• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

April 27, 2014 Matty Beckerman

This was an excellent show with an excellent guest. Both Gene and Chris drew out his knowledge and thoughts well. Matty is an honest film maker who did an excellent job with the subject of his film. I through enjoyed the interview and discussion until Gene and Chris decided that they needed to educate Matty that U.F.O.s were more than space ships. It then became too frustrating to listen to the interview get derailed.

Sorry, but I guess I'm one of the guys Mr Beckerman mentioned, who aren't fans of found footage movies. Not because I get sick from the shaky camera, but because they often openly aim to disturb people and at the possibility that they might believe it's real. Which I think is even dangerous, because there are people with mental instabilities.

I wasn't very impressed with Blair Witch (all that viral marketing for an IMO rather tired movie), and I thought "The 4th kind" downright questionable, with the disturbing footage being presented as real. I don't mind things like "Cloverfield" though, because everyone knows that there is no giant monster having New York for lunch (which of course made the whole "found footage" nonsense obsolete).

I really hope this movie does the same (not pretend to be real footage). Beckerman comes across as genuinely interested in the phenomena, really wanting to show what he's been told by witnesses. But I'm not at all convinced that he doesn't just play up some tall tales to jump on that same bandwagon of the "4th kind". Connecting a real phenomenon with cheap scares and disturbing footage.

And sorry, I don't think anyone is going to want to look into genuine phenomena after watching a movie like that.

Oh well, maybe I'm a little jaded concerning movie and TV people :oops:

Last edited:
Well, I saw it. It isn't bad, nor great either. I give it about 2 &1/2 stars. It definitely is set up to make you believe its real, though at the very end of the credits it says it fictitious.

Actually, the story is somewhat far fetched so I don't think anyone would believe that its real.

The aliens are okay, but you don't get a very clear view of them.

On the positive side, there's a lot of energy in the film.

After hearing this guest on another show, I was excited to watch the movie. I rented it today and give it a watch. Long story short, it suffers from "found footage"-itis. That is, most of the images and sounds are people running around in the dark, breathing heavily or screaming, while lights flash around. Sometimes you see a cool-looking alien (I liked their design, and they didn't look like CGI monsters). It didn't make me nauseous, but it was frustrating to watch.

Unfortunately, the film didn't really hold my interest. It rips off better alien abduction movies. It felt like a lower-quality version of the end sequence of V/H/S 2, which handled this subject matter with a greater degree of quality and ingenuity.

You might enjoy it if you don't mind a surface-level found footage monster movie. I wanted to like it, but came away bored. You're better off watching the aforementioned V/H/S 2, or even The Fourth Kind.

Please, Chris, let me know how I can support bringing in the Pixies to interview.

Surfer Rosa was literally in my cd player during at least one of my weirdest visitation experiences. I'd love to have them on the show.

PS. You're right: live, not so much. But the studio albums were the soundtrack to much of my life.

Great show. I grew up in North Carolina and never heard that there was any insidious activity associated with the Brown Mountain lights. It was always played up as a natural phenomena that attracted tourists.

Please, Chris, let me know how I can support bringing in the Pixies to interview.
I just received "Bossanova" (Charles most sci-fi/ufo album). Can't wait to get re-acquainted with the Pixie surf-punk side. I REALLY like the new album. I would have sequenced the songs slightly differently, but imo it's an instant classic. If you can get an invite to him, it is a possible coup. I've never heard him state for-the-record what his "ufo" experiences consisted of, etc.

Is it only my perception or could artists or creative people in general be more likely to have a sighting / paranormal experience of some sort compared to the average?
Seems to me that John Lennon and Robbie Williams are only the tip of the iceberg.

If I'm not mistaken, parapsychologists say that outgoing creative people are the test persons who will score highest in ESP tests. Coincidence?

I'd like to listen to a show discussing these cases in general, comparing the sightings etc. I'm guessing Robbie Williams won't be available as a guest, though. Seems he backed off, the sissy.

Back