• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Black-Eyed Kids

Anubis

First Minister of Uncommon Sense
Hey,

I was just wondering what you all thought of Brian Bethel's account of his run-in with the so-called "black-eyed kids". I have always found this story fascinating (albeit somewhat creepy), and was curious what the forum members thought and if they have had any similar experiences.

Here is a link to Brian's original account of his experience:
http://www.ghosts.org/stories/tales/evil-kids.html

Thoughts?

I don't know what I make of it... I do not necessarilly "believe" nor "disbelieve" in very much at all... I would not be surprised too much if something like this were happening... the Universe is a strange place.

I was listening to the Kevin Smith Show episode covering this a couple of months ago, and my 7 year old son caught a bit and stopped what he was doing to hear more... for about 2 solid weeks he was worried to death about the Black Eyed Kids! He wouldn't go through the kitchen without someone turning the light on for him, and was asking his teacher about them! My wife was PISSED about it, but I kept telling her that it's healthy to get a little spooked when you're a kid... there's a lot of spooky shit in The Universe... might as well start gettin used to it.

I don't know what to make of the BEK story either, but I thought it was creepy enough to share on the forum. :)

I have posted some of the weird things I have encountered, and I have to agree there is far more to this reality than can ever be explained by one school of thought.

KISS ME !!!
jadeha1.jpg

sorry... couldn't resist :eek:
carry on...

I read the black eyed people ( not just kids), could be found in walmart and there were actual encounters, something I actually wouldn't doubt, yet to encounter one yet...

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence, well really testimonials, of people encountering these BEK.
Do we just discount this as urban legend for lack of evidence?
Could kids be pranking gullible adults with fake cosplay contact lenses?

If you take the stories at face value, the kids instill a panic-like fear, they demand entrance into someones house or a ride in a vehicle, start getting nasty and insistent when denied, then vanish when people are not looking. There are several stories on the net.

I want to investigate, but what is there to investigate? There's no evidence, just accounts of events.
How would one go about investigating this I wonder?

Considering the reported apparent ages of some of thiese little beggars the only thing I would dismiss is that they are kids fooling around with contact lenses. Granted some teens and preteens could be doing so but I'd sooner believe the more youthful ones are the offspring of old scratch himself than kids with rich overdoting parents buying contact lenses for them or allowing them to get them for themselves.

The thing i don't really go for is people who point out without any consideration that it'sobviously an urban legend simply based on the fact they can trace tthe story's origin by Brian Bethel on the Internet, yes I know that BB was/is a columnist, and that is cause for suspicion but as i mentioned elsewhere is there some kind of time stamp at which we rightfully determine if something "is" "could be" or "isn't"? I i think not.

As for myself i put BEKS on the same level of probability as extraterrestrials and think they should be given equal measure to whatever belief system one has about other non humans whatever their origins derive from.

Last edited:
High strangeness indeed. I feel there is something to the story. Demons, inter dimensional beings, aliens, *fill-in-the-blank*..........whatever it is, I think there is something to it.

BTW, I don't go for the pranking either. Being unreasonably terrified and disappearing quickly makes me discount this.

As for myself i put BEKS on the same level of probability as extraterrestrials and think they should be given equal measure to whatever belief system one has about other non humans whatever their origins derive from.
A good way to separate these two types of humanoids is their relative history and timespan in paranormal circles. Would BEK's have any traction without the Internet? Like Slenderman they appear to have meme quality at best and will more than likely give way to the next construction. Unlike BEK's the greys, reptoids and insectoid races seem to have much more staying power as aliens have been well logged in the psyche of the masses for many decades now. I don't see that narrative ending for a while, at least not until the ghost in the machine finally announces itself and people start complaining about digital demons haunting their devices and homes. I'm sure it will all get blamed on hackers at first until people swear the disembodied electronic voices in their houses and pixelated ghost like forms start emerging from their 3D/HD TV sets.

A good way to separate these two types of humanoids is their relative history and timespan in paranormal circles. Would BEK's have any traction without the Internet? Like Slenderman they appear to have meme quality at best and will more than likely give way to the next construction. Unlike BEK's the greys, reptoids and insectoid races seem to have much more staying power as aliens have been well logged in the psyche of the masses for many decades now. I don't see that narrative ending for a while, at least not until the ghost in the machine finally announces itself and people start complaining about digital demons haunting their devices and homes. I'm sure it will all get blamed on hackers at first until people swear the disembodied electronic voices in their houses and pixelated ghost like forms start emerging from their 3D/HD TV sets.

That's actually a good thought, the idea of the BEKs being a meme of sorts, I didn't even think of that which is surprising because memes are a topic of interest to me. The thing is I still think of a cultural meme being something on the order of this fellow Ever Dream This Man? a site which has degraded as far as its submissions and set up the past few years. If the BEKs are a meme then they've struggled to get any traction as the first report came nearly 20 years ago but yeah they have been relegated to the backwaters of Paranormal topics.

My main point was...which I didn't articulate at all...was that somewhere (maybe MU but not in this forum) I had read a response from a poster who debunked the whole issue of BEKS and his main argument was that they probably didn't exist because you would hear a lot more about them if they were real and they were new which he found suspicious.

My personal BS meter begins to beep & buzz whenever I hear about BEK's. I believe this is due in part to Whitley Streiber's involvement in promoting his own BEK experience. But....., we often speak of the trickster on this forum and I wonder if this isn't intentional manipulation on the part of a trickster-like force. To what end I'm unsure. I know in my own life I have had life-changing experiences that I feel most would call paranormal in nature and many unfamiliar with this field would call BS. That is only my opinion.

I didn't know Whitley reported an encounter with these guys, but then I never really paid a lot of attention to him. I usually fall asleep during his appearances on c2c and i got about 1/3 of the way through communion and dropped it.

While I can understand your skepticism about BEKs I would hesitate to hold that position because of any input from Whitley, simply because I don't think there isn't anything he hasn't been involved with. This past weekend I had come across a torrent with about a dozen David Paulides interviews from various programs and podcasts, several of which were from WS's Dreamland. In about a two hour block over several episodes on six occastions Whitley interrupted/Interjected David 's narrative with sound bites about his own experiences he didn't go into detail thank goodness but I got the impression it was more about self-absorbed self-promotion than about adding anything to the discussion.

Last edited:
Back