• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Arnold Sighting - Mistaken Identification????

Well that is a bird named after Jack Northrop, and at least this one has some of those scalloped edges he reported for the one odd shaped craft flying in the squadron.

Those Flying Wing's simply do not conform at all to Arnold's sighting in any way whatsoever - see above in the thread.
There are in fact several versions of this plane between 1940 and 1947 and one matches the backside scallops, very similar to Arnold's drawing. I've seen all the posts above this so I assume you mean see his drawing. But then I hate assuming.

There are in fact several versions of this plane between 1940 and 1947 and one matches the backside scallops, very similar to Arnold's drawing. I've seen all the posts above this so I assume you mean see his drawing. But then I hate assuming.
Oops. The above being said, and the foot now being in my mouth, let me correct myself: there are multiple versions of the XB-35 and YB-35..but I now see that what I was referring to is an image labeled Northrop Flying wing, but is in fact an HO-IX. My mistake, Burnt State.

Please post a pic as i'm not seeing anything in that HO-IX series matching his drawing that was cut off in the post above.What do you see as the other ships, the pie plates with a chunk missing off the back end and glowing dome center?

Please post a pic as i'm not seeing anything in that HO-IX series matching his drawing that was cut off in the post above.What do you see as the other ships, the pie plates with a chunk missing off the back end and glowing dome center?
I realized you meant see above, as in read the pdf above. So I'm doing that now.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
Above is a picture of Arnold, then 4 images that come up on google image when you search for "Northrop flying wing 1947".
The first pic actually is, but the rest are not, which is another example of why the internet is best served with a pinch of salt.
But at least you can see where the confusion might arise. No?
I'm not arguing that what Arnold saw was or wasn't anything.
Just that if we allow ourselves to take his basic description and add a little wiggle room for the factor that it was not something he had ever seen before (and might therefore be slightly off with some of the details), it could be construed as at least somewhat resembling the Northrop and/or the Horton.

It was pointed out above that this image Arnold is pointing at is not what he saw as a series of crafts and could represent the one odd bat shaped craft he saw accompanying the others. Unfortunately that scan was abbreviated. See Sentry's post above. But what's interesting to note is that's how this field evolves most frequently from fact to wiggle. Curse you internet.

Don't know if anyone here has ever noticed this before, but as I was discussing the German Horten Ho-229 with a friend, and how it was so far advanced of anything that the allies had during WWII, I noticed how close the model's that were built for Arnold's sighting and the Ho-229 resembled each other. Could Arnold really have seen a flight of Ho-229's skimming across the sky??? I wonder......
(End of WWII - 14 and 15 August 1945)
(Arnold sighting - June 24, 1947)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho_229
(even had stealth tech)
Ho229_zps363dfd46.jpg

ArnoldUFO_zps68621d46.jpg

KennethArnold_zps263fd60a.jpg
Pretty uncanny resemblance. It makes you wonder?

From Saturday Night Uforia: The Positively True Story of Kenneth Arnold - Part Ten
ptssaucershapes.jpg

Above: Depictions of Arnold's first saucer sighting. Left, as given in his July, 1947 report to Wright Field. Middle, as portrayed for his Spring, 1948 Fate magazine article. Right, as illustrated in his self-published pamphlet in 1950, titled "The Flying Saucer As I Saw It". Arnold is shown with the picture in a 1966 Associated Press wire photo which included the statement "Arnold said pulsating light came from the dark spot in the center".
I never saw this thread but this is exactly what I posted earlier. Looks like 3 completely different craft to me. Which one did he actually see?

Back