• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Russian Jet Fighter Stunts

Charlie Prime

Paranormal Adept
From a 2014 air show near Paris:

Pfffft. <Yawn> In 1984 I used to do wheelies on my 82 Suzuki 750 motorcycle the entire length of the Sonic drive-in to impress girls.

Just kidding. These stunts are bad-azz. I think that one where they go vertical and stall is called a "Hammer Head". Doing that move only 50 feet above the ground is insane.

Anybody know what model of warplanes those are?

These stunts are bad-azz. I think that one where they go vertical and stall is called a "Hammer Head". Doing that move only 50 feet above the ground is insane. Anybody know what model of warplanes those are?
Nice find. I dunno for sure what they are, but with those forward aerofoils, I'd wager dollars to doughnuts they're Sukhoi something.

From a 2014 air show near Paris:

Pfffft. <Yawn> In 1984 I used to do wheelies on my 82 Suzuki 750 motorcycle the entire length of the Sonic drive-in to impress girls.

Just kidding. These stunts are bad-azz. I think that one where they go vertical and stall is called a "Hammer Head". Doing that move only 50 feet above the ground is insane.

Anybody know what model of warplanes those are?

Quite impressive you have to admit. You are correct about the hammer head stall. But more is going on here. What makes most of those maneuvers possible is the combination of vectored exhaust and aircraft design with at least as much raw thrust as the plane's gross weight. Don't try this at home !

The only hammer head I ever saw in person turned out to be a guy in a small single engine plane desperate to put his aircraft on the ground as quickly as possible so as to empty his bladder. The airport was so small-town that it had been deserted for lunch hour and I think he wound up going outside behind one of the hangers. Other than we three, there was not a soul in sight. His passenger/girlfriend kindly signed my student pilot logbook to verify my having been there and they were soon on their way. I laughed by donkey off.

I'm sad to report that I was tricked by deceptive editing. :(

Some of the planes in my video above are model aircraft. The editor mixed real video from a Paris air show with the video below of hobbyists performing stunts with radio-control model aircraft.

The footage above was edited to eliminate any scenes showing size perspective of the planes to the people, as seen in the same footage below.

I admit I was shocked at the idea that any Russian commander would allow a $75 million dollar piece of equipment to be flown so close to the ground, and spectators. But I was so impressed I fell for it.

Sukhoi Su-30MKI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Live and learn" as they say.

Some of the planes in my video above are model aircraft. The editor mixed real video from a Paris air show with the video below of hobbyists performing stunts with radio-control model aircraft.

The footage above was edited to eliminate any scenes showing size perspective of the planes to the people, as seen in the same footage below.

I admit I was shocked at the idea that any Russian commander would allow a $75 million dollar piece of equipment to be flown so close to the ground, and spectators. But I was so impressed I fell for it.

Yep. Check the R/C aircraft video. Looks familiar.

:( :eek: :mad:

The SU 35 going through its paces. A little more credible but still amazing.

Last edited:

Thanks for the update. With a little more study the model "aircraftiness" becomes more apparent, but between the power of suggestion and quick scan, it had me fooled too. The Su-30MKI doesn't look like a match for the planes though. I think they're based on an older Isreali jet called the IAI Lavi.

Last edited:
Back