• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

How About Your 100 Favorite Films?

What's the point in ratteling them all off, ..well, Bladerunner, Alien, Aliens, 2001, (I actually liked Prometheus), anything with Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford in it is basically a go..don't get me started on the Lord of the Rings..movie-wise that'd be ;)

What's the point in ratteling them all off, ..well, Bladerunner, Alien, Aliens, 2001, (I actually liked Prometheus), anything with Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford in it is basically a go..don't get me started on the Lord of the Rings..movie-wise that'd be ;)

Well, since no one apparently is in the mood to share their wondrous life's love of obsessions and such in the thread I started this morning, I'll start with a few of my personal favorites with respect to the GREAT medium that is film. Sorry ahead of time for going a little out of bounds.

In no particular order and in no way could I actually narrow down my 10 favorites, but here's a taste: MR. Belvedere Goes To College, The Ninth Configuration, Slaughterhouse Five, The Illustrated Man, Metropolis, The City of Lost Children, Naked Lunch, The Limits of Control, Sleeper, Shock Corridor, Seconds, V For Vendetta, Stand By Me, The 7 Faces of DR. Lao, The Culpepper Cattle Company, Aguirre, The Wrath of God, Zeram, Blue Velvet, Apocalypse Now, Dick The Devil dared Me To, Lair of The White Worm, The Devils, ...I could go on forever...almost.

Then there are my favorite documentaries which also could in no way be limited to a favorite 10, maybe a 100, but not 10.

The Dancing Outlaw, Vernon Florida, The Treasures of Long Gone John, Robert Williams: MR. Bitchin' , Cameraman's Revenge & Other Fantastic Tales, The Brothers Quay Collection, The Nomi Song, New York Doll, From Straight To Bizarre, Grizzly Man, Burden of Dreams, Crumb, Sunshine Superman, Tom Dowd and The Language of Music

I'm a huge Saul Bass fan and love Phase IV - easily one of my favourite sci-fi movies, a great concept, haunting soundtrack and genius set designa & macrohotography. Have you seen the original ending? Would love a Blu-ray of this and a collection of Bass' shorter film works. He's such an excellent visual designer.

In a screening of the complete restored movies with Bass' original ending someone grabbed a screen cam of it so it's a little shaky.
Thanks for bringing this film to my attention! I have always admired Bass' visual work and I didn't know he directed a film himself.

My top five movies would be of recent vintage.
The Godfather, Clockwork Orange, 'V', Apocalypse Now (the first half of the movie would have been my number one choice until the fat Marlon Brando shows up and the film falls apart for me), and for comedy, The Big Lebowski. There are certainly many other movies to choose from but these five have always spoke to me.

Off the top of my head in no particular order.

The Third Man
Close Encounters
Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
The Wall
Brazil
Clockwork Orange
Das Boot (Full German version)
Blade Runner
The Good The Bad And The Ugly
Star Wars
Dune
..... and god I don't know .. far to many to name really but that lot off the top of my head.

I gave it some thought and the amount of movies that I even consider good, let alone great, is very small.

Train Spotting
Pulp Fiction
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Matrix (only the first one)
Bad Taste
Breaindead
Akira (though that's an Anime, so not sure it qualifies)
Forrest Gump

Robocop, Conan (the Barbarian), Idiocracy, The Green Berets, Attack on the Iron coast, In which we serve, the cruel sea, To hell and back, the Terminator, Phase iv, They live, Alien, Aliens, the Civil war (ken burns), Letters form Iwo Jima, Flags of our fathers, the outlaw josey wales, One eyed jacks, Winchester 73.
Are some of my favourites.

The Outlaw Josie Wales! Now *that's* an unforgettable movie in my estimation. Actually contains one of my favorite quotes ever.

I gave it some thought and the amount of movies that I even consider good, let alone great, is very small.

Train Spotting
Pulp Fiction
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Matrix (only the first one)
Bad Taste
Breaindead
Akira (though that's an Anime, so not sure it qualifies)
Forrest Gump

Yeah, Jackson's early work is beyond insane...just amazing.

Want to see something truly beyond amazing? Check out this 20 minute short by a little known genius, Frank Grow.

Scenes From A Marriage - the television series (was also edited down to a feature length film) - Saraband (2005) is the sequel with Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson reprising their original characters.

Scenes from a Marriage (TV Mini-Series 1973) - IMDb

I went through this three times - with subtitles, no subtitles just listening to the sound of the original dialogue (Swedish) and once with no sound - I'm watching it now for the fourth time.

Some other favorites, at random:

Red Beard, Yojimbo and Sanjuro (Kurosawa)
Nosferatu (1977) Herzogginski (sic ... and sicker)
The Killing (Kubrick)
Monsieur Verdoux (Chaplain)
Twinkle, Twinkle Killer Kane (Blatty)
Playtime (Tati)
M (Fritz Lang)
Freaks and London After Midnight (Browning)
The Magic Mountain (Jodorowsky)
The Big Sleep (Hawks)
Wings of Desire (Wenders)
Coffee and Cigarettes (Jarmusch)
Stalker (Tarvosky)
Magnificent Ambersons and The Royal Tennenbaums (Welles and Anderson)
La Strada (Fellini)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki )
The Wrestler (Aronofsky)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok just figured out a name for another film favorite list:

Best righteous fights in cinema history:

The paradigm is Stacy Keach vs a biker gang in The Ninth Configuration ... I recommend watching this movie in full, don't just Youtube the fight scene ... it's more powerful in context ... and it's a good film, unique.

Other examples:

Spencer Tracy vs Ernest Borgnine (half hoss, half alligator) in Bad Day at Black Rock

Stanislaus Zybyszko vs Mike Mazurki in Night and the City

John Wayne vs Victor McLaglen in The Quiet Man

Chazz Palminteri (with a little help) vs another bike gang in A Bronx Tale

Steve McQueen vs a couple punks in Soldier in the Rain - Jackie Gleason plays the role of Deus Ex Machina with surprising ability

Rock Hudson vs Mickey Simpson (Sarge) in Giant

I'm a huge Saul Bass fan and love Phase IV - easily one of my favourite sci-fi movies, a great concept, haunting soundtrack and genius set designa & macrohotography. Have you seen the original ending? Would love a Blu-ray of this and a collection of Bass' shorter film works. He's such an excellent visual designer.

In a screening of the complete restored movies with Bass' original ending someone grabbed a screen cam of it so it's a little shaky.

I've got to order a copy ... it's in Netflix "save" section with "unknown" availability date - which means it will never be available from them.

Martian Drive-in Podcast most recent episode features Phase IV

The Martian Drive-In Podcast

I've got to order a copy ... it's in Netflix "save" section with "unknown" availability date - which means it will never be available from them.

Martian Drive-in Podcast most recent episode features Phase IV

The Martian Drive-In Podcast
eBay and Amazon have it usually - would love to get access to more Saul Bass short films!
Occasionally eBay 16mm flicks come up which I drool over...thanks for the podcast hook up!

Back