• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Women's World Cup 2015

Burnt State

Paranormal Adept
Watching this world cup has been thoroughly rewarding. The elevated skill level, extra teams, professionalism and fan support has made for a very dynamic tourney. The women's game brings a lot to the table compared to the men's side. You don't have the same persistent fouls or diving which makes for great game flow.

The France/Germany game was the final as far as i'm concerned. Both teams are brilliant on the pitch with some excellent but unrewarded attacking by the French. The handball calls were pretty questionable imho and if the penalty kick had not been called the more deserving win would have been France's. No offense to the German Paracasters, but while I normally cheer for Germany i've been very impressed by the French team and feel bad for Nécib and the rest of the team whose exceptionally tight passing game was very exciting to watch. They truly highlight how much the women's game has changed rapidly for the better.

This is a great article outlining the great pluses of this historic, legendary game and women's soccer in general. I really appreciate the commentary about who are the fans in attendance. No soccer hooliganism here - this sport is a family affair.

FIFA Women's World Cup: France vs. Germany a match for the ages - Planet Futbol - SI.com

USA vs Germany Kicks off in 2 mins, I think that the US will win on penalties, the match will finish 0-0.
I will let you know what Paul the Octopus say after the match!

At half it stays 0-0 but the US looks increasingly dangerous in the German box as they watch them dance around their goal area. Meanwhile, at the other end the US defence continues to make Germany look perplexed up front, with no way into the box and mistakes all over the place. I think the US could pop some in by the end. I'm cheering for Germany but my prediction is 2-1 USA.

At half it stays 0-0 but the US looks increasingly dangerous in the German box as they watch them dance around their goal area. Meanwhile, at the other end the US defence continues to make Germany look perplexed up front, with no way into the box and mistakes all over the place. I think the US could pop some in by the end. I'm cheering for Germany but my prediction is 2-1 USA.

I"m sure you hold a special place in your heart for Sydney Leroux though huh Robert?

R U Live or watching on the tube? This would have been the best possible outcome for a woman's final.

I"m sure you hold a special place in your heart for Sydney Leroux though huh Robert?

R U Live or watching on the tube? This would have been the best possible outcome for a woman's final.
Between her, Mittag and Mittag's sub I feel very under tattooed. (btw the title of the cassette is "words fail music speaks")
mittag192_v-ardgalerie.jpg

Watching live, but this game was not as exciting as Gemany/France. In fact Gemany looked deflated comparatively. But Japan and USA should make for a great match as the are both competitive with exceptional skills. Hopefully we will get a little more goal action out of the final, though the US defence is very tight. My nod is for Japan to repeat for back to back cups.

Last edited:
I have to go with US and not just because of my heart.

That aside. even if I had no allegiance I would want to see the US win because this will be Abby's last hurrah and likely Sepp"s last hurrah and Abby has been quite vocal about Sepps's disregard for the woman's game...recent events didn't improve her feelings...I'd like to see them both on the victory stand and I think Abby would be more gracious but who knows?

I am glad the USA scored the second goal because the penalty awarded to the USA was never a penalty, it was way, way outside the box.

I did say that the US would win on penalties, I just thought they would be after 120 mins LOL!

Re Sasic taking the penalty, she scored her previous two against France (Putting Germany through to the semi), so was the obvious choice. I think Solo's mind games got to her.

Obviously Paul predicted the correct score again!

It's England vs Japan tonight, and strangely for me I want England to win, I don't support the men's football team but the Women's team have the proper attitude and application, the Men's team could learn a lot from them.

I think that Japan will win though, as they are the better team. I predict 2-1 Japan.

I think that Japan will win though, as they are the better team. I predict 2-1 Japan.
Well predicted but a terrible way to lose the match. She did what any good defender should do, stretch to interrupt the ball heading into the box - Ugimi was right there ready to pop it in - shame her clearance went straight in. As a former defender my heart goes out to her. The only person who carries more weight in a game is the keeper.

I was surprised at how evenly matched these teams were. I thought Japan would've controlled the game more but they seemed to lack firepower in this game and though they if ten display gret control, this game was loaded with errors on their part.

The US/Japan rematch will hopefully see these two teams at the top of their game.

You could say that England were unlucky, but I think that the ref was awful all round, Claire Rafferty should have got a red card for that foul, even though it was outside the box, and if she had been sent off, I think Japan would have won easily.
I don't want to be too critical because England put in such a lot of effort, but 2 shots on target from 11 is not good enough, I think the reason they were so upset was because the game was there for the taking.
I think that Basset was the victim of a freak goal, I bet she could not do that again in a hundred tries, I lay a lot more blame on Rafferty because what she did was mindless, and if the ref had followed the rules she would have jepordised the entire teams chances.
If Japan play like they did yesterday in the final, the US will walk it.

Regarding Bassett, it was interesting seeing the many messages of sympathy and support for her own goal and i did hear of some people thinking this was a double standard and perhaps treating women differently then men, the point being if that had been someone from the men's team perhaps there would be more scorn.

I don't think it's all that cut and dried though, although I didn't see any of the Lioness 's games I saw some highlights and Laura seemed to do a bang up job as a defender. If somebody plays their heart out and looks like they care I'd cut a lot of slack to that person especially if they're was a bit of a scrum...Yes I know that's rugby...In front of the net, it can get chaotic there. Theres a distinction between bad timing and a stupid penalty or playing thoughtlessly.

Congrats to the Lionessesssssss for their 3rd place finish. I didn't get a chance to see it and heard it wasn't pretty but a win is a win, I have to think that the German team is somewhat shell-shocked by now, not that two losses in a row to the American and British squads is anything to be ashamed of.

Back