• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What World Under Climate Change

Yup. Climate change is real. It's just the causes that are the points of contention. Love your latest posts !
thanks ufology! .. I may be banned for posting on this thread again.. but I don't care... i plan on being civil and hope people will engage in scientific dialogue.. this thread is way to one sided and needs alternative view points.

Here's another one I ran across recently:

Cruise Ship Set to Sail the Perilous Northwest Passage

Read more: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian

alaska_ship.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

That is very cool. One of the exciting things about a world under a changing climate. It is NOT all doom and gloom and should be embraced.
Yes. We need to adapt to change more than trying to control it. That isn't to say that there isn't a lot of environmental damage that couldn't be cleaned up. I'm ashamed at what our Province has let the oil companies get away with in our North.

Last edited:
Yes. We need to adapt to change more than trying to control it. That isn't to say that there isn't a lot of environmental damage that couldn't be cleaned up. I'm ashamed at what our Province has let the oil companies get away with in our North.
I absolutely agree. Interestingly enough as much as one half of the oil that enters the coastal environment comes from natural seeps of oil and natural gas. The Coal Oil Point seep field leaks between 6000 and 10,000 gallons of oil every day and has done so for thousands of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scorching March temperatures set a global record — for the third straight month this year
By Chris Mooney April 15, 2016
LINK: Scorching March temperatures set a global record — for the third straight month this year
TEXT: "[See Graphic in Link] On Friday NASA released the latest temperature data for the globe, showing that March of 2016 was the hottest March on record since reliable measurements began in 1880. The month was 1.28 degrees Celsius, or 2.3 degrees Fahrenheit, higher than the average temperature in March from 1951 through 1980, with particularly scorching temperatures in the Arctic (as has been the case throughout this year so far).

This follows on temperatures for January and February that, NASA data show, were also the warmest for their respective months in the agency’s dataset. The February departure even prompted the following Tweet from Gavin Schmidt, who directs the agency’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies: [See Graphic in Link]

If you dip back into last year, meanwhile, you find still more monthly temperature records – but you’ll also note that the temperature departures in 2016 have, so far, exceeded even those in 2015, the official warmest year on record. This extreme heat around the world, which scientists believe reflect both a now-weakening El Nino event and also the background influence of climate change, has traveled alongside striking impacts. Coral reefs are bleaching and in some cases dying, Greenland has shown major meltingearlier in the year than at any time on record, and Arctic sea ice has set several records so far this year for low winter extent. Stefan Rahmstorf, a researcher with the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, has already shown just how much change these data represent since the year 1880: [See Graphic in Link]

The analysis suggests that, if temperatures indeed persist at these high levels, then the globe might be nearing a 1.5 degree Celsius increase over pre-industrial temperatures, which is one of the thresholds that the international community has recognized as important to avoid.

And as if that’s not enough, NASA’s Schmidt just predicted, based on the first three months of this year alone, that 2016 as a whole will set another all time temperature record, outdistancing both 2014 and 2015: [See Graphic in Link]

And it’s not just NASA data: The Japan Meteorological Agency recently also found that March 2016 was the hottest March in its temperature dataset, which goes back to 1891. The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which also keeps a dataset constructed in a somewhat different way from NASA’s, has not yet reported on March’s global temperatures — its assessment is expected next week.

And then, there are the satellites – the temperature datasets relied upon most by those who tend to question climate change. These, too, have been showing quite hot temperatures lately.

According to the University of Alabama-Huntsville team, March of 2016 saw the third largest warm anomaly, or departure from average, of any month in their satellite dataset, which goes back to late 1978. The month was 0.73 degrees Celsius, or 1.31 degrees Fahrenheit, above average, the group reported, for a region of the atmosphere known as the “lower troposphere” (from the Earth’s surface up to about 6 miles into the atmosphere). That made it the warmest March on record, and the third most anomalously hot month other than February of this year and April of 1998 (which fell during another strong El Nino event).

We still haven’t sorted out all the consequences of the burst of major heat that the planet is now seeing, and with El Nino fading, it isn’t expected to continue at this high of a pitch. Still, it’s startling – bringing into focus, perhaps as never before, what a warming planet really looks like.
This story is only true if you use the recently manipulated temperature records by NASA. 1934 was hotter than 2016.
This article is alarmist and non-scientific. There is NO scorching heat wave and nothing unusual about the temps from the past few months.
As the current El Niño is dissipating, the Sun is moving into a quiet phase and the decadal cycles will start to point toward a colder than normal cycle. This is all verifiable with science and I suggest not using WaPO as your climate science source.
Please feel free to check actual data and get back to me to discuss it.

RSS is out for March. Here are the 4 warmest RSS anomalies since 1998:

Feb. 2016 0.978 C
Apr. 1998 0.857 C
Mar. 2016 0.842C
Feb. 1998 0.736 C

Valdez, Alaska Relocated Due To Glacial Melting... In 1905...which was one of NASA’s coldest years on record – the entire city of Valdez, Alaska was relocated due to melting glaciers.

Link: 1905 : Valdez, Alaska Relocated Due To Glacial Melting | Real Science

Great article about the world under climate change BEFORE humans could have had an effect on it. Please give your thoughts on this if this topic interests you.

Posted on April 29, 2016 by tonyheller

One of the favorite scams of climate alarmists is to blame an eroding sandbar in Alaska on your SUV.

The remote Alaskan village that needs to be relocated due to climate change – The Washington Post

In 1905, which was one of NASA’s coldest years on record – the entire city of Valdez, Alaska was relocated due to melting glaciers.

26 Jul 1905, Page 1 – The Topeka Daily Capital at Newspapers.com

Fig.A2.gif (664×474)

Climate alarmism is 97% dependent on extreme ignorance and stupidity.

I absolutely agree. Interestingly enough as much as one half of the oil that enters the coastal environment comes from natural seeps of oil and natural gas. The Coal Oil Point seep field leaks between 6000 and 10,000 gallons of oil every day and has done so for thousands of years.
Yes. That cannot be ignored, but it's the huge surface scars and pits and settling ponds cut out of the boreal forest that really bother me. One study I read someplace said they could reclaim it as they go for 1- 2% of the profits they make, but they refuse to do so and our lousy government keeps letting them make an ever bigger mess every day. Then there's all the same forest they're letting paper companies cut down. The trees are too small for lumber so most of it gets made into toilet paper.

For a while I have been using video mash-ups of extreme weather events by months. They were interesting but suffered from several drawbacks, which are 'corrected' by the below summaries: they give context by month and location. They can be lengthy and so are an investment of time, but are worth it, I think.

The below video
summarizes January and February 2016.

What is of note is that we are now looking at a pattern of
extreme events - with records being broken routinely. The scale of drought, lack of potable water, spread of disease, disruption to food production and starvation, is massive. We are already seeing civil wars erupting. Migration. Governments unstable. All the predictions that were made in years past are coming to pass - at a far more rapid rate than anticipated. If the Climate Scientists got any thing wrong, it was the speed with which the changes would start to happen - and that what was thought a century away, is now merely decades, even years.

There are scientists now who are calling it: we are in 'runaway' climate change - and since the issue with the Jet Stream linking north and south - 'abrupt' climate change. The feedback loops are engaged.

The Heat Is On: Climate Change Meets "Godzilla" El Nino (Part I)

TEXT: "Published on Jun 20, 2016: Fair Use: Educational. (Part I) Covering extreme weather events around the world in January and February 2016."

Last edited:
Video summarizes March 2016 -

The Heat Is On: Climate Change Meets "Godzilla" El Nino (Part II)
TEXT: "Published on Jun 21, 2016: Fair Use: Educational. (Part II) Covering extreme weather events around the world in March 2016."

Video summarizes April 2016 -

The Heat Is On: Climate Change Meets "Godzilla" El Nino (Part III)
TEXT: "Published on Jun 22, 2016: Fair Use: Educational. (Part III) Covering extreme weather events around the world in April 2016."

Video summarizes May 2016 -

The Heat Is On: Climate Change Meets "Godzilla" El Nino (Part IV)
TEXT: "Published on Jun 23, 2016: Fair Use: Educational. (Part IV) Covering extreme weather events around the world in May 2016."

Video summarizes June 2016 -

The Heat Is On: Climate Change Meets 'Godzilla' El Nino (Part V: Finale)
TEXT: "Published on Jul 3, 2016"

NOTE: I have found it extremely difficult to have this thread respected for it's stated posting purpose: treating climate change as fact, and what we can expect to experience under Climate Change. Certain individuals want to debate the science - which is a worthy debate topic (if one feels one has a grip on the science and is familiar with how scientific debate works). There are innumerable threads on this site that engage that debate - more or less successfully. This thread is not for that debate - it presumes Climate Change is occurring, and as such is an exploration of what our world will look like - in fact: is looking like - under Climate Change. (It does pre-suppose that the extensive science supporting CO2 as one of the causes will have - and is having - an impact on how our world will look under climate change).

The fact of Climate Change is now in-our-face. Hard to deny any longer. The causal links are pretty much in-our-face, too, albeit economic forces (in the US) continue to drum the beat that it has nothing to do with human-based activities (CO2). In many ways this resistance is hardly relevant any more - because the game is on: Climate Change is taking place, and we either adapt our societies/cultures to the fact, or we die. Dying is, in fact, happening - but massive changes in energy production is as well. Areas are leap-frogging over industrial-19th-century-energy production methods (CO2 creation) - going straight to alternative methods (solar is now the norm). Basically we are switching from an extracting energy economy to a harvesting energy economy. Interesting work is being done with carbon capture technologies.

All the above, however, does not solve the problems of water scarcity and food production displacement. Many are dying, and will continue to do so.

Video Below: Interesting - Beckwith is one who believes we are in an abrupt climate change - and now have a chaotic climate system. Part of this assessment has been amplified by the observed change in the Jet Stream. Unknown when this may have occurred in the past - I find this valuable for the in-process interpretation taking place. How a scientist works.

Unprecedented? Jet Stream Crosses Equator
TEXT: "Published on Jun 28, 2016: The jet stream in the Northern Hemisphere has crossed the equator and joined up with the jet stream in the Southern Hemisphere. This seems like new behaviour, and indicates that climate system mayhem is ongoing. Our climate system behaviour continues to surprise us in new and scary ways that we have never anticipated, or even seen before. Welcome to climate chaos. We must declare a global climate emergency."

Last edited:
NOTE: I have found it extremely difficult to have this thread respected for it's stated posting purpose: treating climate change as fact, and what we can expect to experience under Climate Change. Certain individuals want to debate the science - which is a worthy debate topic (if one feels one has a grip on the science and is familiar with how scientific debate works). There are innumerable threads on this site that engage that debate - more or less successfully. This thread is not for that debate - it presumes Climate Change is occurring, and as such is an exploration of what our world will look like - in fact: is looking like - under Climate Change. (It does pre-suppose that the extensive science supporting CO2 as one of the causes will have - and is having - an impact on how our world will look under climate change).
The fact of Climate Change is now in-our-face. Hard to deny any longer....
Everyone knows climate change is a fact, it has ALWAYS been "in our face" and always will.. it has been for 4.7 billion years.. it is nothing new or unusual except to you apparently. Please tell me where you progressive types plan on putting the global thermostat and what temp it will be set at.

That isn't to say that there isn't a lot of environmental damage that couldn't be cleaned up. I'm ashamed at what our Province has let the oil companies get away with in our North.

Exactly, climate change or changing climate is the distraction. The issue is best practise. We dont employ it on a vast array of issues and our world is suffering as a result

Tyger your fear mongering is laughable. Climate change is normal. Without it you would not be here. You speak of "records being broken" etc.. go back thousands and millions of years and compare to our current climate. It is far better now. Nothing "extreme" is going on that is beyond normal for earth. I suggest you focus your concerns and passion on real environmental issues that we can effectively address.

The biggest effect on the planet Earth is.... you guessed it, the Sun. What can we do about that... nada. If you want to ride out climate change I suggest somewhere warm and tropical. Perhaps Fiji or Bali.

The biggest effect on the planet Earth is.... you guessed it, the Sun. What can we do about that... nada. If you want to ride out climate change I suggest somewhere warm and tropical. Perhaps Fiji or Bali.
DaveM some people prefer to be pseudo environmentalists because it make them feel worthwhile. It is a new religion. Tyger can you tell me what it is you fear so much? Is it Global Warming, Global Cooling, Climate Change or Global Climate Disruption? Do you fear sea levels or Hurricanes? Just what is it that makes you so passionate about this hoax being perpetrated on the world?

Back