• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Beyond the Edge Radio, Gralien Report, and Monstertalk

Konrad Hartmann

Paranormal Maven
I listened to a couple of interesting things this week.
BTE Entertainment Presents... - Home
BTE did a good show with Chris O'Brien. The radio player is a little hard to find, kinda wedged in the middle of the page with some ads, but it's there. Chris mentioned getting a copy of Liber Novus, and I'd be interested in hearing his (or anyone else's) take on it. (Stephan Hoeller did an interesting lecture on it Jung and the Red Book - Dr. Stephan Hoeller)
By the way, they are doing an upcoming show with Rosemary Ellen Guiley. (This Week - BTE Entertainment Presents...)

REG was also on the Gralien Report-
The Gralien Report Podcast for April 16, 2013 - The Gralien Report
I enjoyed that.

Finally, Monstertalk interviewed Christopher Josiffe about Gef the Talking Mongoose, a (more benevolent) Brown Jenkin like creature on the Isle of Mann.
Skeptic » Podcasts » MonsterTalk » Episode Notes for What’s Good for the Mongoose…

I've been listening to a lot of Monstertalk lately, though sometimes I feel their skeptical mocking tone does not always make for great radio. I do really like the detailed facts and usual thorough investigations, though at times their guests sometimes present a very limited frame for the subject matter.

Gef is a family favorite paranormal tale - can not get enough of that story. This one was fairly detailed but missed out on some of the richer elements of Gef as violent and threatening.

I've also been listening to Mysteries Abound - something about his pacing and good writing makes this pretty easy to listen to:

Episode 53 - Attack of the Nazi Talking Dogs

Some might find it a little too close to just recanting stories, but many are entirely unknown to me and the diversity of mysteries in each podcast is very appealing.

I've been listening to a lot of Monstertalk lately, though sometimes I feel their skeptical mocking tone does not always make for great radio. I do really like the detailed facts and usual thorough investigations, though at times their guests sometimes present a very limited frame for the subject matter.

Gef is a family favorite paranormal tale - can not get enough of that story. This one was fairly detailed but missed out on some of the richer elements of Gef as violent and threatening.

I've also been listening to Mysteries Abound - something about his pacing and good writing makes this pretty easy to listen to:

Episode 53 - Attack of the Nazi Talking Dogs

Some might find it a little too close to just recanting stories, but many are entirely unknown to me and the diversity of mysteries in each podcast is very appealing.

Thanks, Burnt. I didn't see the link for Episode 53, but I listened to the one that mentioned the Wright brothers and whether they were actually first to fly. It is a well-done show; I'll have to check out the others.

I agree about MonsterTalk. There's often a theme of 'well, as a child I believed in such things, but as an adult...' I seem to recall them having one or two skeptical activists types (way to take on the low-hanging fruit of the paranormal, activists!) on, but I don't think I finished listening to them. The show sometimes displays a binary scientific/non-scientific, rational/idiotic frame of reference that does a disservice to the experience of people as well as to understanding the reason why people experience things in a certain way. That said, they do seem to research things to a commendable extent, pay attention to folklore that many paranormal researchers ignore, and often show respect and restraint towards the more unwashed and irrational guests. And they often have some really good guests.

What were the more menacing aspects of Gef?

I listened to a couple of interesting things this week.
BTE Entertainment Presents... - Home
BTE did a good show with Chris O'Brien. The radio player is a little hard to find, kinda wedged in the middle of the page with some ads, but it's there. Chris mentioned getting a copy of Liber Novus, and I'd be interested in hearing his (or anyone else's) take on it. (Stephan Hoeller did an interesting lecture on it Jung and the Red Book - Dr. Stephan Hoeller)​
It is truly an amazing compilation of Jung's writing and paintings during his early process of discovering and refining his theories of the collective unconscious. I use it like the I-Ching. When I have a question, I open it up and put my finger down... every time what I read has tremendous wisdom and provides me with insight into my question. The paintings — many of them mandalas— resonate down to levels of the subconscious I may never understand. I was so lucky to grab a first-edition, large size copy. At the time the $300 price tag was daunting, but I don't regret buying it at all. It stands (literally) head and shoulders above all the hundreds (maybe a thousand?) of books in my library!​
Jung-21634329.6LJv3nCl.18TheCastl.jpg
junggallery-23371055ada4acfd278dd461c4474e5c65c845bb-s6-c10.jpg

What were the more menacing aspects of Gef?

I remember reading about Gef threatening people with violence and trashing rooms, even claiming the power to kill people.

On another thread talking about podcast locations, Spookymulder suggested "The Hidden Experience." The podcaster is a little too guilty of talking about themselves too much but some pretty bizarre stories are explored - very entertaining if you enjoy odd narratives with frequent reference to direct contact wth alien humanoids, if that happens to be your fetish.
hidden experience: Audio conversation with Chase Kloetzke

It is truly an amazing compilation of Jung's writing and paintings during his early process of discovering and refining his theories of the collective unconscious. I use it like the I-Ching. When I have a question, I open it up and put my finger down... every time what I read has tremendous wisdom and provides me with insight into my question. The paintings — many of them mandalas— resonate down to levels of the subconscious I may never understand. I was so lucky to grab a first-edition, large size copy. At the time the $300 price tag was daunting, but I don't regret buying it at all. It stands (literally) head and shoulders above all the hundreds (maybe a thousand?) of books in my library!

I think my wife paid about $100 for my copy, but it must been at the end of '09 when she bought it. The Rubin Museum in Chelsea had an exhibit on the Red Book around that time. I think the sunwheel painting above was one of the things that really compelled me to go see it. I think the paintings may resonate with the viewer regardless of interests and background. I feel a number of similarities between the mandalas and other art forms (such as galdrastafir and hex signs and a great quantity of Eastern material) and part of the function of these forms seems to be using the structure to channel, contain, or direct energies. Image 163 above, the fort design, is also interesting in this regard. I remember reading through a book some years ago about medieval and renaissance fortifications designs. The angles were designed to provide an optimum of intersecting fields of fire, and basically force an attacking force into certain areas of the structure. It's curious to see that painting and to think of a medieval fortress as a physical representation of an abstract design.

What I also like about Jung's approach with Liber Novus is that he didn't seem to want to push it as a sort of holy book for others; instead, he advised people to create their own Red Books.

Back