• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

September 27, 2015 — Nick Redfern with Curtis Collins

Goggs, you seem like a nice guy. Chris and Gene let you come in and play co-host from time to time so I understand why you want to dig down deep, take the position you are taking, and essentially defend Chris and his guru Ray. This is the same reason Chris just buys everything Ray sells him, loyalty can sometimes be blind. With all do respect, I think you need to go back and re-read what I wrote.

You suggest there have been many good photos and films that universities are not falling over. I totally disagree here. I have not seen anything persuasive and certainly nothing close to what Ray claims he has. As I mentioned before, academia is not interested in UFOs and refuses to devote any time to it, because thus far the evidence...the evidence, has been very mundane and in my opinion weak. The whole "trickster" nature of this phenomena has been discussed as a possible explanation as to why good photos don't exist, and why the evidence seems to be lacking, so I am on firm footing when I suggest that the evidence is very weak. UFOologists have gone to great lengths to come up with theories as to why there aren't good videos, why the phenomena seems self-concealing and so forth. Let's not forget that.

However, you missed the part where I said we need to take into consideration Ray's claims. He says he has motion picture footage of a daylight flying saucer shooting a plasma beam at him!!! Nothing, and I mean nothing of the sort exists in the cache of UFO evidence today. Moreover, he claims to have photographs of motherships and egg shape crafts with their "landing gear" visible. So again, I argue that evidence THIS compelling would open some doors and stir some curiosity. Just like the odd circumstances and appearance of the Atacama mummy led Greer to Stanford University and resulted in Stanford University doing solid analysis work, I am suggesting the sheer sensational nature of Ray's supposed evidence would create similar interest.

So again, we don't need a University to be currently studying UFO research or publishing UFO papers to be helpful here. Rather, we just need a University or credible institution that can first authenticate Ray's film and talk about the objects on that film. Was it altered, or are these objects just anomalies of the film, can we triangulate the distance and size of the objects etc....this is all dry science stuff that has nothing to do with UFOs. Same goes with the propulsion and plasma. Again, you don't need a "UFO department" to look at an odd flying object shooting lasers at a man holding a camera to be able to draw some real conclusions. Again. you simply have to go to the physics department and sit down with one of their particle or plasma professors. So again, this is all dry science stuff that is already being done daily, we just need it applied to Ray's evidence.

Outside of blind loyalty and bias, I am not sure how any reasonably intelligent person could even read this and disagree with it. What I am suggesting is standard operating procedure and head and shoulders above hiding the evidence and only showing it to a few trusted devotees who share the same thoughts on this subject as you...That is the stuff of cults not research.

The Roswell slide debacle should have shown everyone why you don't share evidence with only as small group of kool-aid drinkers while sheltering it from any unbiased 3rd party examination. Chris and company love to knock those involved in the Mexico City carnival, but fail to realize that is exactly what they are doing when it comes to Ray's work. Chris even uses the same excuses. Ultimately when pressed why Carrey and Schmidt didn't "release" the pictures to everyone, they both cried "well Adam Dew owned the photos, they are ultimately his property and he wanted to do it his way." That is the same line we hear from Chris, "oh well Ray is being Ray, it is his evidence and I can't force him to do anything." Meanwhile, both parties were all too happy to hype their evidence up on UFO podcasts and message forums, but suddenly go limp when someone suggests submitting it to a real institution for research, then the excuses flow. We now know why the Roswell group was shy of unbiased 3rd parties examining their slides, I am suggesting Ray probably has similar reason. The minute anyone with a lab and a brain can examine it, I would imagine the walls will come crashing down. Sometimes it is more fun to sit up on a pedestal with all the answers, all the evidence, and look down on everyone else. That's what is going on here. Ray, in his mind, gets to "know" while everyone else doesn't. To him, that makes him some authority and gives him insight others don't have. This is probably delusional, but no less intoxicating...

I am simply saying get the evidence in front of educated 3rd party researchers and let them have a go at it, otherwise, shut up.
I disagree, you've got a big chip on your shoulder.
In addition to lambasting Gene for his opinion of the vile news-entertainment network run by Rupert Murdoch.
It's just not very constructive.
Gordon has been a prince on this forum/the show, and trying to take the pi$$ out of him is not cool.

...Chris and his guru Ray. This is the same reason Chris just buys everything Ray sells him, loyalty can sometimes be blind. ...get the evidence in front of educated 3rd party researchers and let them have a go at it, otherwise, shut up.
When you assume you make an ass out of you and me. Ray is NOT my "guru." I detest gurus and bend over backwards to stay away from any and all of them. I do not "buy everything Ray sells me" in fact, I have many disagreements w/ him about a variety of differing viewpoints and sometimes I can really piss him off (and vice versa). Why don't you contact Ray and establish a dialog with him instead of whining and dogging me here in this thread? "Shut up"? You brought the subject up on my forum—Maybe you should follow your own advise?

Goggs, you seem like a nice guy. Chris and Gene let you come in and play co-host from time to time so I understand why you want to dig down deep, take the position you are taking, and essentially defend Chris and his guru Ray. This is the same reason Chris just buys everything Ray sells him, loyalty can sometimes be blind. With all do respect, I think you need to go back and re-read what I wrote.

I found your comments a little condescending to be honest...

all of you are too intaganled in one another to approach this honestly. That's why we need independent and unbiased examination. Goggs of course, is going to defend Chris on here, because Chris lets him on the show. He has an alliance to uphold even if he doesn't want to admit it. They are friends. Sorry if no one likes my tone. It is frustrating to point out the obvious.

In terms of shutting up, I didn't instigate the Stanford talk, I merely replied to an already existing comment about him and simply explained my perspective albeit, a tad "condensingly". Perhaps I will work on my tone. Chris, what is Ray's e-mail, I would love to correspond with him.

Cheers

all of you are too intaganled in one another to approach this honestly. That's why we need independent and unbiased examination. Goggs of course, is going to defend Chris on here, because Chris lets him on the show. He has an alliance to uphold even if he doesn't want to admit it. They are friends. Sorry if no one likes my tone. It is frustrating to point out the obvious.

In terms of shutting up, I didn't instigate the Stanford talk, I merely replied to an already existing comment about him and simply explained my perspective albeit, a tad "condensingly". Perhaps I will work on my tone. Chris, what is Ray's e-mail, I would love to correspond with him.

Cheers
Gordon has earned his place with the show I feel.
The tone of your second paragraph in the post quoted in this post was spot on:)
We should be friendly to each other.
Otherwise I shall be forced to carpetbomb the thread with Clangers gifs. (Kidding)

Again, just looking at this from a layman's perspective, It's mind boggling why RS doesn't submit something to someone. I feel it would be like me having the winning Powerball ticket but just keeping it in my dresser draw and never doing anything with it. Huh? What?? But it only takes 5 minutes of listening to RS on a podcast to realize that he's a little different. What his motivation is I have no idea. But one can only think of the Roswell Slide debacle. Here was a handful of industry insiders that swore up & down they had the real deal. So much so that they had the audacity to coax people to fly to Mexico on their own dime to witness the unveiling (and folks at home on a PPV basis). Then low and behold another group of people dismantle the entire thing shortly after. I would hope I am wrong, but if I had to bet, I would bet this is whats going to happen with RS's material. I'm not rooting against the guy or anyone here. I've been wating (hoping) this flying saucer thing is real since December, 1979. Years ago I made the assumption (for whatever reason) that we were all months away from seeing RS evidence (proll after I heard a podcast and connected some dots that really didn't exist - my fault). Now I believe that we'll never see anything.

But honestly, if anybody else claimed the following scenario, they would get mocked right? Just plain laughed at. I think this is what is being claimed by R.S. but I'll change R.S. to myself and we'll change Socorro to McMinnville;

"I went by the 'ol Trent Farm the other day just to take some pictures of the area. I didn't notice anything while I was actually taking pictures, but sometime later when I was back at home reviewing the photo's, something caught my eye; it was a disc shaped craft with some type of antenna sticking up in the middle. Looks just like the same craft Paul Trent took photo's of in 1950. " -

That would be the coincidence of all coincidences. I think if I posted that claim, I'd be torn apart and mocked. And just this little bit of information about the RS evidence would be satisfying to me; if any of this stuff ever does makes its way to the public, is his UFO going to look like (not in terms of size, shape, dimensions, but as far as being large, in focus, and ultra clear) Billy M.'s Beamship? Or is it going to be a speck of dust 3 miles up above the clouds in the atmosphere?

all of you are too intaganled in one another to approach this honestly. That's why we need independent and unbiased examination....Sorry if no one likes my tone. It is frustrating to point out the obvious.
The Stanford flare up thing is getting boring. @Ravensfee has it right. These are entrenched, go nowhere positions that are not worth arguing about. Unfortunately as new members come onto the forum this zombie like fracas continues to rise from the dead.

withoutlimits09, I agreed with most of what you say with regards to putting material up to academia the way the fossils went, as a discovery is a discovery. If there's any legitimacy there then there's always someone who will look at it somewhere to do some validation. James E. M. is not just a myth. There are also many more contemporaries in the field who could be sampled besides just Chris and those he identified. This could provide a natural groudswell of support in the field for Stanford's work as there are many creditable investigators who would be able to ratify a positive position. This strikes me as an obvious first stepping stone that should be sought out if in fact Ufology has any credibility as a body of people interested in the science of the phenomenon. All those artistic representations of the images that's up online by Ray, instead of the actual photos...well it just doesn't make sense.
hqdefault.jpg

---------------What would James E. McDonald do?----------------

But the tone and insult serves no purpose IMHO. Chris is an innovative thinker in the field and Goggs is a strong co-host who has earned his space. He has a unique position given his expertise and a very strong knowledge of the field. This show works mostly as a thoughtful archive of the history of the field as well as a decent investigation into the nature of the signal. I don't see a need for the personal commentary as it's a theatrical show that's been put on before. Maybe it needs a sticky somewhere up on the forum to avoid the distraction and so we can get back to talking about the thread's actual focus.

MIB's are most likely a myth constructed by early writers in the field that has blossomed into a meme across Ufolgy's history. They include two specific components: those mean dudes who threaten witnesses who saw too much, and those odd out of time and place characters who just look & act weird. These two incarnations, beyond those that were actual inventions of a writer's imagination or the mystic's experience, are perfectly acceptable aspects of reality. After all, people, and life in general, are strange.

Last edited:
This is a post in support of those who point out the obvious truth about Stanford's claims. Because there are so many who are deluded, I have to say who the people are that point out these obvious truths. Thank you, CreepyLight, Withoutlimits, and others along that line of reasoning.

As long as nobody gets personal whoever wants to fight it out should be free to do it.

It belongs in that other nasty thread tho'
clangers-o.gif

Whoops!

(taken from my book I recvd on Xmas, 1979)

The Men in Black always behave politely and never raise their voices or take physical action; but they are none the less menacing, having unnatural tans, awkward gaits and an apparent unfamiliarity with everyday objects.

On 11 September 1976, 58 year old Dr. Herbert Hopkins, of Maine, who had been involved in hypnosis sessions with an alleged UFO contactee, received a visitor claiming to be from the New Jersey UFO Research oganisation (there is, incidentally, no such organisation). The visitor wore a black suit, black shoes, black tie, black hat and white shirt - all immaculate and creaseless. He had no hair, no eyebrows or eyelashes. He wore lipstick, and his head moved with an unnatural stiffness. He spoke in an expressionless monotone, and displayed psychic abilities - he told Dr. Hopkins the contents of his pockets, and caused a coin first to change colour and then disappear, saying: "Neither you nor anyone else on this planet will ever see that coin again." After talking for a while about the Stephens case, he said, very slowly: "My energy is running low - must go now - goodbye." He walked out of the house to where Dr. Hopkins could see a strange blue light, too bright for a car: both visitor and light then vanished, leaving in the driveway strange marks which had however vanished the following day. Obeying his visitor's instructions, Dr. Hopkins erased his tapes and abandoned any further research in this field.

Last edited:
Gordon has earned his place with the show I feel.
The tone of your second paragraph in the post quoted in this post was spot on:)
We should be friendly to each other.
Otherwise I shall be forced to carpetbomb the thread with Clangers gifs. (Kidding)
Soup Dragon alert!!

You suggest there have been many good photos and films that universities are not falling over. I totally disagree here. I have not seen anything persuasive and certainly nothing close to what Ray claims he has. As I mentioned before, academia is not interested in UFOs and refuses to devote any time to it, because thus far the evidence...the evidence, has been very mundane and in my opinion weak. The whole "trickster" nature of this phenomena has been discussed as a possible explanation as to why good photos don't exist, and why the evidence seems to be lacking, so I am on firm footing when I suggest that the evidence is very weak. UFOologists have gone to great lengths to come up with theories as to why there aren't good videos, why the phenomena seems self-concealing and so forth. Let's not forget that.

However, you missed the part where I said we need to take into consideration Ray's claims. He says he has motion picture footage of a daylight flying saucer shooting a plasma beam at him!!! Nothing, and I mean nothing of the sort exists in the cache of UFO evidence today. Moreover, he claims to have photographs of motherships and egg shape crafts with their "landing gear" visible. So again, I argue that evidence THIS compelling would open some doors and stir some curiosity. Just like the odd circumstances and appearance of the Atacama mummy led Greer to Stanford University and resulted in Stanford University doing solid analysis work, I am suggesting the sheer sensational nature of Ray's supposed evidence would create similar interest.

So again, we don't need a University to be currently studying UFO research or publishing UFO papers to be helpful here. Rather, we just need a University or credible institution that can first authenticate Ray's film and talk about the objects on that film. Was it altered, or are these objects just anomalies of the film, can we triangulate the distance and size of the objects etc....this is all dry science stuff that has nothing to do with UFOs. Same goes with the propulsion and plasma. Again, you don't need a "UFO department" to look at an odd flying object shooting lasers at a man holding a camera to be able to draw some real conclusions. Again. you simply have to go to the physics department and sit down with one of their particle or plasma professors. So again, this is all dry science stuff that is already being done daily, we just need it applied to Ray's evidence.

Outside of blind loyalty and bias, I am not sure how any reasonably intelligent person could even read this and disagree with it. What I am suggesting is standard operating procedure and head and shoulders above hiding the evidence and only showing it to a few trusted devotees who share the same thoughts on this subject as you...That is the stuff of cults not research.

The Roswell slide debacle should have shown everyone why you don't share evidence with only as small group of kool-aid drinkers while sheltering it from any unbiased 3rd party examination. Chris and company love to knock those involved in the Mexico City carnival, but fail to realize that is exactly what they are doing when it comes to Ray's work. Chris even uses the same excuses. Ultimately when pressed why Carrey and Schmidt didn't "release" the pictures to everyone, they both cried "well Adam Dew owned the photos, they are ultimately his property and he wanted to do it his way." That is the same line we hear from Chris, "oh well Ray is being Ray, it is his evidence and I can't force him to do anything." Meanwhile, both parties were all too happy to hype their evidence up on UFO podcasts and message forums, but suddenly go limp when someone suggests submitting it to a real institution for research, then the excuses flow. We now know why the Roswell group was shy of unbiased 3rd parties examining their slides, I am suggesting Ray probably has similar reason. The minute anyone with a lab and a brain can examine it, I would imagine the walls will come crashing down. Sometimes it is more fun to sit up on a pedestal with all the answers, all the evidence, and look down on everyone else. That's what is going on here. Ray, in his mind, gets to "know" while everyone else doesn't. To him, that makes him some authority and gives him insight others don't have. This is probably delusional, but no less intoxicating...

I am simply saying get the evidence in front of educated 3rd party researchers and let them have a go at it, otherwise, shut up.

I'm confused - you say academia thus far has been unimpressed with any evidence and therefore sees no need to be actively involved in UFO research.
My answer to that is that how is 'academia' going to know what quality of evidence is even available if they are not prepared to even look at any, let alone try and record any themselves. If the general mindset of academia was made say in the 1960's for instance, and at that time it was unimpressed, then there is now 50+ years more evidence available to look at, and 5 decades have gone by in which places of learning could have been researching the subject of UFOs, time in which considerable headway might have been made had they been bothering to try.

Let us remind ourselves that while perhaps the number of decent photos or videos of possible UFOs is way short of where many of us would like it to be, there are 100's of pretty good quality photos (pre-digital) that at least appear not to be obvious conventional airborne craft, balloons, atmospheric phenomena etc and that is at least a start. Of course, add to that the countless multiple witness sightings made by people who would be listened to if they had to sit on a jury in a capital murder case. Cases exist with multiple police officers chasing the same object, in different vehicles looking from very different vantage points. Cases of sightings backed up by one or more quality radar sets. If the same people were reported to have said they saw an elephant, they would not be doubted.

I have not drank any Ray Stanford Kool-aid and believe me, I find his reticence to share incredibly frustrating, I also worry due to his age and health that he could die before releasing anything or 'finishing' his work. I do think the Stanford situation is a little more promising than others in the history of Ufology who have claimed possession of smoking gun evidence and never shown it to anyone - no, people have seen varying amounts of his evidence and his work. I do not know names but according to Chris, certain scientists have been shown some of Ray's work regarding his explanations of UFO propulsion. It is these kind of people he apparently does wish to show his work, not us, the average joe interested in the subject.
He has also claimed that his work might have serious defence implications - as in discoveries he would not want enemy states to get their hands on but obviously I have zero idea if there is any merit to any of that.

With Stanford my position is really just to be hopeful, cross my fingers his health holds and maybe, just maybe, one day we might see some of it. I really am no more or less a supporter of Stanford than that. He has stated tantalising things before and maybe he shouldn't unless he is gonna spill the beans but really he doesn't broadcast those statements publicly that much - nowhere near say, the number of times Greer has claimed to have zero-point energy machines etc and yet he has never shown as much as a single nut or bolt - ever! There are people in Ufology who go around all the time claiming this and that and never coming up with the goods and while Stanford may be guilty of that a little, it really is just a little and not often at all.

I certainly do not just agree or follow anything Gene or Chris do because they toss me scraps of airtime like an adoring puppy :p as you seem to insinuate but that is for people other than myself to decide. I do not get paid for every appearing on a show and nor am I bound to 'toe any party-line' believe it or not. It is the case however that I consider our Paracast hosts to be pretty level-headed about most of Ufology and I happen to agree with them, as do many others.

You talking about the scientific particulars of what Ray Stanford claims to have on film and what claims to have discovered from those films - yes I agree that one could basically forget any UFO connection and have a physics dept take a look at the evidence and proposed science Ray has claimed to have identified from it - all I say in relation to that is that I actually think many physicists might be a little reluctant, if they knew that it came from what is claimed to be photographic evidence of UFOs, taken by a long-term UFO researcher. It is the unavoidable UFO connotations I believe may be a major sticking point. Astronomers and atmospheric physicists are very likely to state the subject of UFOs is total bunk and they wouldn't have anything to do looking at any such photos, or proposed explanations of this and that from Ray Stanford.
Watch any UFO documentary that includes Rendlesham or whatever and you can be sure that some astronomer such as James McGahey or a modern-day Phil Klass clone will be trotted out to assure the public that everyone involved mistook the Orford Ness Lighthouse for a spaceship. That seems to me to encapsulate the attitude of science to the subject of UFOs.

I can honestly say that short of being an expert photo analyst myself, which of course I am not in any way, shape or form, it is my opinion that while far from being hundreds and hundreds, I have seen scores of highly interesting UFO photos. Maybe not photos that amazing science could be performed on, but nonetheless photos that appear to show structured craft flying in our skies that do not appear to be hoaxes, or built by humans. I reserve the right to be wrong of course.

"Astronomers and atmospheric physicists are very likely to state the subject of UFOs is total bunk and they wouldn't have anything to do looking at any such photos, or proposed explanations of this and that from Ray Stanford."

Again, if the evidence is compelling major universities will actually examine it. We saw exactly this when Greer submitted his mummy to Stanford University for research. No one there said "Oh, this is some UFO nut who makes videos, the mummy is probably bunk," instead, the odd nature of the creature peeked some curiosity, hence the examination. Therefore, this whole notion that academia and research institutions across the world "won't have anything to do" with good evidence is a statement without merit. If the evidence is credible, it will be happily examined. Especially if it could lead to energy breakthroughs or confirm the existence of "flying saucers" with "shooting plasma beams."

If Ray Stanford with no academic degrees of note, can unequivocally conclude the objects in his films and photos are "flying saucers not from earth" then I would imagine some real Ph.Ds in a lab could easily substantiate that claim.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this. However, the most logical thing to do would be to submit the evidence to a variety of unbiased and accredited institutions and get REAL confirmation. If Ray does that, he can still keep his "secret" but he could at least say ,"Stanford University looked at my films and have authenticated them and believe them to be genuine, however due to the nature of the technology, I can't say anymore." That would be a far stronger position than saying "Martin Willis and Chris O'Brian, two men with no degrees in any of these fields, saw Stanford's evidence and say it is good." That statement and those "researchers" are just not compelling, in fact it is laughable.

We saw exactly this when Greer submitted his mummy to Stanford University for research. No one there said "Oh, this is some UFO nut who makes videos, the mummy is probably bunk," instead, the odd nature of the creature peeked some curiosity, hence the examination.

Is there any reason to think that the decision to view the mummy was based on the fact that Greer is a retired medical doctor (probably with connections) and less on them doing so despite him being a Ufo nut?

Last edited:
Is there any reason to think that the decision to view the mummy was based on the fact that Greer is a retired medical doctor (probably with connections) and less on them doing so despite him being a Ufo nut?

Possibly, but I think you are grasping at straws. Also, I don't think Greer's medical career was anything someone at Stanford would be overly impressed with. He was a doctor in North Carolina, I think his doctor background is rather trumped up. If he was such an elite Doctor, I don't see him leaving to go chase flares in the sky. Regardless and again, I think the odd nature of the evidence is what ultimately led to the examination and participation in the documentary. This just underlines my point that if the evidence is exceptional, as Ray claims, then there are qualified people who would love to look at it.

Greer 'retired' at age 43 so he could go and chase ufos in the night sky. It's safe to say he found the ufo field more lucrative than the healing profession.

Back