• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

July 26, 2015 — Don Ecker, Curt Collins and Goggs Mackay

Well--it's a rolling boulder. Other than that, I'm not sure that there is anything special about the pic.

It has rolled UP and out of a crater, and a sizeable one at that. There hasn't been a decent explanation to date as to what force was at play to push this large and heavy boulder anywhere, let alone up a hill?

I don't pretend to have any answers but I do know astronomers have recorded inexplicable events on the Moon for hundreds of years.

I believe this is still a puzzle, especially as the moon is not supposed to be geologically active.

Honestly, Goggs, it looks to me as if it rolled down a hill first and then up the other slope. Before any conclusions can be made, I'd like to see a contour map. As to geological activity, the moon certainly has moon quakes that can set boulders moving. In addition, there is very good observational evidence for short-lived luminous phenomena, most likely caused by outgassing ionized by solar radiation.

Is it correct that one of the most likely theories on how our moon formed is that during an interplanetary collision, a chunk of the earth (where the Pacific Ocean is) ripped out and obtained an orbit around us?

Is it correct that one of the most likely theories on how our moon formed is that during an interplanetary collision, a chunk of the earth (where the Pacific Ocean is) ripped out and obtained an orbit around us?

The Giant Impact Hypothesis (GIH) is still the leading contender when it comes to theories of the moon's formation. In the original version of this theory, the moon was formed from debris ejected after the earth collided with a Mars-sized, world, Theia. However, there is an almost zero chance that rocks from Theia and rocks from Earth had the same isotopic ratios. Apollo astronauts found the rocks from the earth and the moon had identical isotopic ratios, suggesting a more complex origin for the moon. One recent theory suggests multiple collisions and re-collisions with very large objects, but the jury is still very much out...

The Giant Impact Hypothesis (GIH) is still the leading contender when it comes to theories of the moon's formation. In the original version of this theory, the moon was formed from debris ejected after the earth collided with a Mars-sized, world, Theia. However, there is an almost zero chance that rocks from Theia and rocks from Earth had the same isotopic ratios. Apollo astronauts found the rocks from the earth and the moon had identical isotopic ratios, suggesting a more complex origin for the moon. One recent theory suggests multiple collisions and re-collisions with very large objects, but the jury is still very much out...
Right on. And thank you for the information.

Sorry Goggs! I should have read the thread to get the name right.

The image you provided is the famous Vitello boulder. There are lots of boulder tracks on the Moon and some on Earth. I always have found them interesting because they are supposedly from millions of years ago. The LRO (Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter) captured the Vitello boulder very well and shows its source. The spot is at 30.4977 deg South and 37.5319 deg West.

The below link is to the LRO image viewer (ACT) and the image at 1m resolution. (sorry for the long link, but those are the controls for the viewer)
QuickMap

You can move the viewpoint around and measure the distance it travelled from the rock outcrop as 850 m. Using the toolbar in the upper right corner, you can draw a box around it (pick about 2 km square) and get a topographic overlay image. This shows it is downhill from the outcrop to where it stopped. You can then click on the 3D visualizer and move it around in 3D. This 3D data is from the LOLA instrument of LRO which has been bouncing laser shots off the moon surface since LRO got in orbit. They do not interpolate the laser data to create a nice surface.

Sorry Goggs! I should have read the thread to get the name right.

The image you provided is the famous Vitello boulder. There are lots of boulder tracks on the Moon and some on Earth. I always have found them interesting because they are supposedly from millions of years ago. The LRO (Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter) captured the Vitello boulder very well and shows its source. The spot is at 30.4977 deg South and 37.5319 deg West.

The below link is to the LRO image viewer (ACT) and the image at 1m resolution. (sorry for the long link, but those are the controls for the viewer)
QuickMap

You can move the viewpoint around and measure the distance it travelled from the rock outcrop as 850 m. Using the toolbar in the upper right corner, you can draw a box around it (pick about 2 km square) and get a topographic overlay image. This shows it is downhill from the outcrop to where it stopped. You can then click on the 3D visualizer and move it around in 3D. This 3D data is from the LOLA instrument of LRO which has been bouncing laser shots off the moon surface since LRO got in orbit. They do not interpolate the laser data to create a nice surface.

Excellent tools. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. Using them it was easy to confirm your analysis:

VitelloBoulder-01a.jpg 3DVitelloBoulder-01a.jpg

While using the tool, you can also pan around and see several other smaller rocks that have fallen away leaving tracks of their own. Very interesting :cool: . And BTW welcome to the forum :) !

Last edited:
Thanks.

The Blair Cuspids were seen in a Lunar Orbiter II image (61H3) with a sun elevation of 11 degrees.
http://www.astrosurf.com/lunascan/blairN.jpg

It seemed to be interesting to people because the shadow it cast was so long, making people think it was very high. Since this was the only image, it was hard to estimate the height.

QuickMap

The LRO imaged it four times, one at .48 m resolution and one down to 17 degrees sun elevation.

If you use the tool in the upper right corner to select a box around the Cuspids, then left click inside the bounding box you can query>NAC Live Access. This brings up all the LRO images of the spot. Then, you must click on one of the images and click on “add layers”. The selected image will now come up. You can do that with each image in succession to look at the kind of image it is. This is nice for different sun angles. Measuring the shadow for given sun angles, you can estimate the height of the Cuspids. This is easy assuming a flat level surface, a little more tricky if the surface is sloped. The “famous” Cuspids turn out to be not too interesting boulders of “nominal” size (well, ~30 ft IS big but it DOES seem similar to its width and length). So apparently no alien spire after all.

You can see alot of these long shadow casters in LRO images, but usually with low Sun angles, this will happen.

Back