• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Suggestion For A "Turn The Tables" Show

ChrisJohnsen

Paranormal Adept
Perhaps this has been suggested before but I don't recall it ever being done in all the shows I've listened to. I'm suggesting a show where a few forum members turn the tables on Gene and Chris and interview them and engage them in deeper discussions directly related to their own personal experiences and paranormal beliefs. How their views have evolved since hosting the show and after interviewing hundreds of guests, as well as participating in the forums with many smart people with differing, interesting views.

I know exactly who I would suggest for the inaugural forum members to "host" the show: Burnt State, Goggs Mackay and Red Pill Junkie.

After The Paracast does provide a platform for Gene and Chris to personally express themselves on a more extended basis but I would find a full show where they are the "guests" responding to the "hosts" to be an interesting one to be sure, at least for me.

Just a suggestion. Do with it what you will. Thanks.

Perhaps this has been suggested before but I don't recall it ever being done in all the shows I've listened to. I'm suggesting a show where a few forum members turn the tables on Gene and Chris and interview them and engage them in deeper discussions directly related to their own personal experiences and paranormal beliefs. How their views have evolved since hosting the show and after interviewing hundreds of guests, as well as participating in the forums with many smart people with differing, interesting views.

I know exactly who I would suggest for the inaugural forum members to "host" the show: Burnt State, Goggs Mackay and Red Pill Junkie.

After The Paracast does provide a platform for Gene and Chris to personally express themselves on a more extended basis but I would find a full show where they are the "guests" responding to the "hosts" to be an interesting one to be sure, at least for me.

Just a suggestion. Do with it what you will. Thanks.
I suggested something similar to this effect a ways back as I also think this would make for an interesting turn of events especially for those who always ask the questions. However, what I have noticed over years of listening to this show is that incrementally, and sometimes with repetition, we have in fact heard much of their life stories, their experiences, their motivations, influences, personal projects and how they got to where they are now. Sometimes we even get snatches of what they really believe, suspect or are agnostic about when it comes to the UFO phenomenon. So trying to create a concentrated show without repetition could be a challenge.

Are there some specific areas that you would like to see gone into greater depth, ChisJohnsen? Posting a lot of advance notice for a healthy question bank that could be sorted through prior to the show would be a must. Getting audio recorded questions from members of the forum would make it a lot more fun! I always thing it's these kind of approaches that The Paracast offers that makes it a much more community building space than community dividing, and sets it apart from other shows.

Just one other thing I would like to point out for repetition's sake: the show as it stands historically, has covered the history of Ufology in a fairly thorough manner, covering all the big thinkers and significant researchers who have helped drive the study of the phenomenon and it has also entertained the entire spectrum of research, for better or worse, including fringe thinkers, off the wall esoteric weirdness, emergent innovators, court jesters and those who deserved to be debunked (and were), along with host friends, peers and mentors. It's not just a mixed bag - it's an actual history of the phenomenon with a healthy dose of alternative paranormal discussion mixed right along with it.

Sometimes feelings get ruffled, insults fly and off air debate can turn into on air antagonism, rebuttal and the settings of records straight. As a long time listener I think it's important to note that if you look at the show more holistically, as opposed to focussing on only one or two aspects of the hosts' personalities, their pet peeves or favoured perspectives, you'll see it's actually quite a worthwhile space when it comes to getting informed about paranormality in general. I hope questions focussing on the two hosts would keep that in mind and that in turn they would be open to answering tough but respectable questions diplomatically and honestly. I also think that Curt Collins should be in the mix as an interviewer - he's probably the only forum member who has as big a chunk of the history and actual facts of Ufology in his head as our two hosts.

Last edited:
One other suggestion i would like to make is that the After the Paracast Jam Session should feature forum members only talking about their favourite Paracast moments along with a digestion of the host interview show. That would be slick and a great way to index some of the exceptional episodes and history of the show. This would also be an exceptional way to encourage Paracast Plus subscription btw, as if you let this version of ATP record for as long as it needs to, you would really be encouraging people to take a more serious look through the back catalogue in a more informed manner. It would also be pretty hilarious I bet - must listening.

Whereas I agree that over the years of hosting The Paracast both Gene and Chris have shared quite a bit of their personal stories, experiences (or Gene's lack thereof, with the possible exception of a water elemental) and beliefs, however, a self-contained, stand-alone, "reference" episode does not exist that encompasses those stories and beliefs. I think it would be a great resource for listeners, both new and old, to have ONE SHOW that they could visit that could act as a Gene and Chris primer. I think it would be a benefit to all listeners/members to have a show to point people towards who want to get a sense of where Gene and Chris are coming from but don't have the time to listen to all the previous episodes to get up to speed on their philosophies, experiences and approach to all things paranormal, high strange and UFO-related. As it is, it's fragmented over years of shows, some revelations here, some insights there but nothing we can sit and listen to for a couple of hours to learn, or refresh our memories, about our two knowledgeable, genial hosts.

I agree that Curt Collins would be another great participant. I think forum member Ufology and frequent guest, Micah Hanks, would be interesting as well.

As for questions, I think all forum members should start contributing via this thread and when we (the Royal "we") think there are enough to facilitate a lively and lengthy discussion worthy of the high standards of the The Paracast, a time can be scheduled for the inaugural "Turn The Tables" to be recorded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...a Gene and Chris primer. I think it would be a benefit to all listeners/members to have a show to point people towards who want to get a sense of where Gene and Chris are coming from but don't have the time to listen to all the previous episodes to get up to speed on their philosophies, experiences and approach to all things paranormal, high strange and UFO-related.
That's already a pretty good show length along with a solid question bank. It would also be a nice addition to hear some reflection on their own favorite Paracast episodes. All combined that makes for a very solid Paracast Primer, which would be a little incomplete without a nod to Biedny & all the different folks who should not be named, you know, the nameless ones, and then there's the multi guest host era. The history is big enough for a three volume set, really.

Gene, thoughts?

I'm glad you made reference to all "those who shall not be named." If I have a pet peeve, it's the repeated invocation of that infantile phrase as it applies to former hosts (Biedny), controversial guests (Michael Horn, Sean David Morton, YouTube brothers/thirdphaseofmoon, etc), Emma Woods, the BeWitness Roswell Slides event in Mexico City and more I'm probably forgetting. Can we simply have an open and honest conversation and allow it to go where it's going to go and talk about who/what needs to be talked about? Not to mention it is just very "insider baseball," which is not a positive thing when trying to be informational to listeners. How are new subscribers supposed to know who you are referencing? The hosts have lamented on numerous occasions that many of the hoaxes and many of these fraudsters seem to recycle in credibility. I agree but would argue that not naming them when they are referenced during the show means you are missing an opportunity to educate listeners who are not yet aware of the dubious nature of those sketchy individuals and fraudulent evidence.

I'm glad you made reference to all "those who shall not be named." If I have a pet peeve, it's the repeated invocation of that infantile phrase as it applies to former hosts (Biedny), controversial guests (Michael Horn, Sean David Morton, YouTube brothers/thirdphaseofmoon, etc), Emma Woods, the BeWitness Roswell Slides event in Mexico City and more I'm probably forgetting. Can we simply have an open and honest conversation and allow it to go where it's going to go and talk about who/what needs to be talked about? Not to mention it is just very "insider baseball," which is not a positive thing when trying to be informational to listeners. How are new subscribers supposed to know who you are referencing? The hosts have lamented on numerous occasions that many of the hoaxes and many of these fraudsters seem to recycle in credibility. I agree but would argue that not naming them when they are referenced during the show means you are missing an opportunity to educate listeners who are not yet aware of the dubious nature of those sketchy individuals and fraudulent evidence.

The whole '....shall not be named' thing need not be taken too literally. It's actually almost like a title, an award (albeit a negative one) or a shorthand to a few people or cases that have particularly bad reputations here.

Gene doesn't actually mean that nobody can write the words 'Michael Horn' or 'Roswell Slides,' rather it's just a way of red-flagging a topic that is considered so poisonous that collectively, the forum & show have put said cases etc to bed permanantly as far as the they are concerned and we would rather not give them the air of publicity that posting about them provides. So no-one is going to be banned or warned for publicly using these names etc, we'd just prefer they are brought up as seldom as possible because they don't even deserve to be found in a google search!

The forum doesn't want to be seen as a censor or putting itself up as the final arbiter of what is acceptable to mention or not regarding the topics we cover but at the same time we would prefer to gently steer discussion away from toxic waste subjects that have had more than enough words wasted on them. :)

The whole '....shall not be named' thing need not be taken too literally. It's actually almost like a title, an award (albeit a negative one) or a shorthand to a few people or cases that have particularly bad reputations here.

Gene doesn't actually mean that nobody can write the words 'Michael Horn' or 'Roswell Slides,' rather it's just a way of red-flagging a topic that is considered so poisonous that collectively, the forum & show have put said cases etc to bed permanantly as far as the they are concerned and we would rather not give them the air of publicity that posting about them provides. So no-one is going to be banned or warned for publicly using these names etc, we'd just prefer they are brought up as seldom as possible because they don't even deserve to be found in a google search!

The forum doesn't want to be seen as a censor or putting itself up as the final arbiter of what is acceptable to mention or not regarding the topics we cover but at the same time we would prefer to gently steer discussion away from toxic waste subjects that have had more than enough words wasted on them. :)
Hi Goggs,

I am aware of how and why the term is used on the show. I've listened to every single episode of The Paracast over the last 6 years. I realize no one will get "banned" in the forums for mentioning any of the topics or individuals. That wasn't my point. However, as I stated in my post, I think using that silly (IMO) phrase does a disservice to newer listeners who have NO idea what the hosts are talking about. That was me, at one time, until I caught up with everything. I doubt most listeners are crazy enough to listen to every back episode of The Paracast, so they will often miss out on the context of those people or topics "that shall not be named." The "publicity" excuse is also silly. If we (the collective "we" of the Paracast show and forum) want a better-informed listenership, one that gives little to no credence to the numerous hoaxes and fraudsters out there, then the occasional times where one of these past guests or overt frauds is mentioned, they should be identified by name so listeners can be made aware of who they are and investigate their dubious claims, if they so choose, to determine the veracity of those claims. So what if that causes someone to go investigate Billy Meiers' claims via Michael Horn's website (as I did), or read up more on Sean David Morton (as I did), or make an effort to get more information regarding the "Emma Woods" debacle (as I did)? To me, that's the whole point of the show, to be a launching point for expanded thinking and research about a wide range of topics relating to the paranormal. One cannot do that if controversial individuals and topics are not discussed openly on the show. Doing so allows the listener to make the choice about what to follow up on to get more familiar with what that particular person, or discussion, was about. They can't do that if they aren't "named."

If the topic, person or event is something the hosts are tired of talking about, say Ray Stanford or the BeWitness event in Mexico City for examples, then the solution is quite simple - don't bring it up. PERIOD. Ahhhh, but they do, constantly, so stop the silly games and just say it.

Finally, it has been lamented on the show that many of these fraudsters and hoaxes seem to always find new life, I would assume by new people being drawn into the paranormal arena because of a budding curiosity. Yet without a scorecard of who the "bad actors" are in this field and who the people with credibility are, it can be a long, hard, zig-zag of an education. At least that's been the kind of road I've traveled. To me, part of what makes The Paracast great is that Gene Steinberg, and his myriad hosts over the years, have made a commitment that the show be a platform for inquisitiveness with integrity. As I'm sure you'll agree, they usually won't put on just anybody with a good story (Derrel Sims, notwithstanding) and they fairly consistently apply logic and critical-thinking when questioning their guests about claims that are made. That's why the show is as good as it is. That's why you, me, Burnt, RPJ, CGL, Ufology, Constance and many others support the show and participate on the forums. It would be helpful, even in a small way, to many listeners of the show, especially ones not immersed in the forum or other paranormal podcasts, to be educated along the way about not only the good guys, like Christopher O'Brien, Micah Hanks, Curt Collins, etc. but the shady characters and dubious events as well. Both are equally important for listeners to know about, so that perhaps this complex journey of enlightenment can be made just that much simpler, especially at the outset, when trying to make sense of all the noise that's out there surrounding paranormal, high strange and UFO-related topics. But that requires naming names.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughtful response to my original post and just wanted to address your post and hopefully clarify my thoughts. Have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
CJ

Last edited:
Back