• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Why is it called the paracast?

furfal

Paranormal Novice
I was thinking this after listening to the latest episode - why is it called the paracast? The majority of the episodes are on flying saucers in this era of the show. Maybe I'm alone in this, but when I think of "paranormal" many topics come to mind other than UFO's.

I realize there's lots of crazies out there, but it seems as though anyone who doesn't abide by the nuts and bolts flying saucer theories you guys ascribe to winds up being criticized in some fashion. The only exception appears to be JC Johnson (to say he has some tall tales would be putting it mildly). How come he's the only one who gets a free pass?

I have enjoyed a number of the episodes I've heard, but the disdain of those with different opinions in either direction (too woo woo or too conservative from your perspective) can be a bit off-putting at times.

And I know you're probably tired of hearing it, but the ads are pretty brutal. If you're not even profiting from them then why gum up the works so severely? Are you getting any benefit from it at all? I know the world runs on advertising, and a regular radio show has plenty of ads too, but I don't think I've listened to a podcast that has as many ads as this one.

The long and short of it is that this IS a regular radio show that is heard on regular radio stations, which is why we have the same number of ads.

Please read this FAQ, which is prominently listed on this forum's home page, for the specifics:

The Official Paracast FAQ

Maybe you should embellish that thread with a yellow highlighter so it will pop. We tend to notice things more when they pop.

Actually, if you've paid attention, you would have picked up that neither host much supports the eth at all, much less the nuts n bolts thingy. If you're looking for a Halloween paracast scare, dig through the old threads in the Talk about the Show forum. That's how I find some shows dedicated to mysteries outside the ufo subject.
On the subject of ads -is it even worth commenting on? Is what it is, fast forward.

I will withhold a final opinion, but the post in question may be one of those "hit and run" jobs, where someone pops in, doesn't check anything out, puts up a message and vanishes. We'll see if there's a response. Let's see if this furfal returns.

While we are on the subject, here is my 2 cents:

You guys tend to push the eth theory way too much and you give way too much credence to alternative theories besides the eth.

If this is a terrestrial radio show then having a name that's half of "podcast" doesn't really fit. And to reiterate - why include half of "paranormal" into the topic when your focus is primarily on nuts and bolts UFO's and topics that relate to it.

As I was saying, the name "paracast" just doesn't fit what you do at all. I'm not saying that you're bad. In fact I appreciate the good audio quality and I have enjoyed a number of your shows when I'm on a computer so I can skip the Alex Jones, "find out what they don't want you to know", and "telepathic love affair from another universe" commercials.

The few episodes I've heard that actually do lean towards the paranormal seem to feature a pair of critical and combative hosts who selectively turn a blind eye (see the JC Johnson example I mentioned).

I'm not saying that you should be gullible George Noory clones, eating up the words of someone claiming that they time traveled to Mars with Barrack Obama, but maybe broaden your horizons from flying saucer era topics or pick a more apropos name.

And kudos for actually replying as the show host, I didn't expect that.

It IS a terrestrial radio show. As to the name, it was suggested to us by Brad Steiger back in 2006, when it debuted. We aren't changing that after over eight years, having established the name and garnered a reputation. You are free to decide what you think about the content.

As to guest choices, we have a few who tell lots of stores "around the campfire." They are the kinds of stories you can believe or not. But we do select people who treat the subject seriously and take at least some care in picking stories that seem to have a factual basis.

If this is a terrestrial radio show then having a name that's half of "podcast" doesn't really fit. And to reiterate - why include half of "paranormal" into the topic when your focus is primarily on nuts and bolts UFO's and topics that relate to it.

You are aware, I hope, that the term podcast is derived from (and rhymes with) broadcast, which has been synonymous with radio show for the past 100 years or so.

While "flying saucers" and related subjects are frequently the main topic on the show, there are a great many other paranormal things discussed, as anyone who has listened for any length of time will know.

As I said, it was hit and run! Thanks.

How is it a hit and run? If writing it off as such helps you feel better, then label away. I replied to you and I'm flattered that you mentioned me on your recent podcast. I just asked a few questions - do you want feedback or sycophants?

The question about ads was already answered in a prominent FAQ. And many times elsewhere in the forum.

The question about the name is eight and a half years late. Besides its fair to say that UFOs may be regarded as a paranormal phenomenon.

We welcome constructive criticism.

Rest is up to you to consider.

I was thinking this after listening to the latest episode - why is it called the paracast? The majority of the episodes are on flying saucers in this era of the show. Maybe I'm alone in this, but when I think of "paranormal" many topics come to mind other than UFO's.

You're not alone, the question has been asked from time to time. UFOs are the main subject, no doubt, but a) they are definitely part of the paranormal, and b) other subjects are addressed. Topics like the "Skinwalker Ranch" defy any classification. And there have been very interesting guests from other fields, like Lloyd Auerbach, Russell Targ, Barry Taff etc. I enjoy these surprise episodes all the more because they are not the "usual suspects".

Last edited:
Back