• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Chris Aubeck Will Be Our Guest: Questions space fanz?

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Chris Aubeck is best known as the co-author (with Jacques Vallee) of the excellent book Wonders in the Sky that "examines more than 500 selected reports of sightings from biblical-age antiquity through the year 1879-the point at which the Industrial Revolution deeply changed the nature of human society, and the skies began to open to airplanes, dirigibles, rockets, and other opportunities for misinterpretation represented by military prototypes… they reveal that unidentified flying objects have had a major impact not only on popular culture but on our history, on our religion, and on the models of the world humanity has formed from deepest antiquity."

Aubeck was born in London. His interest in the historical and sociological aspects of unexplained aerial phenomena began at an early age. He moved to Spain aged 19 and now lives in Madrid, where he works as an interpreter and English teacher at the Madrid Development Institute. A student of folklore and philology, he has helped compile the largest collection of pre-1947 UFO cases in the world. He has spoken on his research in many articles and on public radio. In 2008 he was awarded a prize for his contributions to the field by the Spanish organization Fundación Anomalía.

In 2003 Chris Aubeck co-founded a remarkable collaborative network of librarians, students and scholars of paranormal history on the Internet. This group, known as the Magoniax Project, extends from North and Central America to Russia and Germany. It has accumulated thousands of references, searched media archives in several languages, and gathered hundreds of rare documents, scientific reports, and newspaper clippings from the last 400 years.

Please post your QUESTIONS for Chris Aubeck here.

This episode will be recorded on Tuesday, September 30 from 10 AM until Noon Pacific time.

I keep hearing stories about the dulce 1940's cave or base that was found were there was skeletons of so called greys and apache warriors.

1. What does he know of past apache encounters with these cave people i guess you can call them, the battle it seemed left behind if these stories were true, apparently the apache do have stories of monsters in a mountain cave. Donno if it was dulce.

And yes i know i know what they say about dulce stuff.

2. And what reports are there of abductions or sightings amongst prominent figures in history of America, as like Washington to the Sittingbull Era? Especially during the war?

I keep hearing stories about the dulce 1940's cave or base that was found were there was skeletons of so called greys and apache warriors...And yes i know i know what they say about dulce stuff.
If you know "what they say about the Dulce stuff" than I would suggest you listen to our show featuring Anthony Sanchez who is the one that claims he has come up w/ an anonymous "Col. X" who related the 1940s cave discovery story to him complete w/ Apache skeletons and ET technology, etc... The Paracast w/ guest Anthony Sanchez October 10, 2010 . Having said this, several researchers have torn apart Sanchez's alleged source and cast some serious doubt on Sanchez's motivations and fantastic claims. Here is the Paracast forum thread that discusses his show appearance.

Will the Magonia list data ever be put in a searchable database accessible by the general public ?

@Christopher O'Brien were you ever a part of this or asked to be ?

I was for a brief period (and so was ufology I believe ) so obvoiusly the bar wasn't set very high ;)

At the risk of sounding like a pisser, despite the names involved Chris Aubek, Jacques Vallee, Jerome Clark and Albert Rosales among others i was a bit disappointed in it. I thought within the group there would be more discussion on the events, and the effects and the aftermath of recoded events but it seemed to be just a hard facts (dates, general observances and sources ) type of thing, I'm more about the experience. Given the name "Magonia" I felt this was a natural assumption.

Also except for two very brief periods I couldn't access that vast trove of information that was already stored although being on the mailing list I would get newer reports as they came in.

To be honest i only had a few submissions myself as it was hard core researching. They weren't looking for National Enquirer stuff, much of the things reported were from professional fee based newspaper databases or appeared in church or village records. ..that type of stuff... so I get them plaudits for that.

Last edited:
If you know "what they say about the Dulce stuff" than I would suggest you listen to our show featuring Anthony Sanchez who is the one that claims he has come up w/ an anonymous "Col. X" who related the 1940s cave discovery story to him complete w/ Apache skeletons and ET technology, etc... The Paracast w/ guest Anthony Sanchez October 10, 2010 . Having said this, several researchers have torn apart Sanchez's alleged source and cast some serious doubt on Sanchez's motivations and fantastic claims. Here is the Paracast forum thread that discusses his show appearance.
Lol, i did listen to the show ;)
Was pretty funny i thought, but still there were other stories that varied in this type of area, like the local legends and such, i remember hearing Jc johnson saying something about it as well.
All in all i was just curious, i know there are many tricksters out there in form of man and spirit, I dont believe in sanchez but believe in the legends that surrounds the weird area.
And i heard the whole col x thing, could be the KFC col for all i care lol.

And yes i heard the phil schnieder stuff, and dont put much credit to anything i hear. I know there are many disinfo agents, trying to fool us or dumb us down, and admire your show for being smart. I listened to many of the shows from way back, more informed then other talk shows.

1) In "Wonders in the Sky" there are numerous examples of seemingly immaterial ball of light type UFOs. These reports often sound quite similar to more modern ones of orb-like phenomena (as for example in the "Skinwalker Ranch" case).

- Many people feel these are "just" some as yet little known natural phenomena like piezoelectricity (earthquake lights), ball lightning etc. What do you think? Are there credible cases where ball-of-light type UFOs showed undeniable intelligent behaviour?

- Could it be that foo fighters, which have often been described as moving purposefully and intelligently, were not a WW II exclusive phenomenon of their own, but part of a greater phenomenon of what I would call "intelligent lights" that has accompanied us throughout history, as some of the descriptions in "Wonders in the Sky" seem to indicate? And which has been called by many names: sacred lamps, ghost lights, mystery lights, Hessdalen phenomena, Brown Mountain / Marfa / Min-Min lights etc. etc.?

2) The account in "Wonders in the Sky" that I personally found the most fascinating was that of Reverend Abraham Cummings, who - apparently quite sceptically - investigated some alleged sightings of an apparition in 1802 and ended up seeing it himself: a rather small (football sized) whitish light morphed and grew into the apparition of a woman.

- How genuine and credible would you say the source and the story are and what do you make of it?

- Did you investigate this further? Are there any new findings or more background info you could share?

3) Why did you include the "shell-shaped floating sea-monster" sighted by the crew of the Niagara in 1813? It's the only report that doesn't include something in the sky or coming from / ascending into or whirling and zipping around in it.

- Was this included as a kind of reality check? As a forum member pointed out quite convincingly, this "sea monster" could very well have been a dead blue whale, a sight which the crew probably weren't familiar with.

- What do you think might be the percentage of historical reports in the book which do have a unusual, but mundane explanation after all?

4) Did you look at the footage captured by Alison Kruse? Lots of lights and orbs which many people find quite controversial. Do you think she might be on to something?

5) Why do you think most historical reports of moving lights in the sky had to be put into a context of warfare or religion? Is it possible, though, that this is true mainly for european sightings up to medieval times, whereas those from the same time period in Japan, China etc. were more accurate?

Thanks for making all these historical sources available for us in one place, and for the time and effort you dedicate for this fascinating work!

Last edited:
Didn't get to my original post in time to edit

I don't hear a lot about the "falling leaf" behavior that was attributed to UFO/UAP a few decades back in today's reports. Are you coming across any instances of this aspect from even further back in the past ?

What does think about the great air ship mystery .

Do he think that is possible that airplanes in some form could have been around 100's or 1000s of years in the past?

My questions for Chris Aubeck are as follows:

1. To what extent, if any, has your research focussed on interpretations and the symbolism of UFO and mythical objects as featured in biblical and/or non-secular artwork from historical periods such as the Renaissance?

2. In conducting your research, were there any specific accounts in which you recall could not be verified sufficiently for inclusion in "Wonders in the Sky?" Specifically, instances which were so unbelievable, or from sources lacking such credibility, that they weren't even worth mentioning?

Has any area of Mr. Aubeck’s research led investigators, archaeologists, or perhaps anthropologists to ancient sites where possible UAP encounters were cited in his research, and if so, is there anything of value worth sharing?

Can Mr. Aubeck possibly explain what Jacques Vallee meant when in suggesting that the concept of dimensions be abandoned, as to be considered a cultural artifact, and does Mr. Aubeck keep in contact with him?

Has Mr. Aubeck drawn any type of personal conclusion as to what his sighting, along with the narratives presented in any of his research may represent with respect to the possible emergence of phenomena?

Questions for Chris Aubeck:

1.) Do you think there was an increase in UFO activity post WWII worldwide?? Or do you believe the level activity has always been about the same, just that it was given great publicity?

2.) Are there any reports of abductions or missing time incidents in the early 1900s or before that could be tied to UFO activity?? Or do you believe this is a newer phenomenon??

1) Historically there have been a number of interesting regional patterns overt time such as foo fighters in wartime, the airships near the turn of the century, triangles over Northern Europe, Sweden's Ghost Rockets and so the list goes on. Has your research uncovered other patterns in history from areas we don't often hear from such as Asia, Africa, or circumpolar narratives?

2) Has your research uncovered any common global patterns from different regions, or that might stretch across time such as the repetition of unique objects in the air, water, or certain humanoid, robotic or polymorphic lifeforms?

3) Have you discovered any specifc symbols, inscriptions or other odd forms of communication and representations seen on crafts, uniforms or elsewhere that stand out to you as truly significant?

Have there ever been any sightings of UFOs or their occupants which correlate to historical outbreaks of famine or disease?

Some of the popular speculations of why UFOs and/or their occupants visit earth are to monitor and interfere with nuclear weaponry, abductions, bringing us a message to take care of our environment, be peaceful with one another, etc. The list can go on and on...

Historically, what were some of the speculations of the motives of the UFOs visiting earth among the cultures you have studied?

Back