• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Exotic Aircraft & Black Projects

This thing is so creepy flying around hallways like Phantasm. I want one to stick cutlery and laser pens on and fly down the middle of the street.

Yep, it's a neat little rc craft, but that's just it, at any distance less than a quarter mile you would know it's an rc model with their little mini chainsaw motors a buzzin' .

Beamed power UAV experiments[edit]
The idea of using UAVs as a cheaper alternative to satellites for atmospheric research, earth and weather observation, and particularly communications goes back at least to the late 1950s, with conceptual studies focused on UAVs with conventional propulsion, or new forms of propulsion using microwave beamed power or photovoltaic solar cells.

Raytheon suggested what would now be described as a UAV using beamed power, flying at an altitude of 15 kilometers (9.3 mi), as far back as 1959, and actually performed a proof-of-concept demonstration in 1964, with a transmitting antenna powering a helicopter on a 20 meter (65 foot) tether. The helicopter carried a rectifying antenna or "rectenna" array incorporating thousands of diodes to convert the microwave beam into useful electrical power.

The 1964 demonstration received a good deal of publicity, but nothing came of it, since enthusiasm for Earth satellites was very high and the rectenna system was heavy and inefficient. However, in the 1970s, NASA became interested in beamed power for space applications, and, in 1982, published a design for a much lighter and cheaper rectenna system.

The NASA rectenna was made of a thin plastic film, with dipole antennas and receiving circuits embedded in its surface. In 1987, the Canadian Communications Research Center used such an improved rectenna to power a UAV with a wingspan of 5 meters (16 feet 5 inches) and a weight of 4.5 kilograms (9.9 pounds), as part of the Stationary High Altitude Relay Platform (SHARP) project. The SHARP UAV flew in a circle at 150 meters (490 feet) above a transmitting antenna. The UAV required 150 watts, and was able to obtain this level of power from the 6 to 12 kilowatt microwave beam.

Background[edit]
The concept of using beamed power for aircraft propulsion was invented almost single handedly by William C. Brown.[1] After joining Raytheon in the 1940s, Brown started work on improving their magnetron products. This led to the development of thecrossed-field amplifier, a simple, reliable and highly efficient microwave amplifier. He later worked with colleagues to develop the rectenna with, which receives microwaves (the (an)"tenna") and converts them directly to DC power (the "rect"ifier).[2]

Brown now had a system that converted input power to microwaves with up to 70% efficiency, then received them back with 70% efficiency, resulting in a closed-circuit of about 50% overall efficiency. Brown looked for applications of the technology, working on both solar power satellites (SPS) and the High Altitude Powered Platform (HAPP) concept. This research went as far as flying a model helicopter using beamed power in 1965.[3]

NASA also invested in the rectenna concept as part of their SPS work. This was tested in a ground-to-ground experiment in 1975,[4] and as part of this they developed lightweight versions of the rectenna. In 1982, Brown and James Trimer (of NASA) announced a new version of the rectenna using printed circuit techniques that reduced the weight by ten times.[2] This made aircraft applications much more attractive.

How synchronistic! I was just dreaming in the future when my children, suddenly decades older than now came to me with their Tesla plans to create new towers for the imminent event that was foretold. I wake up with the phrase 'scalar waves' echoing on my tongue. Over and over I whisper it that morning, in the hallway, looking strangely at the tube of toothpaste, like I've never seen it before, 'scalar waves,' I mumble to myself. Weird.

However I bet the Reptilians will reply using simple smoke and mirrors, of course.

How synchronistic! I was just dreaming in the future when my children, suddenly decades older than now came to me with their Tesla plans to create new towers for the imminent event that was foretold. I wake up with the phrase 'scalar waves' echoing on my tongue. Over and over I whisper it that morning, in the hallway, looking strangely at the tube of toothpaste, like I've never seen it before, 'scalar waves,' I mumble to myself. Weird.

However I bet the Reptilians will reply using simple smoke and mirrors, of course.
haaaaaaaa. You dream Tesla? Wow your even brainier in your dreams ...

You have to admit that along with clandestine advances in super technologies have come incredibly effective means and methods of keeping peeks and pics of this stuff from us lowly peasants out here. What we know we don't know is in itself pretty amazing.

Not sure if posting this in a dead thread is correct. I did some searching around and couldn't find anything about this on this forum. Is anyone aware of Freeman Field in Seymore Indiana? It's a possible buried bone-yard for seized Nazi aircraft from WWII. There is a volunteer project digging around on the old site?

Photos « Freeman Field Recovery Team

Freeman Army Airfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does anyone know about this? Are there any unanswered questions surrounding the place?

- added- One additional note. The historical website has some interesting documents including directives accident reports, movement of equipment and rosters for the base. Mentions of project "lusty". and I think I recognize a few names from project grudge on them. Particularly Col. Harold Watson, maybe there are more?

Freeman Army Air Field

Last edited:
Back