• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

April 26, 2015: We Remember Tom Adams with David Perkins

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
The late paranormal researcher, Tom Adams, was a go-to person for many of his fellow travelers. Our own Chris O'Brien, his colleague, David Perkins, and other researchers I've worked with over the years, such as reporter Curt Sutherly.

Although I didn't now Tom all that well, I did encounter him often over the years, particularly in the 1970s through 1990s, and I am glad we could acquaint you with the work of this unsung hero.

Your comments are welcomed.

I enjoyed the episode. On balance, Tom Adams strikes me as a somewhat tragic figure.

I'm glad you urged Chris to elaborate on his experience with suspicious character. That was remarkable.

Good show. Thanks to David and Chris for sharing their friends life with us. Also cool/creepy on the experiences you both went through while conducting investigations. After show question, do either of you ever hear of these odd occurrences like phone tapping, strange people showing up, etc these days?

Also cool/creepy on the experiences you both went through while conducting investigations. After show question, do either of you ever hear of these odd occurrences like phone tapping, strange people showing up, etc these days?
No, not me. I can't speak for David, but he hasn't mentioned anything to me as of late.

Hmmm...where's the commentary and support for an unsung hero? I just finished the episode yesterday and I think wwkirk has it right. It's a tragic tale and I suppose not too many people can get into that space or celebrate that work. I found it both sad and kind of a morality tale for those who would venture off the couch and ramble out into the world to look at strange mutilated cow carcasses, and deal with the aftermath of such personal choices that may include paranoia and personal deterioration.
eiMd9Le4T.png

If you ever dared to challenge power in a way where it's you against the system, you know that the system has way more resources that you, small, lone individual and you best be prepared. It can't be much fun to be stalked, have your mail opened, your phone tapped etc. but when you start to surface and become visible because of the questions you're asking well that's how it goes. Meeting with gov't agents that cross your path all of a sudden, ain't encouraging. Even talking with them for legtimate reasons i have to be quite the head trip. You get a real sense of what it means to be known by the PTB. You need to have a stomach for certain things.

I remember once in the bar I was working in I used to spend spare time researching a bit of the underbelly of the town. The bar was the pre-eminent dive of the city, often violent, and I thought talking to some of the more relaxed Saturday afternoon regulars might be a good place to start. My innocent questions with a guy I thought was pretty decent, compared to the more wild clientele and dock workers, took an interesting turn. My asks about biker gangs vs. mafia - who held more sway in town, was met with a surprisingly quick, direct response,"Listen, let me give you some advice. You start asking questions like that then very soon someone's going to come in here and sit you down nicely once and say, 'You need to stop asking questions like that or bad things could happen to you.' " and then he stared at me like i was in some 70's drama and says, "You know, I could be that person." I quickly decided to change and redirect my writing interests. Getting threatened by someone not drunk was not my cup of tea. Chris's tale of home invasions - no joy there, harrowing, actually. Do we appreciate the challenges and risks these investigators take?

And once real paranoia takes root - well that's just soul destroying. I found this episode to be heavy with the weight of decades of dead cow bodies, in a pile over the grave of Tom Adams. This was not a good story. I was thankful for Chris and Dave's ability to keep things lighter by churning up good memories and good times despite the outcomes and self imposed isolation of this man. The accomplishments were of a specific time and obviously had a lot of influence on you two. I'm glad you did this episode as this is unspoken history and it's about an individual effort trying to add up to something while chasing a mystery. There's a lesson there in all of it I think.

Last edited:
Hmmm...where's the commentary and support for an unsung hero?
Yeah, the silence is deafening. Oh well, he was very important to me and my process and the least I could do is share some stories and reminisce a bit. Hopefully, someone will feel so inspired when I kick the bucket into that next level.

Yeah, the silence is deafening. Oh well, he was very important to me and my process and the least I could do is share some stories and reminisce a bit. Hopefully, someone will feel so inspired when I kick the bucket into that next level.

I will go out and mutilate a few cows in your honour, but in such a way as to make people wonder WTF ? for years to come.

At the very least i will mutilate a few big macs and leave them in places that will make people wonder WTF ? for years to come

OK it will prob be just a few cans of TVP opened with a laser and seasoned with enough trinidad chilli even predators wont touch it

I will go out and mutilate a few cows in your honour, but in such a way as to make people wonder WTF ? for years to come.

At the very least i will mutilate a few big macs and leave them in places that will make people wonder WTF ? for years to come

OK it will prob be just a few cans of TVP opened with a laser and seasoned with enough trinidad chilli even predators wont touch it

That assumes that there is some beef in the big macs. Otherwise, you could be mutilating some concoction of chemicals.

I haven't had time to listen to this show yet but have a question. Why do Gene and Chris think this man was a target of so much intimidation? What was he saying or about to say about the mute phenomena?

We never said we thought he was the "target of so much intimidation." I don't have the foggiest notion where you got that! Listen to the episode before you assume such a thing, please?

We never said we thought he was the "target of so much intimidation." I don't have the foggiest notion where you got that! Listen to the episode before you assume such a thing, please?

Please do excuse me all to heck. I posted that I hadn't had time yet to listen to the episode. My question was inspired by some of the things said about this man's experiences in this thread.

You misinterpreted what was being said about Adams by someone other than me. I think their statement was meant rhetorically, not literally. And I didn't mean to "jump down your throat" I simply suggested that you listen to the show before assuming anything—especially if you put my name on it, etc.

It was entirely rhetorical as the episode spoke to COB's actual experience of a home invasion and i was thinking about what are the consequences for individuals that dare to go out into the world and challenge the PTB by meddling in the affairs that power may not want to be meddled with. It was only suggested by this episode that it may have been Tom's experience as well, but not confirmed. Perkins also spoke to the intimidation factors he personally experienced. I brought this up as noteworthy, as it takes a special kind of person who can boldly persist in investigating the mutilated cattle, and I thought it spoke in some ways to the man's character, that he would operate the way he did in the circumstances of what he investigated.

We talk a lot here on the forum on how important the researcher is and this story of an individual effort I found to be particularly poignant and obviously very personal for David Perkins and Christopher O'Brien. It outlined what are the complications involved with those who choose to do this work and I applaud the courage and tenacity involved. I don't relish it though, but then we all pick our own battles and our own poison. Warnings are attached with good reason, as this work is not for everyone and in that way this episode gets well logged along with other episodes that documented the life work of those who have struggled in a field that has little glory or reward.

I had no idea who Adams was and found this episode quite interesting because it paints a picture of the researcher as a whole as well as his contributions to a very peculiar field of research. He sounds like an extraordinary character to have chosen to undertake the work that he did with the energy he did, and then to subsequently disappear from the entire field in the manner that he did. I really don't come away with the impression that intimidation and/or paranoia are the primary in Adams' disappearance from the Scene. The economic hardship explanation seems to make more sense, especially if he lived in a rural area, had little family or community support and was slightly socially awkward or introverted and then got laid off - all of which seem to have been the case.

Under that kind of reading, if Adams was looking into an abyss and the abyss looked back, it wasn't some mutilated bovine that was confronting him - it was the reality of living as a poor person in America. It sounds like he manned up and did what he needed to do to survive. At one point someone says something like after he died they found his desk covered with unopened letters from the researchers he used to work with. To me this suggests that he hadn't given up his research passion or friendships, but that he recognized that until things changed they would have to take second place to whatever was going on in his life now. Who knows, at the end he may have been dreaming about the luxury of standing in some far-flung field with a group of friends sorting out the mystery of some strangely mutilated livestock.

Back