• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

so cal paracast members almost time for jpl open house

Wade

FeralNormal master
to any paracasters living in so. cal. the annual open house at jpl is coming up next month, i've gone the past couple years in a row and even though the attractions haven't really changed all that much , but it's still pretty cool. my favorite exhibits are the near earth sciences satellites (atmosphere and wx) and the Microdevices Lab. this year i plan to ask any docents about jack parsons and his legacy, i wonder if they tend to sweep that issue under the rug like the scientologists do w/ ron hubbards previous activities b4 he founded their "religion" air quotes intended and apologize for any toes i may have stepped on JPL Invites all Earthlings to Annual Open House - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

I've read a little about the Parsons guy. Didn't he do some pretty wild occultic stuff, yet he was brilliant as a scientist? Or am I thinking of somebody else? Had to do with Crowley and that type stuff. Anyway, somebody who knows what I'm talking about (since I don't) :p feel free to correct me.

I went back and googled the name Jack Parsons and JPL. This is the first link that came up. Parsons JPL occult NASA crowley OTO

Yep. John Whiteside P. was a real renaissance man it seems. I read the book strange angel by george pendel ( much better than robert anton wilsons book imho) a few years back. In the book there is a picture of john and several of his fellow engineers chillin' in a depression or gully of some sort. There is also a gully on the jpl campus near the machine shop. A power plant is located there. You can almost picture john and friends knocking back some brewskis trying to set off their rockets although I believe i read elsewhere these tests took place nearby in Devils Gate reservoir which if nothing else, makes for a better story considering it's reputation. And Johns reputation for that matter.

btw, has any other paracasters been in devils gate? I have a couple of times now and never experienced anything remotely intimidating.

This weekend is 2015 open house
Open House

Oh Wade, I really wish I was in SoCal. I was lucky enough to spend a month in La Crescenta, at my aunts house, when I was 19/20 (I had my 20th birthday while there) and it remains probably the best trip out of the UK I've ever had. First time in America and I'm in L.A, with a car and it was September, which meant when I went places like Six Flags, the lines were tiny !! You could literally step off a roller coaster and be at the front of the line again in 5 mins. My cousins were so jealous when I got back to my aunts and told them. They of course had to go during school holidays and they spent over an hour in line just to ride The Viper once! Once? I musta rode that mutha about 11 times - in a row!

Also when over in California, we drove up to San Fransisco for a few days, via Sequoi Nat. Park and Kings Canyon Nat.Park. To this day, Sequoi National Park is my favourite spot on the whole Earth. You can literally feel you are in a real-live fairy tale, being 6" tall because of the enormous Sequoia trees.

Talk about digressing! Anyway, my point Wade, is that I would happily accompany you to JPL if I was over in L.A right now. Lucky you!

If you pm me your postal address I can pick something up for you

JPL Store

If you do you may want to give me 2 or 3 choices in case I can't find it or they are sold out.

well Gordon if you are reading this...

JPL Open House fills up fast

Photo Gallery: Jet Propulsion Laboratory Open House

This year you didn't miss much except extremely long lines and long wait times, It was as the french say "an ordeal." i knew i would be in for a long day when looking at the JPL website the recommendation was that people arrive early Sunday as they had to turn people away Saturday by early afternoon as the attendance was unprecedented. (Capacity was 20,000 or so and it's basically the size of a small community college ) The last couple of times i had gone (2009 and 2010 or thereabout)s after i got off the 210 freeway it was a 5 minute drive up Oak Grove onto the campus. This time it was an hour plus of stop and go traffic and it was soon obvious that i was not the only person to arrive early, i arrived at eight and thought i'd grab a quick breakfast but i spent the hour instead crawling along. after i got my parking space it was an 45 minute wait in line to get past security...in previous times it took a minute or two AND if you had a backpack or largish bag they would tell you to take it back to the car, you would not be able to get on the campus (They hand out free totebags) Security took forever it seemed because of all the bag checking and pat downs.

I made it a priority mainly to see the mission control center (where communications are done) and the Sterile room (assembly) as in my previous visits i didn't get a chance to see them , between my three trips i pretty much have seen the whole thing now including robotics and tooling (which actually was very interesting, an engineer like you would appreciate how they have to in many cases invent/build a tool for a particular instance. In the past wait times would be about 30-45 minutes. sunday it was 90 minutes and that was under a 90+degree sun...this was another thing that dismayed me, when i went in the past open house (early May and mid May) it was still quite cool due to the marine layer influence,this weekend it was as if summer never ended which isn't all that unusual for So Cal as September is usually our warmest month. Basically i saw only three exhibits because of all the waiting and i did leave early cause i sure as hell wasn't going to wait until the place closer and get caught in the exodus. The visitors center alone and the various films they show will eat up much of the day so most people go both days, and it draws people from Arizona and further. My favorite (which i didn't get to this time) was earth sciences and near Earth satellites and studies

Although always popular it was an underground popular, aware mainly to mostly locals and engineers and space flight enthusiasts so this "unprecedented" turnout caught a number of people by surprise and most people thought it had to do with the success of the movie" The Martian " which name dropped JPL in the movie and interestingly enough Facebook, as i heard over and over and over people mention it was the first time they heard of it and they read about it on FB. As if i needed another reason to despise FB. I can't hate on Matt Damon though i like him and he's working on a new Jason Bourne movie right now (007 move over....way over :))

My main interest is and always has been it's past though and for the first time i found someone who at least heard of the Suicide Squad. in the past whenever i asked i was met with looks of confusion on the earnest young faces of the JPL staff but this time i found a white beard and i found that my fetish was not unheard of as the fellow told me the VERY approximate location of the famous photo taken of the Suicide squad which i have posted before in a thread mentioning J. Parsons. Everyone has an ideal If i could go back in the past what event would i like to have been a close witness of, this would be mine.

1420145038603999.jpg avatar_eacd8ccdfda2_128.png

That will likely be my next trip up there, a pilgrimage of sorts to the Arroyo Seco and as i said i am not alone as the JPL guy said that people are always going into the was, lining up the photo above with the surrounding terrain and trying to find ...and recreate...the iconic photo, although its probably been graded and altered by now as it is a dry wash and will probably be getting another workout this year during the El Nino.

As far as future visits, i know if you ever find yourself destined to come to this area you can arrange a tour BUT i think it has to be made 6 months in advance but i'm pretty sure you will get to see the meat and potatoes ( visitors center, mission control, assembly, tooling etc.) and now the photos:

DSC_0138.JPG DSC_0139.JPG DSC_0141.JPG DSC_0142.JPG DSC_0144.JPG DSC_0146.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0149.JPG
    DSC_0149.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0150.JPG
    DSC_0150.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0151.JPG
    DSC_0151.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
something happened on my uploads so instead of editing it i'll just add the rest here
DSC_0152.JPG DSC_0153.JPG DSC_0154.JPG DSC_0155.JPG DSC_0156.JPG DSC_0157.JPG DSC_0158.JPG DSC_0159.JPG DSC_0160.JPG DSC_0161.JPG DSC_0162.JPG DSC_0163.JPG

Last edited:
and lastly, that beautiful dusty, rocky, sage brushy dry river river bed , where the suicide squad created what would later become Aerojet Engineering and JPLDSC_0164.JPG
DSC_0165.JPG

Back