• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Looking for doped-up ufologists

What you say reminds me of the anecdote that Richard Alpert tells of giving almost a full milligram of LSD to a Indian guru named Neem Karoli Baba. The yogi replied that it did nothing to him, that he had already attained that level of consciousnes. After word of this came out, many people tried to say the same, but no one believed them!

Ram Dass Gives Maharaji the “Yogi Medicine” - Ram Dass

I'll have to take your word for it, Constance! ; )

Absolutely, yes, and I immediately thought of something Greg Bishop pointed-out in an episode of Radio Misterioso, where apparently there were/is a group of women, now living in California, who witnessed the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge first hand and have gone blind as a result.

Long Beach Journal - Eyes That Saw Horrors Now See Only Shadows - NYTimes.com

Cambodians' Vision Loss Linked to War Trauma - latimes
Misquoting Bishop, eh? ;) Is this emblematic of the common mutations of ufological inquiry or merely a symptom of the thread's content?

Stress and destabilization do seem to be tied to two specific features: the intensity of event that is usually tied to the witness' proximity to the event and the nature of the experience, as well as who the witness was in the first place and whether or not there are other personal histories that may have played a role, or possible recent parts of their life that are starting to deconstruct. As Duensing pointed out there appears to be these often more negative aspects to the profile of the witness that then later translates into the experience of destabilization.

In the case of the Cambodian women or the other witnesses to war and horror I referenced we see how both the context of war itself creating the setting of destabilization, its own stress, and then proximity to gross and brutal acts translate into a severing of specific senses or common abilities such as speech. The brain itself is being directly affected and disrupting the individual's capacity to "repeat" the event. It appears to be a kind of survival feature that should also be taken into consideration with certain UFO cases. You can never ever say that all cases follow this path as there are simply too many variables at play. But anecdotally there are cases that do bear out these two features and it is quite particular in abduction and contactee cases.

'I've had three sightings of ufos, all at close range, and none of them destabilized me or changed my concept of reality (which to begin with is fairly fluid, open-ended).

I was glib earlier, Constance, and I apologize. It is, indeed, difficult for me to understand how one's concept of reality would not be shaken by an event like this, but, I am reminded of an Icelandic artist that I was fortunate enough to serve as studio assistant to for many years. She spoke often and freely of the alchemical and animistic nature (she would never use those words though) of rocks/lava, water, steam and fire. A kind of magical thinking I guess. She saw UFOs all the time in New Mexico (where we all lived) and other folkloric creatures in Iceland and the Czech Republic. When I told her about my sighting she was like "yeah, sure, I know.." and then she just changed the subject! I was kind of amazed by that and I told her and she laughed and we talked about her experiences. Now, I don't mean, at all, to equate this personal anecdote with your experiences nor do I don't pretend to know about you or your experiences or thoughts on reality for that matter! I just mean, by way of an apology, that I do not discount your admission. I'd love to hear more from you on this if you have interest.

I've had three sightings of ufos, all at close range, and none of them destabilized me or changed my concept of reality (which to begin with is fairly fluid, open-ended).
I don't think I've ever heard you mention the details of these before. Are these documented on the experiences section of the forum?

I was glib earlier, Constance, and I apologize. It is, indeed, difficult for me to understand how one's concept of reality would not be shaken by an event like this, but, I am reminded of an Icelandic artist that I was fortunate enough to serve as studio assistant to for many years. She spoke often and freely of the alchemical and animistic nature (she would never use those words though) of rocks/lava, water, steam and fire. A kind of magical thinking I guess. She saw UFOs all the time in New Mexico (where we all lived) and other folkloric creatures in Iceland and the Czech Republic. When I told her about my sighting she was like "yeah, sure, I know.." and then she just changed the subject! I was kind of amazed by that and I told her and she laughed and we talked about her experiences. Now, I don't mean, at all, to equate this personal anecdote with your experiences nor do I don't pretend to know about you or your experiences or thoughts on reality for that matter! I just mean, by way of an apology, that I do not discount your admission. I'd love to hear more from you on this if you have interest.

I don't see why you feel a need to apologize, Zebra. I saw nothing offensive or hostile in your posts. :)

Re not being overwhelmed by my three 'ufo' sightings, by the time they occurred I was a grown woman and a mother and had some awareness of the ufo topic (but no reading or research concerning it). I had also passed through several decreasingly static conceptions of 'reality' derived from my reading in philosophy, especially phenomenological philosophy and the existentialism that grew out of it. If you're familiar with those schools of thought you'll understand better, perhaps, my lack of fixed presuppositions about the nature of reality, especially given what we've learned in our lifetimes about the size and complexity of the universe, the persistence of life, and the obvious likelihood that other species exist elsewhere who are undoubtedly far older and more evolved than we are. Our species still has little idea of what is possible.

I don't think I've ever heard you mention the details of these before. Are these documented on the experiences section of the forum?

I think I might have mentioned each of those sightings/experiences in different conversations here but haven't posted them to the 'experiences' section. I'll summarize them briefly here. The first sighting occurred during a nighttime flight from Atlanta to Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the winter of 1990. My 3 1/2-year-old daughter was seated to my right over the wing of a Delta plane and I was reading a story to her in the middle seat. Just north of Chicago she interrupted me and pointed out the window to a huge, brilliant light just off the wingtip (which appeared to be encased within or at least behind an extremely think glass, squarish but rounded at the edges). It appeared to hang motionless in the air as we passed it. There was sufficient time between the moment she saw it and the time it took for me to look out the window so that I had a sense of the plane passing it in the night. The weather was cold and the sky was clear and cloudless. The light was so large that its circumference nearly filled the cabin window. It was magnificent, awesome. I did not immediately think 'ufo'. I thought 'lighthouse light' since we were traveling just off-shore over Lake Michigan, and there are two small port cities along that shoreline between Chicago and Milwaukee. Obviously my first thought (lighthouse) was unthinking since the plane was at normal flying speed and altitude. I did ask friends who picked us up at the airport if they'd ever seen a lighthouse offshore as they flew that path into Milwaukee and of course no one had.

How dumb a bunny am I, you might well ask. Recall that when I'd had a stunning OBE at the age of 21 I didn't pursue research into what it was or why it happened or what it meant. It wasn't until my daughter was in Middle School that I discussed this sighting over Lake Michigan with the father of one of her friends who happened to have worked at the Johnson Space Center and had had a number of ufo sightings. While he talked about them I mentioned Annie's and my sighting in 1990 and he said "Oh, then you saw one."

Years after that I observed an abnormally bright light high in the trees on a street intersecting the one I was driving on in evening traffic. I turned down that street, parked on the side of the road opposite the trees, opened my window and observed the light. There was no sound; it was early evening in January and thus nearly dark outside. As I watched the object encasing the light it turned a half-revolution and what I saw looked like an iron grate with vertical slits in it out of which hot orange light like that of magnesium flares poured outward. Then the object moved out over the street I was parked on, became triangular in shape showing what looked like hundreds of tiny points of light on its bottom, and very very slowly moved away toward and then over the thickly forested trees on a hill just beyond the next intersection of the street I was parked on. I didn't follow it because I could not have kept up with it in the evening traffic and through the canopies of trees and curving lanes up on the hill. I went to pay a bill and then returned along the same route I'd taken but one street over, across which the triangle had moved (so slowly that I could not understand how it remained airborne). One block before I reached the clear-cut intersection over which the triangle had moved I came upon a traffic accident: a sports car that had preceded me on that street had crashed into the concrete post of a street lamp. A police car was already on the scene, blocking the way, so I turned to the right and got out of the way. Since the street on which this occurred was clear-cut through trees on both sides, allowing a view of the intersection over which the triangle had passed ~15 minutes earlier, it occurred to me that the driver of the sports car had perhaps seen the triangle as well and lost control of his car. I tried to find out about the circumstances of the accident from the police department the next day but the officer at the scene was not available. I asked for a call back, but received none.

The third sighting was not of a light or object in the sky but of a bright white plasma shaped roughly like a comet (large and rounded at the head, tapering off to a tail) that rushed along just next to the car I was driving on a winter night along a country road in south Georgia. The plasma moved swiftly along next to the car, coming from some position behind the car, its near edge about two feet from the car door, surging and twisting energetically as it headed down the road in the direction I was traveling. It was well-defined in shape, intensely luminous, and about the size of a Volkswagen beetle (but longer). It was suddenly there on my left (beyond it was an open field lying fallow) and it swept forward and somewhat upward as it passed the car and tore out of sight down the road. It was a wonder to see it, very exhilirating. I have no idea what it was. My daughter, then about 17, was in the passenger seat scrutinizing the houses on the rise to our right in order to locate her friend Carrie’s parents’ house. I called this phenomenon to her attention but by the time she looked forward through the windshield it was out of sight. I asked Carrie if she’d ever seen anything like this plasma in the area but she hadn’t.

So indeed the entanglement with a singular event can be representative of what can only be seen as one of the more significant, even life altering events, experienced by a person in the course of their life. The UFO appears as some kind of major bump in their road that may cause people to jump tracks, fall off the rails so to speak, and now they are in some kind of parllel directionless labyrinth, especially in the days and weeks following a major event. Now is this what you mean when you say our imagination is sometimes a construct of the phenomenon?

Or are you referring to that actual moment of witness contact where we are being acted upon, entangled with or perhaps engaged by the phenomenon. Would you/could you ascribe any degrees of passivity to this moment on behalf of either agent during such chance encounters (though they seem to be quite purposeful in their planning to encounter witnesses)? Or would you say that during the moment of witness we are being accessed in some way we can not quite name, like in Zebra or the Logos' personal discussion of his own entheogenic experience of UFO contact that resulted in a permanent stain on his visual field of a 50's B-movie classic ship?

I think all of the above may be part of this process.

One can always start from the assumption that the UFO is a psychic projection (not to be confused with a fantasy or hallucination) created and animated by some deep and mysterious process within the human psyche. Or--one can postulate the UFO descending upon "us" as advanced beings or technology who proceed to play our brains like a violin. This might be some variant of the ET or Alternate Universe hypothesis. Neither theory, I think, can be proved or disproved, and I would be leery of anyone claiming tidy answers.

The hierarchical view: That of super beings toying with or utilizing humanity for unknown purposes abides best with traditional and anthropocentric thinking. But it falls short when seeking sufficient reason or motivation for the magnitude and personal nature of the phenomenon. The phenomenon is also seemingly in complete control of time and space, not only during but possibly retroactively after encounters. It feels like something very non-linear is going on here.

This is waay out there, but might help to explain the UFO's ability or refusal to yield to traditional means of analysis.

The "UFO as emergent consciousness" way of viewing things is equally non-testable (at least so far) but comports somewhat better with the way in which close encounters are unavoidably personal and have a way of being an integral part of the experiencer's life. Even if very little is rationally explained. This could include, but not limit us to, the theory of psychic projection.

Since one of the few things we (think) we can say with confidence about the UFO is that it involves both elements of the physical world and the inner realm of pure thought, might it be operating at an interface of mind and matter in ways we only dimly comprehend?

The limb I'm climbing out on is getting thinner and thinner. Maybe best to stop here to reflect.

What you say reminds me of the anecdote that Richard Alpert tells of giving almost a full milligram of LSD to a Indian guru named Neem Karoli Baba. The yogi replied that it did nothing to him, that he had already attained that level of consciousnes. After word of this came out, many people tried to say the same, but no one believed them!

Ram Dass Gives Maharaji the “Yogi Medicine” - Ram Dass

I'll have to take your word for it, Constance! ; )

My Step father spent time in India with Neem Karoli Baba (and Ram Dass is a family friend). Maharaji apparently was a bit like acid himself, inducing altered states of consciousness by his presence alone.

My stepdad told me of taking acid himself one day and being in a room with Maharaji. He was there with a group of people, mainly westerners, and after a while Maharaji asked everyone to leave. As the crowd left the room, my stepdad (tripping), decided to "turn invisible" so that he wouldn't have to leave. Sure enough, after everyone else left Maharaji seemed not to notice him and we was allowed to stay. They sat together for several hours in silence, which my stepdad recalls as indescribably profound. At a certain point, the acid started to wear off and he realized he couldn't keep up the 'invisibility'. Sure enough, at that point Maharaji suddenly noticed him and threw him out of the room. He was sitting right in front of him the whole time.

The dude from my work that had the experiences also had a few bad trips where these little alien looking creatures told him to follow him. He followed intil a friend of his jumped on him and pushed him. He was standing on a train line. He said it felt like a true experience. Who knows

I think I might have mentioned each of those sightings/experiences in different conversations here but haven't posted them to the 'experiences' section. I'll summarize them briefly here. The first sighting occurred during a nighttime flight from Atlanta to Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the winter of 1990. My 3 1/2-year-old daughter was seated to my right over the wing of a Delta plane and I was reading a story to her in the middle seat. Just north of Chicago she interrupted me and pointed out the window to a huge, brilliant light just off the wingtip (which appeared to be encased within or at least behind an extremely think glass, squarish but rounded at the edges). It appeared to hang motionless in the air as we passed it. There was sufficient time between the moment she saw it and the time it took for me to look out the window so that I had a sense of the plane passing it in the night. The weather was cold and the sky was clear and cloudless. The light was so large that its circumference nearly filled the cabin window. It was magnificent, awesome. I did not immediately think 'ufo'. I thought 'lighthouse light' since we were traveling just off-shore over Lake Michigan, and there are two small port cities along that shoreline between Chicago and Milwaukee. Obviously my first thought (lighthouse) was unthinking since the plane was at normal flying speed and altitude. I did ask friends who picked us up at the airport if they'd ever seen a lighthouse offshore as they flew that path into Milwaukee and of course no one had.

How dumb a bunny am I, you might well ask. Recall that when I'd had a stunning OBE at the age of 21 I didn't pursue research into what it was or why it happened or what it meant. It wasn't until my daughter was in Middle School that I discussed this sighting over Lake Michigan with the father of one of her friends who happened to have worked at the Johnson Space Center and had had a number of ufo sightings. While he talked about them I mentioned Annie's and my sighting in 1990 and he said "Oh, then you saw one."

Years after that I observed an abnormally bright light high in the trees on a street intersecting the one I was driving on in evening traffic. I turned down that street, parked on the side of the road opposite the trees, opened my window and observed the light. There was no sound; it was early evening in January and thus nearly dark outside. As I watched the object encasing the light it turned a half-revolution and what I saw looked like an iron grate with vertical slits in it out of which hot orange light like that of magnesium flares poured outward. Then the object moved out over the street I was parked on, became triangular in shape showing what looked like hundreds of tiny points of light on its bottom, and very very slowly moved away toward and then over the thickly forested trees on a hill just beyond the next intersection of the street I was parked on. I didn't follow it because I could not have kept up with it in the evening traffic and through the canopies of trees and curving lanes up on the hill. I went to pay a bill and then returned along the same route I'd taken but one street over, across which the triangle had moved (so slowly that I could not understand how it remained airborne). One block before I reached the clear-cut intersection over which the triangle had moved I came upon a traffic accident: a sports car that had preceded me on that street had crashed into the concrete post of a street lamp. A police car was already on the scene, blocking the way, so I turned to the right and got out of the way. Since the street on which this occurred was clear-cut through trees on both sides, allowing a view of the intersection over which the triangle had passed ~15 minutes earlier, it occurred to me that the driver of the sports car had perhaps seen the triangle as well and lost control of his car. I tried to find out about the circumstances of the accident from the police department the next day but the officer at the scene was not available. I asked for a call back, but received none.

The third sighting was not of a light or object in the sky but of a bright white plasma shaped roughly like a comet (large and rounded at the head, tapering off to a tail) that rushed along just next to the car I was driving on a winter night along a country road in south Georgia. The plasma moved swiftly along next to the car, coming from some position behind the car, its near edge about two feet from the car door, surging and twisting energetically as it headed down the road in the direction I was traveling. It was well-defined in shape, intensely luminous, and about the size of a Volkswagen beetle (but longer). It was suddenly there on my left (beyond it was an open field lying fallow) and it swept forward and somewhat upward as it passed the car and tore out of sight down the road. It was a wonder to see it, very exhilirating. I have no idea what it was. My daughter, then about 17, was in the passenger seat scrutinizing the houses on the rise to our right in order to locate her friend Carrie’s parents’ house. I called this phenomenon to her attention but by the time she looked forward through the windshield it was out of sight. I asked Carrie if she’d ever seen anything like this plasma in the area but she hadn’t.
Thanks, Constance, for sharing all of those with us. It's great to have a reminder of a context for the voice behind the handle that is interested in paranormality and UFO studies. I can see how these three sightings as a collection would have a significant impact on a singular witness. I do remember the middle sighting after having read this version - the accident part stuck in my mind. I remember a scene from my youth where there was a sudden explosion of light low in the sky over some houses in the neighbourhood. At the time I thought it was something extraordinary that had touched down but it turned out it was a car accident - someone had blown a transformer after crashing into a utility pole. That second sighting of yours sounds absolutely stunning and is evocative because of the combination with the accident.

Each of your sightings though are quite exhilarating in terms of visual qualities and circumstance. I can see how each of them would have been quite startling. If I read this correctly these three sightings took place in a 14 year period with no previous or following sightings. So if you're interested in answering the following great and if not no problem.

I'm very interested in the impacts on the witness and who the witness was prior to their experiences. Outside of the OBE did you ever have any specific engagement with paranormal issues or UFO's? Was there a point during or after that 14 year period, that you could define as the demarcation period of seriously pursuing UFO investigation through reading the literature etc., or did that come in waves across your life and then intensify later on? These experiences appear to still be with you in a very strong & vivid way - if you had to name their current value to yourself, just how significant are they and why? Do you see any of those unique experiences, including the OBE, connected in any way? Did the UFO experiences all exhibit what could be described as operating under intelligent control?

Each of your sightings though are quite exhilarating in terms of visual qualities and circumstance. I can see how each of them would have been quite startling. If I read this correctly these three sightings took place in a 14 year period with no previous or following sightings. So if you're interested in answering the following great and if not no problem. I'm very interested in the impacts on the witness and who the witness was prior to their experiences. Outside of the OBE did you ever have any specific engagement with paranormal issues or UFO's?

I'm happy to respond to your questions, Burnt

Outside of the OBE did you ever have any specific engagement with paranormal issues or UFO's?

Not to my knowledge, but who knows what transcient experiences, senses of reality, and subconscious insights have occurred with any of us earlier in life, especially as children?

Was there a point during or after that 14 year period, that you could define as the demarcation period of seriously pursuing UFO investigation through reading the literature etc., or did that come in waves across your life and then intensify later on?

I can date the beginning of my reading ufo research to the summer of 1997, and my reading was intensive from then on. The trigger was reading the USA Today coverage of the Phoenix Lights events (in June of '97 as I recall) that had occurred the previous February. The article and the two-pages of photographs and sketches got my attention not just because of the size of the observed ufo(s) seen within a short time over several hundred miles of Arizona, but because I realized that if the large triangle/boomerang described were real and not ours, I would eventually need to prepare my daughter for a world potentially very different from the one I'd thought she'd be growing up in. This was six and a half years after our sighting from the Delta plane over Lake Michigan; she was then ten years old.

These experiences appear to still be with you in a very strong & vivid way - if you had to name their current value to yourself, just how significant are they and why?

Like the OBE, the three anomalous sightings I described are unforgettable and remain vivid in my memory. But so does what I experienced in a car accident about five months previous to my spontaneous OBE -- the apparent slowing down of time as the car I was in skidded on ice and headed off the road directly toward the tree we impacted. During those few seconds my attention was apparently riveted on our progress toward the tree; I seemed to be aware of every moment/instant that progressed as we moved toward the crash, until it happened. I was also thinking, very calmly and dispassionately, throughout this duration that 'we are going to crash into that tree'. I felt no panic or fear, and I wondered why in the weeks following. I was in the front passenger seat; the car was an old one without seatbelts; I was thrown forward in the impact and my forehead cracked the windshield. I found myself on the floor of the car after the impact and realized that the hot liquid streaming down over my face was blood. I thought I might die fairly soon so I asked the other two people in the back seat (whose voices I could hear) if they would tell my parents that I loved them. Eventually (the driver having left the car to find a phone to call for an ambulance) there were several EMTs opening the car door and shining flashlights in. They took me to a hospital, where I had surgery and remained for about a week.

{There is an interesting connection between that surgery and a mistaken identity in a dream I'd the night before the OBE five months later, which suggests that the OBE was triggered by my realizing for some reason {at midday that day, while reading a novel by Robert Penn Warren for my next class} that I had masked the identity of the person I was talking with in the dream. A few months later I learned that the actual person I'd been talking with in the dream had been present at that surgery (he was a med student who worked at the hospital) and that he had fainted in the operating room because of the copious blood flowing from my head wound). I've thought about rereading that novel in order to figure out what I read in it that day that unmasked the person in my dream, which was my last thought before I suddenly found my consciousness up in the far corner of the room observing myself from behind. I think it's possible that I was subconsciously aware of his fainting in the operating room when it happened and that this (or the reactions of the other medics present) had frightened me, keeping my recollection of it hidden until for some reason the dream and his actual identity connected for me as I sat reading the Warren novel. If so, it bears out the intricate and often submerged lived experience retained and still connected in the mind at nonconscious levels.

The other thing I've reflected on is the similarity between my own dispassionate consciousnsess as I thought 'we are going to crash into that tree' and the dispassionate consciousness I experienced during the minutes of the OBE -- and also the dispassionate other consciousness I encountered/heard speaking as my OBE perspective moved along the ceiling to a point where I could better observe my physical body sitting across the room still apparently bent over the novel in my hands on the desk. This other consciousness I felt to be female and older than me and she seemed to be attached to me but not always present. My impression from what I overheard from her was that she'd been signalled or summoned to pay attention to what was going on with me and her attitude was that 'I was in a mess but it was no big deal'. Then she vanished and my consciousness suddenly relocated to its customary residence in my body. At that point I was shocked by what I'd just experienced and sought advice at the University Counselor's office. I described what had happened to the head counselor; he called a neurologist near campus and asked him to see me aright away. The neurologist could find no neurological explanation for the OBE and wrote me a prescription for tranquilizers, which I took for awhile.

If I'd read phenomenological philosophy at that time, or if I had an interest in brain studies, or if interdisciplinary Consciousness Studies existed as a field of inquiry then, I'd have had the good sense to investigate what I'd experienced. But I quickly reentered the stream of my accustomed life, sense of life, and put the experience aside. Nevertheless I remember it, and have often remembered it, vividly in the years since, especially since I began pursuing the field of Consciousness Studies. I think we 'know' immensely more about the nature of reality than we are consciously aware of, and that psychical research and parapsychology are among the main paths to our understanding more of what we know in our subconscious minds.

Do you see any of those unique experiences, including the OBE, connected in any way?

Yes. I think they all are opportunities for thinking about, and understanding more about, the nature of reality from perspectives outside our 'normal', culturally defined presuppositions concerning what-is in the physical world as a whole and what we already know about it in our subconscious minds.

Did the UFO experiences all exhibit what could be described as operating under intelligent control?

Yes. I sensed that the encased light off the Delta wingtip was observing the plane and operating under its own purposeful control. In the second sighting, of the shape-shifting ufo, the object [first visible as a light, then as an object up in the treetops] definitely seemed to be going about its own business. When it moved out over the street and assumed the shape of a triangle, it seemed instantly somewhat smaller and at once more distant than it could have been given my perspective from the street, as if it were moving in a dimension or time separate from the one I existed in and yet was showing itself to me, moving so slowly that I could study its appearance. The plasma that swept past my car on the country road in Georgia seemed to possess intention and will, seemed to be indifferent to the car or anyone in it as it pursued some goal somewhere farther down the road. It seemed to be vigorously alive.

Last edited:
@Constance , Just quickly in response I find a couple more interesting parallels: my own life or death car accident, as narrated elsewhere on Misterioso, which was also a time slowing experience for a portion of it, and also dispassionate for the part where I was not hallucinating in my mind, but watching the car accident unfold. That we also share an early twenties age era OBE is interesting though mine was much more shocking and filled with screams. I've noted other parallels elsewhere, name of daughter for example, but it all fits (for me) slightly into an ongoing theory of mine that our human relationships have their own repeating rhythms, where we cycle around certain people or types of people, whose repeated actions and parallels often evoke feelings of a synchronistic nature. Life is very patterned it seems to me, either that or there are these entanglements that can not be escaped from.

Thanks so much for the extra depth of detail. It's all much more vivid. I do have a last question, as these 'high' moments in life never depart, do they? i see them as a kind of imprinting, a construction of this series of lasting impressions made more memorable by the brain & body chemistry of the intense event. This is not always a pleasant thing as not all memories are wanted, but when I asked if they were connected, I was thinking outside their general instructional capacity. Sometimes, when life's patterns are more inexplicably intense there can be that elevated feeling, ego or what have you, that makes one feel like they've been selected. Seeing one strange sky object is something rare, but three times over makes me wonder how, if in any way at all, the succession of those experiences has created any other lasting personal effects or considerations?

As a final question set if you don't mind: would you, a lover of fine poetry and other mental gymnastics, consider yourself to be very involved with or concerned about any of these: art & design, time based media like film or video or work with other processes that re time based in nature such as ordering rvents in time - editing?, do you see yourself as a rapid synthesizer of new and old information, and would you see yourself as someone who either enjoys or frequently experiences synesthesia?

p.s. I forgot to mention how very much taken I was by the phrase, "It seemed to be vigorously alive." That's a classic statement describing something impossible and yet there. Do you think it was a living being then, this streaking object of light that appeared to move with intention?

@Constance , Just quickly in response I find a couple more interesting parallels: my own life or death car accident, as narrated elsewhere on Misterioso, which was also a time slowing experience for a portion of it, and also dispassionate for the part where I was not hallucinating in my mind, but watching the car accident unfold. That we also share an early twenties age era OBE is interesting though mine was much more shocking and filled with screams. I've noted other parallels elsewhere, name of daughter for example, but it all fits (for me) slightly into an ongoing theory of mine that our human relationships have their own repeating rhythms, where we cycle around certain people or types of people, whose repeated actions and parallels often evoke feelings of a synchronistic nature. Life is very patterned it seems to me, either that or there are these entanglements that can not be escaped from.

The parallels you mention are interesting. I have a gut feeling that synchronicities occur, but no idea what causes them.

Thanks so much for the extra depth of detail. It's all much more vivid. I do have a last question, as these 'high' moments in life never depart, do they? i see them as a kind of imprinting, a construction of this series of lasting impressions made more memorable by the brain & body chemistry of the intense event. This is not always a pleasant thing as not all memories are wanted, but when I asked if they were connected, I was thinking outside their general instructional capacity. Sometimes, when life's patterns are more inexplicably intense there can be that elevated feeling, ego or what have you, that makes one feel like they've been selected.

I've never felt 'selected' to have these experiences, even the OBE. In general I doubt the idea that our species in general has been selected for purposes of influencing our conscious development by another species or an interdimensional entity/entities. I think the universe is filled with life, and that all living organisms must evolve to develop consciousness, and the most interesting thing for me would be to learn what other intelligent species have done with their consciousnesses and minds, what kinds of social worlds they have built, what values they hold, and whether some of them have risked and lost their own deliberative power in their worlds of origin by replacing themselves with artificial 'intelligence' or perhaps come to degradation through the use of nuclear weapons or ecological exhaustion. If other species are interested in our planet I think it's likely to be because we've squandered so much of the natural vitality of this planet and placed the future of life here at risk in our time. One or more of these species obviously object. It could also be that biological resources here still provide opportunities for them to regenerate their own species (or ours).

Seeing one strange sky object is something rare, but three times over makes me wonder how, if in any way at all, the succession of those experiences has created any other lasting personal effects or considerations?

Only a belief accumulated gradually that other species of intelligent life exist in our vicinity and have sought to make their existence known, but slowly. The ufo sightings and the encounter with the plasma felt like gifts that I just happened to be in the right place and time to receive. I'm not so sure about the reason for the OBE, whether it was intended by someone or something to open my eyes to the limitations of my ideas about reality -- which doesn't seem to have been the case given the response of the other consciousness I overheard as she apparently rushed to the scene near the end of the OBE -- or else just happened because of a momentary tear in the fabric of mental tissues that separate my conscious awareness from my subconsciousness which perhaps precipitated my temporary ejection from my body.

As a final question set if you don't mind: would you, a lover of fine poetry and other mental gymnastics, consider yourself to be very involved with or concerned about any of these: art & design, time based media like film or video or work with other processes that re time based in nature such as ordering rvents in time - editing?, do you see yourself as a rapid synthesizer of new and old information, and would you see yourself as someone who either enjoys or frequently experiences synesthesia?

I've never experienced synesthesia, am not artistic, and have no psychic abilities. I have received unmistakeable mental and physical contacts, however, from the 'other side' of embodied life, from the surviving consciousnesses of people I have loved, most powerfully over the last seven years from my daughter. The other major influence on my sense of reality has come from phenomenological philosophy {especially that of Merleau-Ponty} and the phenomenological poetry of Wallace Stevens. I'm rather addicted to consciousness studies because this new interdisciplinary field is making progress in understanding what we are and the extent of the unfinished world we live in.

{Wow, I feel like my quite ordinary mind has been picked to its limits over the last 24 hours. But it's not a bad feeling. I'm glad you asked.} :)

p.s. I forgot to mention how very much taken I was by the phrase, "It seemed to be vigorously alive." That's a classic statement describing something impossible and yet there. Do you think it was a living being then, this streaking object of light that appeared to move with intention?

Another question - and another one I'm happy to answer. I've read that plasma physicists have speculated about the possibility that plasmas might in some sense be alive. If I'm not mistaken I've also read that some of the light phenomena seen at Hessdalen are judged to be plasmas and have also given some researchers the impression that they express intention or volition. In another forum at which @Christopher O'Brien and I both posted quite a few years ago there were discussions by some people of their experiences of plasmas (maybe around Crestone?) that came toward them and followed them. Unfortunately I have no links at hand to support either of the first two statements I made about scientists sensing something lifelike in plasmas. I feel like searching for some information about that..

Another question - and another one I'm happy to answer. I've read that plasma physicists have speculated about the possibility that plasmas might in some sense be alive. If I'm not mistaken I've also read that some of the light phenomena seen at Hessdalen are judged to be plasmas and have also given some researchers the impression that they express intention or volition. In another forum at which @Christopher O'Brien and I both posted quite a few years ago there were discussions by some people of their experiences of plasmas (maybe around Crestone?) that came toward them and followed them. Unfortunately I have no links at hand to support either of the first two statements I made about scientists sensing something lifelike in plasmas. I feel like searching for some information about that..
Have you had a chance to see "The Portal" video about Hessdalen? There are some stunning moments of light objects in there. I can't say I was ever convinced that any appeared to be intelligent, so much as following paths of design laid out by physics and chemistry. But the other phenomena surrounding their observations was definitely quite odd & prolific - probably my favourite investigation into anomalous information ever. It's the one documentary I distribute the most for those interested in anomalies.

O'Brien has made mention on the Paracast about a specific sighting his brother had where there was specific interaction with him and the light source - for me these need more depth and detail of investigation. They often have the feeling of being responsive to us, may or may not have an intelligence, may or may not be sentient - it's puzzling. I'm also very interested in how such phenomenon may have very profound impacts on the witness at the moment. I have imbued foreign light objects with characteristics that were very inappropriate when I thought about it after the fact, but in the moment my brain chemistry told me otherwise - emotion is a very powerful driver I feel in witness events.

In the preceding post you mention the concept of the "unfinished world" which I enjoy immensely. We all "complete" reality in our own way, assembling the inputs and making decisions about them according to our own history, social location, emotional and mental state etc. but the one thing that the UFO/UAP does for me is a reminder of just how incomplete the world is because our own perceptions and the decisions that follow are so very human. We have limits to our biology and other capacities. The UFO/UAP, like the entheogenic experience, stretches these limits incredibly and opens us up to other possibilities of what to do about time, memory, experience, emotion, ego, thought, coincidence etc. Once experienced, as with Zebra's B-movie saucer that was stuck in his field of vision, these can never be forgotten. It's a kind of intellectual haunting that drives many a seeker to continue to seek, or so it goes for me.

Last edited:
Back