• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Attention PC Users: Time to Get Over It!

I own both Apple and Windows devices. Each have their uses. What I object to is the Apple mentality. If Apple decided to take dog turds and stamp them with a half eaten apple, I guarantee you there would be a line outside the Apple stores waiting to buy one.

That's exaggerated. Apple has produced junk from time to time, or at least stuff that didn't meet its promise, such as the Power Mac G4 Cube. When it didn't sell for a number of reasons I won't get into here, they discontinued it. This meme about mindless dolts being Apple stuff just isn't so.

I beg to differ Gene. I only wish I could perform the turd experiment. I would wager cash someone would be wanting to buy one.

Okay, since I knew my reply would ruffle your feathers. The I Turd2. I remember it caused quite a stink.

I own an Apple IPad mini and a Galaxy tablet (throw in a Mac and a Windows pc as well.) I perform tasks on each of these devices. I just found your point about working on an Apple device only, to be moot. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I need a reliable system with very little downtime or frustration. That is why I use a Mac. I am still using a G5 with a PowerPC cpu.

Yes, I know Macs can even be frustrating at times.

But when I want to get real work done, I use a Mac.

Man fires 8 gunshots into his Dell PC after Blue Screens of Death push him over edge | PCWorld

Let's be honest: the man who shoots his computer (in a residential area) is an idiot, I honestly think that if he owned a mac and it broke he would have done the same thing.
I know how upsetting it can be when you lose data, but if you have not backed up it is your fault.
From what I have read it sounds like he had a hard disk failure and he could have bough a replacement hd for $10.00 (a lot cheaper than a court case!)

I am a pc user but I have no problem admitting that macs are far more reliable and in certain circumstances superiour to pcs, however because of the low cost of replacement parts (especially second hand) and accessories I have no qualms about doing DIY repairs and upgrades, by contrast if I owned a mac I find it too risky because of their high value.

In short it's horses for courses, and in this case I think its appropriate to say "hate the player not the game" :)

Accessories, such as printers and external drives are mostly Mac/PC neutral.

As to repairs: Apple doesn't right high on reparability except for the professional model, the Mac Pro. On the iMacs I've owned in recent years, RAM upgrades are 5-minute affairs, if that. The rest is a chore.

apple-death-star1.jpg

I don't condone violence. But I can see how Windows 8 might be enough to push an otherwise mild mannered person over the edge. :eek:

When I worked in industrial electronics, techs would occasionally save back a unit officially judged as hopeless so that we might all in turn vent our frustrations on the gods of electro-dysfunction with a large hammer. It's quite therapeutic once you realize that certain pieces of equipment are demon possessed and out to make your workday a living hell.

Last edited:
Part of it. But consider, also, the value proposition and what real competing products, with the same specs and similar bundled software include.

Yes, I know Macs can even be frustrating at times.

But when I want to get real work done, I use a Mac.

Man fires 8 gunshots into his Dell PC after Blue Screens of Death push him over edge | PCWorld

Interesting because the studio Mac we run where I work has crashed about twice in the past two months and the PC has not crashed in all that time once and it has the heaver work load :p but then again it is not a Dell .. hehehehehe.

To be fair it is I-Pads I use extensively and they are solid as a rock for what I need them for (remote control Digital sound desk).
My personal Mac Laptop I use for work only and it is solid as hell, PC I use for all not creative work..... that make sense?

I wish I could argue but you are right, lets just say for my present needs my antiquated PC is sufficient.
I can't wait for the day I can get a laptop and get away from the desk, maybe sit outside or on the bed and relax! But for now it's a very loud turbo fan desktop and and even older desk.:rolleyes:

Interesting because the studio Mac we run where I work has crashed about twice in the past two months and the PC has not crashed in all that time once and it has the heaver work load :p but then again it is not a Dell .. hehehehehe.

To be fair it is I-Pads I use extensively and they are solid as a rock for what I need them for (remote control Digital sound desk).
My personal Mac Laptop I use for work only and it is solid as hell, PC I use for all not creative work..... that make sense?

Any computer can rash, and that your Mac has crashed twice in two months doesn't explain very much. The circumstances are important, and it may be caused by a third-party app and not the OS, or a peripheral or hard drive issue.

Back