• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Rethinking Betty Hill's case based on...

Creepy Green Light

Paranormal Adept
I saw an interview the other day (pretty extensive) with Betty Hill. I had never seen it before. She makes a lot of off the wall statements. She also mentions very nonchalant that she used to joke around with the aliens quite a bit.

I'd have to go back and watch the entire thing again but she's also made statements regarding that her cat can fly (or something like that). I guess my point is I'm now doubting the entire story based on some of the things that the true believers have probably chosen to surpress and not highlight over the years. I've believed in the case since 1979. So I was kind of dumbfounded when I heard her make the statements about joking with aliens.

Last edited:
I listened to the first hypnosis session with Barny, and I posted my reaction to that at the link below. I refused to waste my time listening to the rest of the hypnosis sessions, including Barny's, because I think Betty created this nightmare. It's sad Barny died within a few years after this happened, and I bet it had something to do with all the stress created by this BS AND being a married biracial couple in 1961.

April 12, 2015 — Shop Talk 2015 with Burnt State | Page 4 | The Paracast Community Forums

Here are more posts that followed after my initial post above:

April 12, 2015 — Shop Talk 2015 with Burnt State | Page 5 | The Paracast Community Forums

I'll bet Alien Abductions were mentioned somewhere before this happened too.

Last edited:
This is an excellent post copied below about using Hypnosis:

Alien Abductions, Child Sexual Abuse & Sleep Paralysis | Page 3 | The Paracast Community Forums

A few responses to this discussion:

Hypnosis is not a reliable instrument for developing evidence of sightings and/or contact, no matter how emotionally upset and sincere the subject is, or how competent and highly trained a professional hypnotist might be, because memories may be false. See the link below:

Neurologist Oliver Sacks on Memory, Plagiarism, and the Necessary Forgettings of Creativity | Brain
Pickings

"In his recent New York Review of Books essay, legendary neurologist Oliver Sacks tackles precisely that, exposing the remarkable mechanisms by which we fabricate our memories, involuntarily blurring the line between the experienced and the assimilated:

"It is startling to realize that some of our most cherished memories may never have happened — or may have happened to someone else. I suspect that many of my enthusiasms and impulses, which seem entirely my own, have arisen from others’ suggestions, which have powerfully influenced me, consciously or unconsciously, and then been forgotten."

The same criticism applies to vivid experiences during half-waking states. Claims of presences in the room, and/or abductions must be examined against what is known about hypnagogic states, which can be nothing more than waking nightmares.

I saw an interview the other day (pretty extensive) with Betty Hill. I had never seen it before. She makes a lot of off the wall statements. She also mentions very nonchalant that she used to joke around with the aliens quite a bit.

I'd have to go back and watch the entire thing again but she's also made statements regarding that her cat can fly (or something like that). I guess my point is I'm now doubting the entire story based on some of the things that the true believers have probably chosen to surprise and not highlight over the years. I've believed in the case since 1979. So I was kind of dumbfounded when I heard her make the statements about joking with aliens.
There's an interesting phenomenon that comes along with abductees who continue to market themselves as opposed to their story. While the range of abductees are prolific and the UFO community might only hear discussions about selected, more famous figures, the high profile cases seem to follow some very select pathways: obscurity is probably the most frequent route where their story rarely changes or evolves and their initial story & fame simply fades away along with the experiencer; then there are those who descend into weird territory like Whitley and Betty who are changed irrevocably by the sustained fame that comes along with marketing their experience and so they kill the original value of their initial experience by becoming entertainers; and then there's Travis Walton.

I don't think we can use the transformed person to talk about the value of the original event or who they were at that time as these are often two very separate people. Where Betty went eventually is to that other side of the contactee spectrum where you just make stuff up as you go along, and you are trying to sell to a crowd like Greer or Howe & it's no longer about that first story told.

This is an excellent post copied below about using Hypnosis:

Alien Abductions, Child Sexual Abuse & Sleep Paralysis | Page 3 | The Paracast Community Forums

A few responses to this discussion:

Hypnosis is not a reliable instrument for developing evidence of sightings and/or contact, no matter how emotionally upset and sincere the subject is, or how competent and highly trained a professional hypnotist might be, because memories may be false. See the link below:

Neurologist Oliver Sacks on Memory, Plagiarism, and the Necessary Forgettings of Creativity | Brain
Pickings

"In his recent New York Review of Books essay, legendary neurologist Oliver Sacks tackles precisely that, exposing the remarkable mechanisms by which we fabricate our memories, involuntarily blurring the line between the experienced and the assimilated:

"It is startling to realize that some of our most cherished memories may never have happened — or may have happened to someone else. I suspect that many of my enthusiasms and impulses, which seem entirely my own, have arisen from others’ suggestions, which have powerfully influenced me, consciously or unconsciously, and then been forgotten."

The same criticism applies to vivid experiences during half-waking states. Claims of presences in the room, and/or abductions must be examined against what is known about hypnagogic states, which can be nothing more than waking nightmares.
Very good, important information one should know especially before making a decision whether they believe the Hill's, or any other abductee's story for that matter.

There's an interesting phenomenon that comes along with abductees who continue to market themselves as opposed to their story. While the range of abductees are prolific and the UFO community might only hear discussions about selected, more famous figures, the high profile cases seem to follow some very select pathways: obscurity is probably the most frequent route where their story rarely changes or evolves and their initial story & fame simply fades away along with the experiencer; then there are those who descend into weird territory like Whitley and Betty who are changed irrevocably by the sustained fame that comes along with marketing their experience and so they kill the original value of their initial experience by becoming entertainers; and then there's Travis Walton.

I don't think we can use the transformed person to talk about the value of the original event or who they were at that time as these are often two very separate people. Where Betty went eventually is to that other side of the contactee spectrum where you just make stuff up as you go along, and you are trying to sell to a crowd like Greer or Howe & it's no longer about that first story told.
Here's a few other points that I have come up with (some of these may have been mentioned by other people/UFOlogists);

The aliens through binoculars; try doing this when you are home, driving, wherever; find a plane or helicopter that is flying about and then spy it through your binoculars. See if you can see how many people are in the plane and if so, describe what they look like. Ok, now try that when it's pitch black out. You probably can't do it in the day, let alone at night.

The winglets on the UFO; this is a feature that to me, is fabricated just like all spaceships were for 50's era sci-fi movies. Artists envisioned what a spaceship or UFO would look like so they come up with features to make it look more "advanced". In 2015, the idea of winglets sticking off the side of a craft that could cruise across the universe is absurd. (BTW - another ridiculous feature of Hollywood UFO's back in 50's were the idea that they are actually rotating/spinning. Highly unlikely that an advanced spacecraft from another world can hover motionless over a fixed point but only by rotating like a merry-go-round at 100 rpm.

The star map; on Earth in 2015 we use iPads, computers, Google to get directions. I find it unlikely that aliens from another world with their advanced flying saucers have a map (and yes, I know it's not a paper map like I used to read as a kid). Also, I can't believe how much credibility they put into Marjorie Fish's project. The ENTIRE THING hinges on the fact that Betty hand drew a map from memory. That'd be like me being flown to Hong Kong in a helicopter with a blindfold on, and then as we are hovering they take the blindfold off and I get told to look at the Hong Kong skyline. Then we leave. Then when I get home I try drawing the skyline on paper freehand. But then someone else tries saying that my drawing matches EXACTLY the real dimensions, length, angles, etc. of the Hong Kong skyline. What? Really? Makes ZERO sense to me. Never has, even as a child. I'd make SOME sense if Betty was given an actual map of unknown stars/planets and then Marjorie came up with an exact match. But to base it off memory and a sketch drawn with pencil? C'mon.

Now couple all that with telling jokes with aliens, flying cats, seeing the episode of The Outer Limits with the alien with rap around eyes, etc. and I am pretty doubtful.

The aliens through binoculars; try doing this when you are home, driving, wherever; find a plane or helicopter that is flying about and then spy it through your binoculars. See if you can see how many people are in the plane and if so, describe what they look like.

If it hovered for a time that would've helped, as would some internal source of illumination.

I find it unlikely that aliens from another world with their advanced flying saucers have a map

There have been other reported "anachronisms." Maybe the map was just decorative. :)

Also, I can't believe how much credibility they put into Marjorie Fish's project.

They should try to find an exoplanet around Zeta Reticulum, although a truly Earth sized planet may still be too hard to detect..

Now couple all that with telling jokes with aliens, flying cats, seeing the episode of The Outer Limits with the alien with rap around eyes, etc. and I am pretty doubtful.

Others have noted similar mental issues. She just began to "lose it" as she aged; the trauma didn't help either. If Betty was the only witness in this case, it may have been more obscure if not dismissed.

If it hovered for a time that would've helped, as would some internal source of illumination.

There have been other reported "anachronisms." Maybe the map was just decorative. :)

They should try to find an exoplanet around Zeta Reticulum, although a truly Earth sized planet may still be too hard to detect..

Others have noted similar mental issues. She just began to "lose it" as she aged; the trauma didn't help either. If Betty was the only witness in this case, it may have been more obscure if not dismissed.
I guess one can go with the more logical explanation or one can go create an answer for everything.

Back