• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Atlantis - Mystery Solved?

tokarski21

Paranormal Novice
Do we need to keep searching for Atlantis? Recent research that has studied the genetic origins of the major crops on Earth may deal a serious blow to Plato's mysterious missing civilization. Here's a link to an 8 minute video that summarizes the findings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvT44vbkhA
Mystery solved? What do you think?
ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Do we need to keep searching for Atlantis? Recent research that has studied the genetic origins of the major crops on Earth may deal a serious blow to Plato's mysterious missing civilization. Here's a link to an 8 minute video that summarizes the findings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvT44vbkhA
Mystery solved? What do you think?
ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Interesting video. Atlantis will always be a mystery. Ireland was siad to be Atlantis. A professer from Norway wrote a book about it. I think he was from Norway. Saying the descriptions Plato described match Ireland.

The problem Ireland never sunk . True, but we no for a fact. Islands of the coast of Ireland sunk into the ocean thousands of years ago.I think he found evidence according to him when he visited ancient sites in Ireland.

I think some evidence was found at Newgrange nothing rock solid for truth. Anyway this is that person's opinion.

As we now others say South America was more likely. Others say Spain or it was once of the coast of Africa. Everybody has a opinion.

Interesting video. Atlantis will always be a mystery. Ireland was siad to be Atlantis. A professer from Norway wrote a book about it. I think he was from Norway. Saying the descriptions Plato described match Ireland.

The problem Ireland never sunk . True, but we no for a fact. Islands of the coast of Ireland sunk into the ocean thousands of years ago.I think he found evidence according to him when he visited ancient sites in Ireland.

I think some evidence was found at Newgrange nothing rock solid for truth. Anyway this is that person's opinion.

As we now others say South America was more likely. Others say Spain or it was once of the coast of Africa. Everybody has a opinion.

Not that I beleive it to be atlantis, but I find the Bimini road to be quite interesting.

That video doesn't take into account the possibility that other, very ancient civilizations may have existed and been destroyed long before the current wave of human development. The idea that there may have been advanced civilization before more than 10,000 years ago is not really even treated as a subject worthy of serious investigation. That's kook territory.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

My candidate is Santorini. Right place, right time, righteous explosion took out parts of Crete as well. Refugees wound up in Egypt, for sure, no doubt all over the Med.

santorini_lrg.jpg

That video doesn't take into account the possibility that other, very ancient civilizations may have existed and been destroyed long before the current wave of human development. The idea that there may have been advanced civilization before more than 10,000 years ago is not really even treated as a subject worthy of serious investigation. That's kook territory.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

Even after countless documentaries showing that 99.9% of the traces of humanity would dissapear in 10,000 years, you gotta wonder how people can be so arrogant as to think that intelligent life (possibly even more intelligent than us) could not have existed.

Personally, if we found evidence of an advanced civ. from 100,000+ years ago I wouldn't be all that surprised. Maybe that would explain some of the strange things people claim to have seen on the moon.

Even after countless documentaries showing that 99.9% of the traces of humanity would dissapear in 10,000 years, you gotta wonder how people can be so arrogant as to think that intelligent life (possibly even more intelligent than us) could not have existed.

Personally, if we found evidence of an advanced civ. from 100,000+ years ago I wouldn't be all that surprised. Maybe that would explain some of the strange things people claim to have seen on the moon.
I don't see why it's a huge stretch of imagination to forward that it's possible that humans have been around for possibly billions of years and that this planet is just one of many inhabited by the species. The Universe is full of surprises.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

My candidate is Santorini. Right place, right time, righteous explosion took out parts of Crete as well. Refugees wound up in Egypt, for sure, no doubt all over the Med.

santorini_lrg.jpg
Frickin' Holy Jeebus! Can you imagine chilling out on the beach and watching that go "BOOM!"?
I wonder if it will rain buffalo in Texas when Yellowstone pops.

Anyone interested in the big-flood mythos should by all means check out the work of Stanislov Szukalski, especially his book "Behold The Protong."
If you don't have that one in your library, Schuyler, your collection is incomplete.
Behold the Protong! | MetaFilter
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Don't get me wrong, it would be very interesting to see evidence of a civilization from that long ago, but I would be astounded if it were true. 10,000 years is a long time, but not enough to completely bury all evidence of such people. The pyramids have been around for what, 5000 years?? They don't seem to be going anywhere fast. Just trash alone from our current civilization will last for eons.

I don't buy into the documentaries saying this, it just seems much to short a time frame. Steel beams, concrete, metals, massive desert cities like Phoenix, etc. All these things would still be here, IMO.

Yet we are still in a conundrum. If evolutionary theory is correct, then we have had the same brain structure for the past 200,000 years approximately. And in the last 200-300 we have built all these large complexes with todays technology. So could it have happened in the past?? I don't know, but I don't think so at this point. A progression from basic shelter, basic stone tools to metal tools to fabricating large complex structures took a very long time. At least thousands of years with an exponential leap at the very end.

I would venture to guess that humanity has waxed and waned considerably in the past, probably nearing extinction several times. Maybe the demographics and human population distributions inhibited the development of such large scale cities. I just don't think it is likely that very ancient and very advanced civilizations like ours existed. It's just my provisional thinking right now. I would welcome any contrary evidence if it exists.

Either way I have always been interested in Atlantis and wonder if there ever was such a city. Maybe it is just a blending of utopian vision, flooded cities, and developing locales that Plato took and wrote about. And maybe it's not. Interesting thread. Maybe it is in one of the links I haven't read yet, but a guy named Frank Joseph had some interesting things to say about ancient archeology like Lemuria and Atlantis. I don't know how credible he is, but he seemed pretty reasonable in an interview I heard some time ago.

Yet we are still in a conundrum. If evolutionary theory is correct, then we have had the same brain structure for the past 200,000 years approximately. And in the last 200-300 we have built all these large complexes with todays technology. So could it have happened in the past?? I don't know, but I don't think so at this point. A progression from basic shelter, basic stone tools to metal tools to fabricating large complex structures took a very long time. At least thousands of years with an exponential leap at the very end.
Let's face it. for most of our evolutionery lifespan as humans (100,000 - 200,000 years or so) we didn't bother with cities and civilisation. We were preoccupied with hunting, with our own tribes, our own rituals, with nature, and all that time our minds were developing into something new, which this planet has (probably, just to cover myself) never seen before.

I think that we probably spent most of our collective lifespan as a spiecies in a similar way that native Americans did. Perhaps we needed this period to develop our minds to the complex things they are today. Without farming, during an ice age, life would have been tough, and that would have been a simple fact. But for those who did survive, they had culture, buried their dead. In Europe, at around the time that the Neanderthals were dying out, archeaologists have found little stone statues which resemble a pregnant woman all across the continent. This indicates at least an exchange of ideas, or even a sort of continent wide devotion to a fertility goddess. They think that the Neanderthals died out because of a lack of communication between other Neanderthal tribes.

So even without farming, culture was being exchanged between peoples. What farming allowed for was relible food which was less time consuming and energy wasting than going hunting.

So, as we got lazy, we started to build the modern world:D

So, as we got lazy, we started to build the modern world:D
I think we should stick to this model. In a perfect world I would be able to just sit around and play music, drink, and screw, and the robots would do everything else.

I think we should stick to this model. In a perfect world I would be able to just sit around and play music, drink, and screw, and the robots would do everything else.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>
Amen to that brother!

Now that's Utopia!

You ever read any Iain M. Banks scifi novels? They're based around a society of humans called the culture who have space travel, and are basically one giant hippy commune, where robots do everything, but if you want a little action, you can become part of the special circumstances agency where you can be a spy. There is no money, and you can pretty much do anything you want. They live in giant rings a la halo so as not to endanger the environment of a planet. That's my kind of future! They're cracking reads. The author has described it as "hippies with nukes". If you haven't read them, you should check them out. The books usually focus on someone on the edge of this society, or someone who is from the outside and is experiencing the culture.

I finally watched the vid. So this guy thinks that he can solve the mystery with a search of the Internet and put up a bunch of Wikipedia entries. As far as his analysis is concerned, it is correct. I studied the domestication of corn extensively. They started out as little tiny husks until domestication caused genetic alteration and it became viable as a food source. But I have to say: So what? he says cereal type plants are a precursor to civilization, and he has traced those plants that produced the civilizations we know about. That says nothing about the past. Is he sure, though, that wheat, for example, is a recently domesticated plant? Could it not have existed before? Could ANOTHER cereal plant have existed before? Of course.

He also stated that it would have been difficult to have a civilization before the end of the last ice age. Well, let's just examine that, shall we? The end of the last ice age, about 12,000 years ago, resulted in a sea level rise of about sixty feet worldwide. Now, if there were an ancient 'civilization,' on the rise, where would they settle? On the seacoast. The sea is a big highway and there's lots of food in it.

Now take a look at Hudson Bay. It's an old meteor strike, filled with water. During the last ice age it was frozen over and there was ice all along its coast. Have you ever seen Lake Michigan in winter when it freezes near the shore? The ice on the shore builds up several feet. I remember walking along it and I believe it was about 8-10 feet above the lake itself. The same thing happened around Hudson Bay, though likely the ice ring around the bay was taller.

OK, the ice age starts to end. Hudson Bay, being saltwater, unfreezes first, before the land ice does. So the land ice ring is holding back billions of tons of water. The ice dam starts melting too. then one day, it breaks. All that water is released into the Atlantic Ocean. The sea level rises 60 feet in a matter of hours, and that struggling seacoast civilization in India and thereabouts, goes under water in a heartbeat.

There's your flood story. There's Atlantis. This civilization my have had writing. They may have figured out a lot of stuff, but they probably were still working mostly in stone, much like the Greeks. Their buildings are still underwater. Fishermen still snag their nets on its outcrops, and they report seeing glittering buildings beneath the seas from time to time.

The thing is, this theory does not counteract anything we already know. The general course of human evolution stays intact and does not require any modification. We know there was an ice age. We know how those ice dams work. There was another similar dam break, again in Canada, that carved out the Columbia Basin, took all the top soil with it, and exited at the mouth of the Columbia River dividing Oregon and Washington State. This is something that science accepts, by the way.

Those of you who think Global Warming is a problem might want to check this out: JOURNEY OF MANKIND - The Peopling of the World It shows what happened to our population last time we had an ice age. You also might enjoy Underworld, by Graham Hancock: Amazon.com: Underworld: The Mysterious Origins of Civilization (9781400049516): Graham Hancock: Books which elaborates on this theory in detail.

Back