• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Paracast+ Update!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
After working on the project for several years, The Paracast+ debuted last November. The original concept was discussed by me and one of our former salespeople, Gil Bavel, but it required permission by our network, GCN, to post ad-free versions of that show.

When we got that permission last year, we went into action and, within days, we got the service running. Rather than build a whole infrastructure from scratch — which would have been expensive, or require several volunteer web developers — we used the built-in member upgrade feature of our forum software, XenForo.

We mixed that with a special add-on known as XenForo Resource Manager, for posting and managing the premium shows, made a few customizations to switch the setup from "resources" to "episodes" (although there's still some mentions of the former here and there), and set up permissions so only subscribers would see the premium content.

Within a few weeks, After The Paracast premiered. It's an open-ended premium podcast that features discussions and, sometimes, interviews that expand upon that week's episode of The Paracast. Or moves in an entirely different direction. There's also an open chat room, and we expect to expand that ultimately to include scheduled online chat sessions.

As some of you have made abundantly clear, subscribing to Paracast+ isn't quite as easy as it should be. It requires joining the forums, and upgrading your membership to one of our three subscription packages. The upgrade subscription is processed through PayPal since XenForo builds in support for that payment method.

This is where some of you have problems. If you want to upgrade, say, a one-month membership to a one-year or five-year membership, you need to cancel your subscription in PayPal so you'll no longer be charged for the service you no longer want. I wish it were easier, but that's how XenForo and PayPal have set it up.

Maybe you don't have a PayPal membership. Maybe you don't want one, but that's the only way we can set up automatic member upgrades and recurring subscriptions with our existing structure. If you want to join without PayPal, you may send us your payment directly, by a money order or direct deposit to our bank account. We do it for a year, minimum, because there's no way to automatically send out reminders when your membership needs to be renewed. So at the end of the year, when you no longer have access to the premium area, you'll have to remember to renew.

We have made improvements designed to make your Paracast+ subscription work better. All or most new or recurring members now receive a personal conversation message in our forum that explains how to use our premium service. That should answer most of your questions.

Right now the visible impact to the forum consists of the presence two new items in the forum's nav bar at the upper part of the page: Chat Room and The Paracast+ and a new forum board, The Paracast+ Discussions. You have to blink twice to see them, and they are only available to those of you who have subscribed. They provide direct access to the ad-free version of The Paracast and After The Paracast, along with a special area where you can discuss the shows.

We have also set up an authenticated RSS feed for The Paracast+ that works in iTunes and podcast apps that support this feed, such as Downcast for iOS. All you need do is login with your member name and password to see the latest episodes.

I realize the visual impact to our forum is subtle, but we're working on a way to make it work better. We're currently testing a new version of XenForo and the Resource Manager on another of our forums: The Tech Night Owl LIVE Community Forums Subscriber's to that show's premium service will also see a Latest Episodes list in the forum sidebar at the right. That should make it easier for you to find the episodes you want to hear. Since the software is still beta quality, we won't put it here until we know it's reliable. But it's no more than a few weeks away.

Response from members is off the charts, and we have an 80-90% retention rate, meaning most of you want to continue to enjoy the benefits of The Paracast+. As promised, we are working on video content, and we hope it won't be long before those segments appear.

We welcome your support and your questions on how to make the system better. Again, we are constrained by the structure of our forum and add-ons, but there are ways we can probably customize the setup further with some guidance.

I joined the Paracast + primarily to support a show I really enjoy. The ATP podcasts were a bonus.

But I've recently thought that you could also offer an extra something to subscribers that I'm assuming wouldn't cost anything: release the plus episodes a day or so earlier than the free episodes.

It's far from a deal-breaker more a nice to have, wonder what other subscribers think? And maybe Plus subscribers raving about a show in the forums before general release might encourage others to sign up?

Anyway, just a thought.

That will probably represent a problem with our network. We offer the ad-free version with their indulgence, and scooping them may not be the best option.

the more interactive you make the Paracast Plus environment the more rich the materials and content will become, the more people will subscribe. create playzones for people - build it and they will come.

We have a custom Paracast+ board on this forum, places for ratings/reviews, and I hope to do more. Just need suggestions and ways to implement.

It's a shame more posters are not partaking of the Paracast+ forum reviews. Generally around 50 to 60 people listen to Paracast+ and the After the show talk. There have been just two people making comments on those two talk shows. Everyone who spends their money on these services should take advantage of commenting.

Count me in. I'm new, and definitely going to renew my membership..great idea I had to ask for it for Christmas. Having a lot of fun burning through the After the Paracast archive:p

To be honest, the reason I don't post more in the custom Paracast+ is that if I'm going to take the time and effort to craft a post, I want it to be visible to the widest amount of members possible for the liveliest discussion.

I also think talking about After The Paracast shows in the main forum will hopefully convince any fence-sitters to actually subscribe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a shame more posters are not partaking of the Paracast+ forum reviews. Generally around 50 to 60 people listen to Paracast+ and the After the show talk. There have been just two people making comments on those two talk shows. Everyone who spends their money on these services should take advantage of commenting.
It's much much more than that. Most members download show files via a feed so it doesn't reflect in the totals.

The fact remains... myself and one other person are leaving comments on Paracast +. There needs to be more involvement. Sitting on the sidelines doesn't help at all.

Well, in proportion to our listenership, only a small number of people participate in these forums on a regular basis. We'd love to see far more get involved.

I thought Chris makes excellent some points, if you asked me what two things I would want on the paracast+ forums the two least things I would use would be a chat room and yet another forum to post comments, I suppose I could just copy and paste any comments from the regular forum into the +forums but it's far more important i think to post commentary in the standard forums to entice any holdouts and newcomers to join, I just don't see any advantage to posting in an additional section unless it was a set up to keep out trolls and spam and stuff and there isn't really any issues with that in the regular forum. Additional members only access to things like video or maybe if Gene could set up mutual discounts to other related podcasts like MU or Gralien X would be cool but nobody wants or needs to see my rants posted twice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. We do have an open chat room in Paracast+, but we have to subscribe to something better for more features. That's in the works.

Mutual discounts? Neat, but the structure of our subscription system might make it difficult to implement. We'll see.

After I wrote that i wondered if it would be doable or beneficial to offer a package deal with someone like Micah. In other words for $8.00 month or similar fee be a member of both services but I suppose even if it could be developed would it be anymore advantageous to anyone to have one centralized account?

I thought Chris makes excellent some points, if you asked me what two things I would want on the paracast+ forums the two least things I would use would be a chat room and yet another forum to post comments, I suppose I could just copy and paste any comments from the regular forum into the +forums but it's far more important i think to post commentary in the standard forums to entice any holdouts and newcomers to join, I just don't see any advantage to posting in an additional section unless it was a set up to keep out trolls and spam and stuff and there isn't really any issues with that in the regular forum. Additional members only access to things like video or maybe if Gene could set up mutual discounts to other related podcasts like MU or Gralien X would be cool but nobody wants or needs to see my rants posted twice.
though on the regular forum there are these dust ups that can happen whereas in the plus section you could potentially dialogue with others without getting all emotional or personal but still able to really engage a topic thoroughly. It just seems very few want to post there.

Back