• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

French Mystery Drone Activity Over Nuclear Power Plants

I saw this story too and I do think that in this case, drone is drone. At least the story I read mentioned small commercially available drones. I initially thought the story was going in the direction of possible terrorist recon-type deals but by the tone of the piece, it seems the French authorities were not too worried.

Personally, the fact that so many nuclear power stations were overflown, in restricted airspace, I would see as a major cause of concern. Considering the recent attacks in Ottawa, Western countries do need to be on alert. Most commentators would consider IS (Islamic State) to be worse than Al-Qeida, so you would have to imagine that IS is looking to pull of a terrorist-spectacular along the lines of 9/11 or the UK 7/7.

You're probably right Goggs on it being just a drone but I'm still tempted at the end of a long week to use this news story as a hook to hang a few abstract and random thoughts on:

1) Commercially available drones tend to be quite small, if one was flying over a nuclear power station's cooling towers would you be able to identify it? Would a person on the ground be able to say that something is small, flying near a 55 metre high cooling tower rather than something larger further away?

2) When people in the 20th century saw strange things in the sky they shouted "UFO", now would we think "drone"?

3) If as suggested these were drones, my gut reaction would be they're Russian. This article hints at an operational capability that other groups, e.g. terrorists, couldn't aspire to:

Mystery drones breach airspace above French nuclear sites - Telegraph

Also as a major provider of energy to Europe it would be in Russia's interest to have information on existing capabilities or just to spook Europe as they seem to be doing with recent air incursions:

BBC News - Russian air force planes test Nato defences

4) To this naïve neophyte's eyes, the great grand days of ufology occurred during the Cold War and often focusing around strategic assets. As our relations with Russia deteriorate and either side ramps up its defences and aerial activity could we see an increase in traditional UFO sightings?

As I say, just a few thoughts I wanted to put out there. Interested in what other might think.

I'm French living in France and I am following the news about that.
I dont believe it's drones, I believe the word "drone" is used by EDF as an euphemism for "unidentified flying object" in order to minimize the events for the French population.
I agree with ravensfee.
As always it's hard to make any conclusions but I have hard time to believe that if it's drones we cannot intercept or disable the radio waves controlling these "drones" or follow the drones back to landing locations.
+ some of the "drones" observed were 78inch+ which is BIG for "simple drones".
If you know about UFOs (I don't but I have read the full COMETA report) you know that there are tons of UFO sightings close to nuclear facilities in history (which is exactly what is happening here with, for example, sightings close to the main CEA facility and not only close to power plants).

So, I guess that for a UFOlogist these "observations"/"drones" are not unusual.

I will keep an eye on this forum from now.
I'm interested to know what you think and if you find more information.
I'll also keep you posted if I find / think about anything new.

thanks!!

cheers!!

I'm French living in France and I am following the news about that.
I dont believe it's drones, I believe the word "drone" is used by EDF as an euphemism for "unidentified flying object" in order to minimize the events for the French population.
I agree with ravensfee.
As always it's hard to make any conclusions but I have hard time to believe that if it's drones we cannot intercept or disable the radio waves controlling these "drones" or follow the drones back to landing locations.
+ some of the "drones" observed were 78inch+ which is BIG for "simple drones".
If you know about UFOs (I don't but I have read the full COMETA report) you know that there are tons of UFO sightings close to nuclear facilities in history (which is exactly what is happening here with, for example, sightings close to the main CEA facility and not only close to power plants).

So, I guess that for a UFOlogist these "observations"/"drones" are not unusual.

I will keep an eye on this forum from now.
I'm interested to know what you think and if you find more information.
I'll also keep you posted if I find / think about anything new.

thanks!!
cheers!!

Thank you, jean5, for sharing your impressions with us. I too doubt that the directors of nuclear power plants would mistake a drone for a ufo. The sketch provided in the OP's link, from another recent sighting over a French plant, makes the point, and as Ravensfee observes, a typical drone would hardly be visible "flying near a 55 metre high cooling tower." You're right about the frequency of ufo sightings over nuclear power plants and other nuclear installations since the early 50s. There are good sites on the web concerning this history, especially Robert Hastings's site (and his book UFOs and Nukes). I'm glad you will be continuing to post here on this subject and why not others? Welcome.

You would think that there would be more concern shown, a power station has to be at its most vulnerable from the air.

This report from November last year says that army helicopters have been deployed and suggests the authorities are taken these sightings very seriously:

Three arrests fail to staunch mystery of drones flying over French nuclear plants | Environment | The Guardian

Also I imagine after the attacks in Paris all strategic French infrastructure will be deploying an extra level of security. Interesting to see if it has an effect on these reports.

Here's another article in relation to the French October drone sightings:

Arrests made over drone possession near French nuclear power plant | Environment | The Guardian

And another: Three arrests fail to staunch mystery of drones flying over French nuclear plants | Environment | The Guardian

What's interesting is the sabotage connection with the Beligiom and French plants, and how drones were spotted once they came back online, but they do sound more earthly than anything else. Regardless, it is a troubling development.

Back