• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Best On Demand Videos (Netflix, Amazon, or even Youtube)

Chris Talbert

Paranormal Novice
I know why people in this field encourage buying of books. I have a few on the way already. But, some of the ones I really want to read are not in print and are really salty $$$$. But, I regularly visit thrift stores and the thrift wholesale joints, where you can buy books by the pound, literally. I got a list and I'm going to stay on the look out.

I know that I rarely read books anymore, (I used too), but the internet has spoiled me. I know I'm not the only one. I'm curious and wading into the dusty stacks again. In the mean time are there any good videos on netflix, amazon, or even Youtube that are worth watching?

I cut the cable cord at my house. We just do streaming now. I'm not paying that much for crap and commercials and I DON'T WATCH FOOTBALL. I do have Netflix, and Amazon Prime access.

Does anyone here have some specific recommendations from their selection?

BTW: Site administrators feel free to insert some commissioned links from amazon with your affiliate code $$$$. I'm willing to pay to view, if someone gives a solid recommend?

Last edited:
May, I humbly, and respectfully suggest Mr Steinberg, that you never say "fees" because the person clicking the link never NEVER, pays any more. You just get a percentage of the sale. Just my suggestion.

I have gotten my hands on many hard to find and expensive books..on paranormal and non - paranormal matters...via inter library loans. At my local library in santa monica it's only $5 and while there is no guarantee that your request will be fulfilled, I've only had one refusal in scores of requests.

It's starts with a world cat search for the volume you want and do a "find a library near you", it may be several states away but don't let that fact concern you.

Thanks Wade. I just stopped by the library the other day and got my first library card in 20 years. Yea, I forgot about inter-library loans.

Even though I think I rarely read I still end up with about 10 bushels of no-longer wanted books every time I move.

I know why people in this field encourage buying of books. I have a few on the way already. But, some of the ones I really want to read are not in print and are really salty $$$$. But, I regularly visit thrift stores and the thrift wholesale joints, where you can buy books by the pound, literally. I got a list and I'm going to stay on the look out.

I know that I rarely read books anymore, (I used too), but the internet has spoiled me. I know I'm not the only one. I'm curious and wading into the dusty stacks again. In the mean time are there any good videos on netflix, amazon, or even Youtube that are worth watching?

I cut the cable cord at my house. We just do streaming now. I'm not paying that much for crap and commercials and I DON'T WATCH FOOTBALL. I do have Netflix, and Amazon Prime access.

Does anyone here have some specific recommendations from their selection?

BTW: Site administrators feel free to insert some commissioned links from amazon with your affiliate code $$$$. I'm willing to pay to view, if someone gives a solid recommend?

Based only on personal preferences. And my tastes can be rather unusual:

-"Dead Man" starring Johnny Depp. A dark masterpiece IMO.

-The TV series "Breaking Bad". I neglected to watch it during its TV run because I had tagged it for pop garbage. It is, to the contrary, brilliantly written and acted. Be forewarned that certain scenes are not suitable for youngsters or on a full stomach.

-The old Twilight Zone in its entirety. There is a certain magic in these old B/W episodes from the creepy fifties.

-Netflix has a number of UFO documentaries--some quite good and some quite lame. But I believe James Fox's work is to be found there.

-"The Fisher King" with Robin Williams.

------------- Oops. Just checked and "The Fisher King" is no longer available for instant download. Movies seem to come and go, which can be frustrating at times.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I was thinking along paranormal/ufo lines, but I appreciate the other suggestions.

My kinds 13,14,16, have watched all the twilight zones on thier own. Watch their favourites again. I think its great that in this age even young people can get a kick out of them despite tiny budgets, and black and white filming.

My personal fav. is the "The Obsolete Man"

Last edited:
I love Footboall season! It's when I get all the nature trails, movie theaters, restaurants and other places all to myself.

With that said... The best advice I can give you for watching videos on Netflix or Amazon Prime is browse for movies via your PC and save them to you watch list and then when you sit down at your TV they're all queued up for you.

Yesterday I watched this great movie called "Alien Abduction" and it's the best in the "Found Footage" genre that I've ever seen. Freaked me out more than "Blair Witch Project." There are some gems out there but you need to be willing to try out some flicks out for a couple of moments to find them. Sifting through the dregs can be frustrating some times.

Thanks Redhat man!

... for the suggestion on the putting movies in the que. I run a couple of roku boxes around the house and the kids watch on game systems, PC's, and phones (teens). I have a complete netflix library browser app installed on the roku's, but it leaves a lot to be desired. I'll watch that video recommend when the wife isn't around. She thinks I'm bat $hiat crazy, for my interest in the topic.

BTW ... glad to meet another open source fan in here! I run mere xubuntu (ok ... boo hiss) on my laptop and a FreeNas file server, nowadays. The rest of the house runs windows. I don't have time fiddle with unpacking tar balls and fiddling with bash files to get the latest distro to work on my compy, these days. It's a compromise I'm willing to live with.

I've never been to a UFO convention/conference, but when the hosts complain about them, I know exactly what the podcast is talking about. Why? I've gone to a few Linuxfests, and I see the same thing. Attendance is down, everyone is divided in camps and the true legit techies are being driven away. Just replace the term "presenters" with "podcasters". Everyone seems to be forgetting the goal absorbed with petty personal/distro differences.

As far as football I know what you mean. I live near Indy and I love to take the kids to the empty downtown to all the other sites and geo caching when the "circuses" are in town.

My only Netflix recommendation would be to watch "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown," which I find to be one of the best, most insightful programs ever put on by CNN.

I also have another suggestion for you, which is slightly related to your stated (former) interest in books. Have you considered LibriVox.org? It's a free service offering audiobooks in the public domain. Might be a useful means to get back into books without having to actually *gulp* read anything. It's worked well for some of my friends, although I cannot seem to get into it myself because of my personal preference towards traditional books.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I've used LibriVox.org. I believe, it is a crowd source project where volunteer read public domain books. To begin with I'm a HUGE fan of crowd sourcing. From what I understand, we owe the existence of the Oxford dictionary to such an endeavour. I've listened to some Greek and Roman mythology selections from there. Unfortunately, because of the nature of public domain, it's not a good place to look for the paranormal. If you can deal with some pretty rough accents, it can be OK. However, paid voice talent is head and shoulders above volunteers, for this duty. Folks should try it out. It may work for you. You can't beat the price.

I'm feeling the sting of lash marks, for my abandonment of print. Please, don't beat me for being honest. About the time I had three kids in diapers with me and Mom working full time plus, the books were just in the way on my night stand (circa 2002). I just got addicted on the ease of the internet. I still buy reference books and software bibles, but sitting down to read time is scarce (kids are still in the house). Thanks to the 2008 crash, my job is so mindless I can listen intently to audio 60 hours a week, and get paid for it. I hope the forum members don't think I'm a primitive.

I like the oxford dictionary crowd source story here are some supporting and entertaining links. IMO?

Crowdsourcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you like this ^^^^ (I hope someone does) ^^^^ check out the complete "History of English"

Last edited:
I was thinking along paranormal/ufo lines, but I appreciate the other suggestions.

My kinds 13,14,16, have watched all the twilight zones on thier own. Watch their favourites again. I think its great that in this age even young people can get a kick out of them despite tiny budgets, and black and white filming.

My personal fav. is the "The Obsolete Man"
Check out Mirage Men if you haven't already. I wasn't a fan of the UFO documentary "Hidden Hand" showing on Netflix but I did enjoy UFO's the Secret History. Also Gene is correct that "House of Cards" is a great show!

Back