• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Favorite Quotes

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
"There was madness in every direction at every hour. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right...and that we were winning" - Hunter S. Thompson

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
– Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“This is the first age that's ever paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

"The spiral in a snail's shell is the same mathematically as the spiral in the Milky Way galaxy, and it's also the same mathematically as the spirals in our DNA. It's the same ratio that you'll find in very basic music that transcends cultures all over the world."
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt

“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” ― Galileo Galilei

“If you're not in the mood, you can't do that stuff right.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

For the romantics among us - after all, it is the season......

Wesley Crusher: [to Riker] What should I say? How do I act? What do I do?

Commander William T. Riker: Guinan, I need your help. Could you step over here a minute?

Guinan: Sounds simple enough.

Commander William T. Riker: [to Wesley] Now, first words out of your mouth are the most important. You may want to start with something like this.

[to Guinan]

Commander William T. Riker: You are the most beautiful woman in the galaxy...

[to Wesley]

Commander William T. Riker: But that might not work.

Guinan: Yes! Yes, it would.

Commander William T. Riker: [to Guinan] You don't know how long I've wanted to tell you that.

Guinan: But you were afraid.

Commander William T. Riker: Yes.

Guinan: Of me?

Commander William T. Riker: Of us. Of what we might become...

[Wesley tries to interrupt]

Commander William T. Riker: ... or that you might think that was a line.

Guinan: Maybe I do think it's a line.

Commander William T. Riker: Then you think I'm not sincere.

Guinan: I didn't say that. There's nothing wrong with a line. It's like a knock at the door.

Commander William T. Riker: Then you're inviting me in.

Guinan: I'm not sending you away.

Commander William T. Riker: That's more than I expected.

Guinan: Is it as much as you hoped?

Commander William T. Riker: To hope is to recognize the possibility; I had only dreams.

Guinan: Dreams can be dangerous.

Commander William T. Riker: Not these dreams. I dream of a galaxy where your eyes are the stars and the universe worships the night.

Guinan: Careful. Putting me on a pedestal so high, you may not be able to reach me.

Commander William T. Riker: Then I'll learn how to fly. You are the heart in my day and the soul in my night.

Wesley Crusher: [interrupting] I don't think this is my style.

Guinan: Shut up, kid!

[to Riker, saucily]

Guinan: Tell me more about my eyes

Last edited:
“latibule”
— (noun, 1623-1691) A lost word, latibule is defined as a hiding place, a place where one finds solace. This hiding place serves to give you warmth and comfort. No soul can find you here, unless you reveal your hidden treasure. This hiding place is not limited to a physical room; it could be your blog, your poetry, your mind, or somewhere far more secretive. Be wary of those you confide to about your latibule, only disclose such parts of your heart to those worthy.

God’s Grandeur
by Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89)
Poems. 1918.

THE WORLD is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod; 5
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things; 10
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs—
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

EDIT: Same....

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.
And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs—
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Last edited:
Back