc. i order to get the less than once in a lifetime chance to see this bird flying wild. Now if all of that happened, that mysterious critter case would have been solved. If it didn't....that mysterious critter remains so. Interested parties now know to pore through the relevant Audubon Society Newsletters and rare bird alert records in order to find out.

I would be more than happy to discuss any of this with anyone interested in pursuing these resources as part of their investigations. Of course, as these 'repeat birders' spend lots of time in various wild areas they are also invaluable fonts of wisdom on other creatures in the area, as well as geology, weather, history - you name it! Being people, some are friendlier than others, but so many are very passionate about birds that they love any opportunity to discuss it."

*** i like to keep track of synchronicities as a matter of principle. After i sent this note to Micah, i pulled out a box of fabric i'd just received via online order - sitting in this box was a length of fabric from the Marcy Tilton website which she'd dubbed 'Steve Martin' stripe. And i'm listening now to the Ben Radford interview at 17 minutes in - more banjo talk!

Hope you find this of interest, steph

Like others here i very much enjoyed this interview with Chris Rutkowski ...

What a fabulous second post, and welcome to the forum :) ! On the topic of Chris Rutkowski's analogy between ufology and bird watching: I guess I'm in good company because I've also used that comparison ( Example here from 2011: http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7335047&postcount=15 ). I remember another time when I used the analogy and was promptly scolded by an avid birdwatcher who insisted bird watching is indeed a science! I guess that maybe they have a point, but I was just trying to differentiate between birdwatching ( the pastime ) and ornithology ( the science ). It seems that no matter how well my intent is I always manage to offend somebody :confused: . Anyway, I hope you have a very rewarding time on the forum. There are some really good folks here :).

Last edited:
Chris is probably my new favourite recurring guest ever since Mac Tonnies used to be on, and then Jim Moseley before him. All three of these characters have this precision of opinion that is well reasoned and carves out new perspectives on the subject matter.

It's interesting that whenever someone truly solid in the UFO field comes on though, there is such limited discussion in the forums, unlike crop circles. Maybe there's nothing much to disagree with when facts are not guessed at or speculated on. But should not the facts then provide some extended discussion? Chris gives us the real deal, lean and precise. I was very interested to hear his own research on the Fox Lake sighting that totally disputes the skeptical explanation of this high end high strange UFO from Las Vegas.

He provided a fascinating humanoid narrative contact case. I would love to have him come back again presenting on some focussed areas of research from his lengthy time involved in Canadan UFO research, starting with that unique collection of humanoid encounters that spiked their research results a year or two ago.

Either way, having Rutkowski talk about common case types and recount cases, more in depth, that we have never heard about before is excellent stuff. Even some of the tantalizing snippets from the little known cases mentioned in this episode were fascinating radio. I would love to have him provide some of his own analysis of these cases and present his own working theories on the phenomena. Please bring him back soon.

Hi ufology! "What a fabulous second post, and welcome to the forum..." Thank you so much! I think your post folds in with Burnt State's - it's a LOT of work to come up with an original idea and develop it enough to present it coherently; it's a LOT of work to do original research. Much easier to snark around. Very frustrating, but it makes it that much better when someone actually contributes!

ufology, re: birding vs. science. I've been mulling this over, i want to address two angles here. First, science is the most prestigious pursuit in our culture these days, so you get people trying to attach the science label to any pursuit they consider worthwhile in order to gather prestige by proximity. They also denigrate anything they don't like by calling it 'unscientific'.

In reality, there are many non-scientific pursuits which are quite worthwhile, and crappy science is still crappy. Well done science about something frivolous or meaningless is nothing to crow about either. But that requires deeper thought and creating subtler distinctions, so people don't have the patience for those type of discussions.

Secondly - birding can be done for various purposes. It can be a hobby, or pursued as part of an artistic pursuit (via photography, painting, etc.). But birding also has developed a group of tools and techniques (of identification especially); as well as a body of knowledge about behaviours, distribution, and so on. These tools and knowledge can be used and built upon to perform various scientific studies and experiments. For example, birders can participate as 'citizen scientists' to gather population data on various species at a wide variety of locations during specific times. Over years and decades these data can be analyzed scientifically to yield important observations about bird populations and ecology. The Christmas Bird Count is a famous example of this type of pursuit, Cornell Lab of Ornithology has been all about birders as citizen scientists for decades now.

Which is a long way of saying ufology that you hit the nail on the head. And i'm not surprised that you got 'dogged' by someone on the randi forum, i think a lot of 'skeptics' are just non-thinking science promoters. And that birder should have known better, really a big year is about the farthest thing from science imaginable. (grumblegrumble...)

Burnt State, very good comments about Mr. R. and i wholly endorse his rapid return!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! steph

Enjoyed the show with Chris Rutkowski very much. In fact, I think it's my favorite episode. You should consider having him on the Paracast at least once a year (if he'll do it).

I
Enjoyed the show with Chris Rutkowski very much. In fact, I think it's my favorite episode. You should consider having him on the Paracast at least once a year (if he'll do it).
Yes, we plan to have him on again. We always enjoy and learn from his sober assessment of the UFO mystery.

Back