• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Can anyone remember a guest on the paracast who was an expert in taking measurements from Photos?

Han

piscator ψ
Dear Paracasters, I can remember a Guest of the show talking about being trained to take measurements from Photographs, but I can not for the life of me remember who it was, I have tried using the search feature to no avail, any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Do you mean Bruce Maccabee? I don't remember anyone ever specifically talking about how to do this yourself as it's fairly involved work especially if you are going to deal with depth. Now there's some handy dandy software where you take a picture of a specific target object that is inside the frame of your shot, then upload your image to the software and now using that target object you have measurements of everything in the frame.

Some of the great problems in determining accuracy in the size and distance of objects is the issue of scale - just how far away is it and is the image faithfully recording just how far away the object is. We've heard a lot about atmospheric density and the pixelated haze around objects that are far away from the lens vs. objects that have well defined, crystal clear edges to them and are consequently much closer to the camera. Many UFO images have been debunked because of scale issues where the miniature toy train wheel dangled on a line suddenly is transformed into a quintessential saucer. Without being on the scene to replicate the photo and taking measurements live and in person it gets very hard to determine just how big or how far away it is.

Related tangent: I've been looking at these images from Cluj for the last few days trying to determine similar questions (the first photo in the series of three is posted below). Was the initial scientific rendering of size, and scale accurate or was it all a sham? Either way, it makes for a great UFO story with great documentation of the trajectory of the object in three photos in the series. It reminds us of many other UFO photo series. But it also looks a lot like the Heflin object does it not? So perhaps it's a lot closer to us than we think. Perhaps it really is impossible to take a picture of a UFO.

Hoia-Baciu-Haunted-ForestUFO-Romania.jpg Heflin19651.jpg
this image above is from the Heflin series

Last edited:
The more I look at Cluj and Heflin the more I suspect that for once we have actual documentation of either the exact same ship visiting two different places on earth, or two different people using the exact same object to hoax a saucer photo.

Back