• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Digitized music from Dean Fagerstrom

This seems to be the heart of the issue. I'm gonna throw an idea out here: IIIIIIIF there's an intelligence channeling this to him it could be limited by the fact that he doesn't know how to play. Maybe he's a faulty instrument.

Very good point. I would also add that IIIIIIIF there's an intelligence channeling this to him, why would we assume that the music produced would be what we consider good, even if played perfectly. I suppose it is possible that it could sound exactly like that, being so alien to us.

Or maybe what is being channeled to him isn't music at all. Maybe it is information that the brain cannot process as it is meant to be, and the brain instead mistakenly converts it to musical output.

That being said, I call shenanigans. It is not a lack of Mr. Fagerstroms ability that leads me to that. On the contrary, it is the skill level he displays. That, and a couple of his methods, are very indicative of someone who has a very basic knowledge of some musical concepts, combined with a long standing half-hearted interest in playing instruments and the ability to play by ear to a degree.

It in fact sounds so remarkably similar to how I played the piano at 13 years old, that it brought back memories about how much time my friends and I spent at our piano and monstrous organ. I was on my fourth year of saxophone lessons then, and thought I could play every other instrument known to man.

Thanks for converting this for us David, and props to Mr. Imbrogno for letting you.

Pitchfork.com review:

"Dean Fagerstrom's new record is an old cliche by someone who has gone to the Franz Liszt water well way too many times. The first record was far superior and showed a raw original Liszt sensibility that should have been built upon rather than continually imitated in a more watered down further polished manner. Dean went from being the punk rock Stooges version of Liszt to a Falco's greatest hits interpretation. Is that such a bad thing? Yes indeed. 1 Star. "

:) :) :)

I am too big a chicken and I get spooked too easily to listen to music that may possibly come from alien-channeled dead men (just hearing David's story about that weird carnival music that played during a phone conversation with a woman in New York creeped the bejebus out of me), and Hoffmeister's saying the tape freaked him out so bad that he had to turn it off sealed the deal.

Hrmmm what episode was that with the recounting to (as I recall) a woman who was experiencing haunting type activity in her apartment, and the caller heard eerie carnival music on the phone line...? I want to listen to that episode again but for the life of me I can't recall which show that was. Anyone recall offhand?

Thanks!

Sounds like music for the silent movies... that's about all it reminds me of. Could be just someone having fun on the piano. Channelling is something I have a very difficult time accepting.

Oh man, what a joke!

For the record, I am NOT dignifying Mr. Fagerstrom's claims with a response here. Purely for the sake of having fun participating in the forum, I'd like the make a recommendation:

Now that you've heard Fagerstrom (we think so anyway), pop over to YouTube and watch/listen to an actual professional pianist play Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2. If that doesn't knock your socks off, nothing will!

Geez, "The Spirit Realm" has really taken its toll on Liszt's creativity, eh Mr. Fagerstrom?! :rolleyes:

I don't think we should insult Liszt's legacy by comparing this recording to his sublime musical genius and playing skill.

liszt2.jpg

I just listened to this episode, and would love to hear the tape.... anybody still have a copy of the mp3 file?

I just listened to this episode, and would love to hear the tape.... anybody still have a copy of the mp3 file?
Yup...p.m. me with an email and I'll shoot it at you.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

WIth thanks to skunkape, I rec'd the file and enjoyed it. It's a bit clumsy, performance-wise, but it has a Jandek-like savant edge to it and is worth listening to... certainly if you like oddball, obscuro and otherwise art-damaged music.

I've uploaded the file to yousendit, and it is available for the next week or so for download for those thus inclined:

Download

I played it out on the ranch this weekend and watched three red-necks weep like babies. I stand behind this one...slop and all.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I stand behind this one...slop and all.

I can NOT believe this old thread was actually resurrected. I tried to make it easier this time: just push play below and see/hear a bit of what Liszt wrote--time very well spent. Then, if you really have the time to waste, and you are used to doing things like eating rotted fish guts while tearfully convincing yourself that it's actually fine cuisine, listen to the supposed tape of Fagerstrom.

Out of respect for Master Liszt's legacy, let's get this thread locked once and for all. The following clip makes the case more strongly than I ever could ...

What an interesting find! Just stumbled onto this thread from a google search and I'd just like to thank david for the time he took to provide this recording.

Back