• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Harry Potter-style Invisibility Cloak Perfected

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[... and of course the U.S. Military is a little more than mildly interested in this amazing tech. — chris]

Article & Slide Show HERE:

The United States military is reportedly backing a Canadian company's development of a material that can render soldiers invisible, according to news reports.

Maple Ridge, B.C.-based Hyperstealth Biotechnology has developed "Quantum Stealth," a type of camouflage that bends light around the wearer or an object to create the illusion of invisibility.
President and CEO Guy Cramer likened the new technology to Harry Potter's invisibility cloak during a recent CNN appearance, and described its ability to easily and effectively hide a soldier in different environments.

"Unless you walked right into them, you wouldn't know that they were there," he said. The material doesn't require batteries, projectors or cameras. It is also inexpensive and lightweight, according to Hyperstealth's website.

For security reasons, the company will not provide public demonstrations, only mockup photos. But Cramer said groups within the U.S. military and Canadian military have seen the technology and can back up his claims, according to The Daily Mail.

Cramer described the material's incredible value to soldiers who carry out operations during the day, or those who are trying to evade their enemy. Beyond that, the technology could have use on a larger scale, on submarines, tanks or aircraft, for example.

"As news spreads of an invisible Canadian army which can move without detection, the psychological effect on the enemy is devastating, they never know when or even if this invisible army has them targeted or surrounded," he said."How can you hit a target you cannot see, how do you defend from the invisible?"

Cramer and his grandfather began the research company in 1999, according to The Globe and Mail. In 2002, Cramer saw the Canadian Forces' updated camouflage, deemed it a waste of taxpayer money, and uploaded his own creations to the Internet, sparking interest in his designs. The company has since developed an impressive portfolio of projects across many countries, but 'Quantum Stealth' really catches the eye, so to speak.

Best cloaking I have seen so far. If they can do this with a fabric, or malleable synthetic material, it's just a short matter of time prior to paints and various exteriors bearing out the same characteristic invisibility. Cool!

I find it somewhat sad that any new inventions are automatically taken up for military matters alone.

Predator style cloaking would indeed be very cool!

Unfortunately, I don't believe this company has any. Hyperstealth corporation consists of two guys. I looked at their financials. The term "vaporware" and "pump-n-dump" came to mind...

Quantum Stealth; The Invisible Military Becomes A Reality

From Wikipedia on vaporware:

"Vaporware" took another meaning when it was used to describe a product that did not exist. A new company named Ovation Technologies announced their office suite Ovation in 1983. The company invested in an advertising campaign that promoted Ovation as a "great innovation", and showed a demonstration of the program at computer trade shows.

The demonstration was well received by writers in the press, featured in a cover story for an industry magazine, and reportedly created anticipation among potential customers. It was later revealed by executives that Ovation never existed. The fake demonstration was created in an attempt by the company to raise money"

well
Predator style cloaking would indeed be very cool!

Unfortunately, I don't believe this company has any. Hyperstealth corporation consists of two guys. I looked at their financials. The term "vaporware" and "pump-n-dump" came to mind...

Quantum Stealth; The Invisible Military Becomes A Reality

From Wikipedia on vaporware:

"Vaporware" took another meaning when it was used to describe a product that did not exist. A new company named Ovation Technologies announced their office suite Ovation in 1983. The company invested in an advertising campaign that promoted Ovation as a "great innovation", and showed a demonstration of the program at computer trade shows.

The demonstration was well received by writers in the press, featured in a cover story for an industry magazine, and reportedly created anticipation among potential customers. It was later revealed by executives that Ovation never existed. The fake demonstration was created in an attempt by the company to raise money"

Well, considering that it's been around for some time, albeit not nearly as good as this application, it kinda makes sense that it could be improved upon...unless....this is an informational conspiracy plant. Run!

Best cloaking I have seen so far.

But we haven't seen it:

For security reasons, the company will not provide public demonstrations, only mockup photos. But Cramer said groups within the U.S. military and Canadian military have seen the technology and can back up his claims, according to The Daily Mail.

Tabloid quoting the CEO of the company. I don't know that extraordinary proof is required, no matter how many times that mantra is repeated. Plain old proof would be good enough for me. Manipulated photos provided by a company hoping to sell, well stock at least, presumably, is no proof of anything.

Last edited:
I don't think the latter part of that had anything to do with CNN. But I'm not going to bother chasing it down.

The Harry Potter clip in the CNN story was pretty convincing though! :D

Back