• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Paranormal, Dungeons & Dragons And You...

Do you think that your interest in games and the paranormal (any subject) are connected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UKCurmudgeon

Paranormal Novice
developing in UFOs but with a very open mind on other topics. I didn't believe everything I read, nor do I to this day, but I do absorb everything even if by B.S meter is in the red.

I got into role playing games in 1980/81 at the age of 11, having found a taste for sci-fi and fantasy novels.

Initially I saw no connection between the two topics, but in the mid 90s when I owned a game store and the X Files was all over the screens, I noticed that companies were tying in games to the paranormal in a far more direct way. Also, speaking to other gamers in my store it was apparent that they also had paranormal interests of all kinds.

However, I was not myself drawn to games of this type and pretty much kept the two separate, but I am pretty sure that it was my sense of there being 'more' and my somewhat artistic mindset which drew me to both the paranormal and the fantastic.

So, there you are, I'd like to hear how about other people's experience (if any) and I am not going to be judgmental. After all I know of at least 2 'big names' in the gaming industry who are seriously interested in occult/paranormal matters.

Thanks for your time, and indeed to Gene and Chris for a great show.

Mark
UK

I will admit I have a big interest in Sci Fi games but that is not influenced by my interest in UFO's etc.

I have been playing EVE online for around 8 or so years now (internet spaceships) and used to play D&D at school, I also play Settlers of Catan with friends on a regular basis and CIV I have played since CIV 1 came out all those years ago.

Either way I don't see any connection with my gaming and my interest in the Paranormal, anyway an interesting topic to mull over so thanks for posting.

Gaming that immerses you into another world and altered reality does in fact seem to have a direct connection to the paranormal. Whether it's cryptids, ultraterrestrials or talking to the dead there is a suggestion of an altered world at work, one in which we make up our own rules, methods, talents and skills. It reminds me a lot of playing D&D with this exceptional dungeon master who regularly took us into whole new realms of the imagination for a good 12-18 hours at a time.

The other connection to gaming of course is the weird world of disinformation. The real dungeon masters like Doty et. al. seem to relish in convincing people that things are not what they seem, and that reality has in fact altered. They make a game of reality.

I would separate both of the above sentiments from actual witness cases where people believe that they have seen something entirely impossible and inexplicable. But it seems that there is a pathway between the paranormal and gaming universe where certain techniques & curiosities play out the same way in both spaces.

Last edited:
Oh bollocks. I used to play D&D over 30 years ago when I was in high school. There were lots of us who got together to play avidly. I was interested in UFO's and the strange, the weird, and just unusual things long before that. So I don't think gaming like that had any direct effect on my "bizarre" interests.
I do remember a lot of horse-hockey being thrown around about the "dangers" of D&D, "Oh you'll be possessed for sure!!!"........It was just a fun game. I'd still love to play, but I don't know anyone who still does.

This was the "game" that cemented my relationship with the paranormal when I was in high school.

tumblr_inline_mw8jxuKqL81s7rzhh.jpg

I do remember a lot of horse-hockey being thrown around about the "dangers" of D&D, "Oh you'll be possessed for sure!!!"........It was just a fun game. I'd still love to play, but I don't know anyone who still does.
Do you remember that made for TV movie that came out in the 80's warning north american audiences their youth would lose their minds to fantasy games like D&D because they were unable to distinguish between reality and the game?

It seems like there's always a censor around the corner ready to accuse comic books, fantasy games, and heavy metal of stealing the souls of teens. Really, it's a conservative, Brady Bunch ideology that can create an altered reality.

Interesting point about D&D - it was invented by two men who were devout Christians, but not in an uptight, preachy way. Therefore the original version of the game was meant to subtly indoctrinate the players with Christian values. For example, you were required to choose an alignment - a moral outlook - and stick to it or suffer various penalties. Nothing prevented you from being evil, but you soon found out that this made the game much harder to play, because you were required to do things that made everybody hate you.

Similarly, none of the character classes was good at everything, so in order to succeed you had to cooperate, which was a lot harder if you didn't trust each other. Clerics - the religious character class - were heavily pressured to choose spells that corresponded to their alignments, meaning that evil clerics ended up with negative, harmful spells that were about one-tenth as useful as their good equivalents.

Wizards who chose to be evil could summon devils and demons, and if you were an evil wizard, you kind of felt obliged to. However, if you actually summoned such a creature using the old-style D&D rules, you fell into a very nasty trap. The procedure was so lengthy and expensive that it wasn't worth doing unless you called up something really powerful - as in, powerful enough to kill you. And it was just barely under your control, if that - forcing fiends to obey you required another even more tricky and costly spell that didn't always work. It was far more trouble than it was worth, and usually got you dragged off to Hell. Good wizards, on the other hand, could summon powerful beings which, so long as the task you required of them was neither frivolous nor wicked, would cooperate happily.

So it was supremely ironic that those dogmatic idiots with the knee-jerk responses to everything condemned a game which basically agreed with them. Seriously; get hold of the first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons core rules, play an evil character strictly by those rules, and see how far you get before you start asking your Dungeon Master how to go about reforming, because evil's getting to be a drag.

But anyway... Returning to the topic we're supposed to be discussing, while I've never noticed a direct correlation between D&D and belief in supposedly real weird stuff, that may be because I've never actually asked any True Believers if they indulge in fantasy role-playing games when they're not attending meetings of their local UFO club. Frankly, unless they spontaneously start talking about their gaming activities, it's an impossible subject to raise in a way that doesn't sound sarcastic.

However, I have noticed a very distinct tendency for extreme believers in Fortean phenomena to take the works of H. P. Lovecraft way too seriously. This is slightly different from what the OP had in mind, but still, I think, in the same ball-park, although HPL was an atheist with no paranormal beliefs whatsoever. Indeed, one of his stories, "The Dunwich Horror", includes a deliberately blasphemous parody of the Crucifixion by way of a very dark joke.

He himself commented, as a result of receiving a disturbing number of letters from people who thought the Necronomicon was a real book, that obviously it couldn't be, because if there existed a book containing instructions which, if followed to the letter, would result in the extinction of humanity, and copies of it had been kicking around for hundreds of years, by now some idiot would have read out the spell because that's the kind of thing people do, and we wouldn't be around to discuss it. (You can of course now buy "genuine" copies of the Necronomicon - last time I looked there were 8 different versions, none of which predated its invention by HPL.)

It's worth pointing out that Richard Shaver, who was a paranoid schizophrenic and therefore probably meant every word he wrote, may very likely have pinched the basis for his entire belief-system from an obscure and not terribly good HPL story co-authored with Zelia Bishop called "The Mound". It sat in a drawer for 10 years because HPL wasn't happy with it, but he needed the money, and it eventually saw print in "Weird Tales", a magazine of the type Shaver was known to read avidly, at exactly the time when he had just been released from mental hospital (or prison - Shaver's biographical details are extremely vague when it comes to his pre-fame years) and was about to start work on "I Remember Lemuria". There are certainly rather a lot of similarities.

Like almost everything HPL wrote, it's now in the public domain, so I expect you can find it online very easily if you're interested. As I said, it's not one of his better stories, but the Shaver connection makes it worth reading. Incidentally, Tim "Mister UFO" Beckley recently tried to pass off a condensed version of it as a totally real non-fictional thing that actually happened, presumably because it's hardly ever anthologized so he was hoping nobody would notice.

But anyway, my impression is that people who take paranormal phenomena very seriously, including those who take them more seriously than is healthy, aren't any more interested in fantasy role-playing games than any other group of people, and perhaps less so, since they may feel that these games belittle the things they believe in. The HPL connection is much stronger, and really stands out. There is of course an HPL role-playing game, but I've never seen any indication that people who take HPL's fiction way too seriously are likely to play it, though they may own copies of the rulebooks just because they're completists.

However, I have noticed a very distinct tendency for extreme believers in Fortean phenomena to take the works of H. P. Lovecraft way too seriously. This is slightly different from what the OP had in mind, but still, I think, in the same ball-park, although HPL was an atheist with no paranormal beliefs whatsoever. Indeed, one of his stories, "The Dunwich Horror", includes a deliberately blasphemous parody of the Crucifixion by way of a very dark joke.
What is a testament to H.P. Lovecraft is the incredible love of his craft he induced in his successive audiences. He's made something of a mark on human culture with his phantasmagoria of dreaded evil ancient creatures who ruled through blood cults and madness. Everytime you turn your head there's someone else who has got a copy of the Necronomicon in their horror movie to raise the dead. There are many fans of his on the forum well versed in his written lore. In the same way, H.R. Giger continues to carve out his own mark upon us of the digital era as we transition out of a matialist organic past. Our machine like monsters are now molded metallic oozing aliens that incubate in our minds & burst out staight from the chest. H.P & H.R. - descendants of Goya, both of them.
goya_y_lucientes_francisco_de-black_paintings_witches_sabbath_the_great_he-goat.jpeg

What is it about the horror of living that continues to haunt our days? Beyond the altered landscapes of these artists from hell there lies a deep psychological sentiment of our humanity: we are brutal, mortal & vulnerable to cults of fantasy, ego and terror. The game that is life marks us all mostly as prey in an Illumanati world of breakaway indfferent controllers. Let's face it - being a serf sucks. But on a more instinctual level we come from a history of playing games: being tricked out of eating our children while we try to cheat the dungeon master of destiny. The whole planet's been mostly eaten, and so time eats the future as does Saturn devouring his child in the painting below. The idea of living is really a prolonged strategy survival game. Many lose and face the horror of their situation. Others win and face the horror of their situation.
goya11.jpg

I'm glad you ased this question @UKCurmudgeon as it's been needling my brain for the last week, and now I know why.

"You recall that Pickman’s forte was faces. I don’t believe anybody since Goya could put so much of sheer hell into a set of features or a twist of expression."

(H. P. Lovecraft - "Pickman's Model")

I have never been drawn to or much interested in the horror genre in literature or film and have not participated in any video games in this genre. (Minesweeper is my forte). But I was drawn to this thread by the opening post as a way to begin to appreciate, perhaps, the motivations for the popularity in our time of horror-based fiction, films, and games. Toward that end I've done some research today and read an article that I think others here will find interesting. An extract and link are posted below.

From Axes to Grind: Re-Imagining the Horrific in Visual Media and Culture, Harmony Wu, editor, Special Issue of Spectator 22:2 (Fall 2002) 12-23.

TANYA KRZYWINSKA
Hands-On Horror

Extract:

" . . . The Horror Experience: From Film to
Games

The horror film derives much of its power to
thrill from the fact that the viewer cannot intervene
in the trajectory of events. While viewers
might feel an impulse to help beleaguered characters
in a horror film, they can never do so
directly. The horror film viewer might offer cries
of warning to the hapless teenagers who ignore
all diegetic warnings and persist in entering into
the spook house. The formula is well rehearsed,
soliciting groans and verbal advice, yet the
pleasure entailed in this process is founded on
awareness of the inevitability of the events that
will unfold. Characters and action ultimately
remain isolated from the sphere of the viewer,
regardless of the extent to which he or she might
“identify” with them. When watching a horror
film, viewers are always subjected to the flow of
events (unless they decide to turn away or cover
their eyes—a familiar reaction of some viewers
to moments of heightened horror or suspense).
. . .

In this sense, I concur with Steve Shaviro’s argument
that horror film suspense trades on a
masochistic economy of delicious passivity,
visceral affect and expectation.15 The spectator’s
experience of a restrictive inability to act on situations
is often underlined in horror film
thematics. Zombification, various types of
possession and bodily invasion are typical horror
film scenarios that represent a loss of
autonomy and self-determination.16 Theme
reflects reception here, the viewer—like the
beset characters on screen—is also helpless,
unable to alter the trajectory of on-screen action.
Yet film is less able than games to build into
their deep structure a concrete experience of
being in control and out of control of onscreen
events. None of this means that the film
viewer is entirely “passive” in the reception of
the film, however (a rhetorical trap that game
critics often fall into when discussing the
differences between gaming and cinema).
Viewers constantly engage, rationally and
irrationally, with the material presented on
screen; as Bruce Kawin puts it: “we interact
with the signs in the generation of meaning
and … our attention is selective.”17 The horror
film often plays more overtly with the
viewer’s inability to affect the action, however,
which is the key to some of its pleasures.

What, though, of the horror videogame? Does
the interactive dimension and the resulting
ability of the player to control the action
prevent horror games from replicating the
terrors and ecstasies of losing control?
It is my contention that the interactive
dimension of horror games enables a more
acute experience of losing control than that
achieved by most horror films. This is
achieved partly because, at times, the player
does have a sense of self-determination; when
it is lost, the sense of pre-determination is
enhanced by the relative difference. As I have
shown, game events are often taken out of the
player’s hands, a stratagem which allows the
deployment of horrific pleasures closer to
those of the horror film. Control and autonomous
action, which are always qualified, does
not mean the player is simply in a position of
mastery, however. The repeated actions, continual
“dying,” the intrusions of the sound
field, the cause-and-effect structure, the
operations of the “authored” structure, and
the cut-scenes, each work to offer the player a
sense that they are being acted upon by the
game’s deep structure. Like the horror film, it
is sharply apparent that the game’s virtual
world is a closed system: the authored aspect
of narration governs the fabric of game and
film, channeling the way we negotiate and
experience it. As Andrew Darley notes, and I
build on this to underpin my argument about
the moral occult, there are points in a game at
which its pre-programmed nature means
that the “element of control and choice…
is revealed as illusory.”18 Unlike Darley,
however, I do not see these moments as
“formulaic” game flaws. Instead, these
moments actively work to produce the crucial
sense of being out of control that is inherent to
the experience of horror. Although this
experience of being out of control is handled
in a different and deeper manner from that
of the horror film, there is a sense that the
virtual world, and its structuring moral
occult, is beyond a player’s control (even
if the player resorts to cheats and walkthroughs,
unless the cheat allows a player to defy the
game’s boundaries, in which case the sense
of immersion is lost).

There are some significant differences
borne of interactivity, however. Games are
organized around the traversal of space, to
which narrative is often secondary; in a film,
narrative is primary and always drives the organization
of space. This distinction provides
a further important difference between the
two media in terms of the way that “looking”
is treated. Unlike that of the horror film, the
operation of the moral occult in videogames is
rarely oriented around the punishment of
curiosity.19 Visual investigation becomes central
to the trajectory of a game as well as to the
way the story unfolds. Many horror films also
deploy an investigative strategy in the service
of narrative, yet it is at one remove from the
viewer, and is far more directed than in
games, which rarely deploy ellipses to eliminate
“dead” time. In some respects the more
open economics of looking in games unravels
the predetermined, ideological systems codified
in looking patterns of the horror film.
Most games, and specifically Undying, depend
on a player searching areas to find clues,
power-ups and other equipment that open the
way to the next level. As the game guide to
Evil Dead: Hail to the King warns, “Don’t be
afraid to look around and check out the area.
Otherwise, you might miss something important.”
Therefore, space is something to be
actively, physically, investigated if the player
is to “beat” the game. Looking in games can
mean that the player encounters danger, as
with Old Dark House-style horror films, yet
the difference is that (outside cut-scenes) the
player is encouraged to assert an active, rather
than passive, mode of looking.

Through the juxtaposition of being in and
out of control, horror-based videogames facilitate
the visceral and oscillating pleasures/
unpleasures of anxiety and expectation. The
interactive dimension heightens this fluctuating
sense of anticipation, implicating the
player in his or her fate. Failure to progress in
games necessitates repetition (being “stuck,”
with all its wider mythic and therapeutic
meanings). What is “punished” in videogames
is not so much curiosity, as in the horror film,
but the failure to make it into the next scene.
Through the active mode of investigation
facilitated by interactivity, the player may
place his/her avatar in peril, yet the trade-off
is access to new thrills and the promise of
continued gameplay. These are withheld if
a player does not pursue active investigation.
If a player fails to get through a set task, or
fails to explore effectively, the narrative itself
is withheld (no story before bedtime), a dimension
that is conventionally not available
in film. Darley usefully comments on this
exploratory aspect of games by suggesting
that “once a game is under way the player is
compelled continually and immediately to
respond.”20 Horror-based games are designed
to compel the player to investigate and overcome
dangerous encounters if they are to
uncover the game story and fully “colonize”
the game space. While the investigatory mode
might appear to be self-determined, it
demands a ritualized, mechanical response to
events. The moral occult of a game’s internal
structure pulls the player towards its goal of
defeating evil. Along the way, it solicits contradictory
desires for intensity, prolonged
tension, anxiety, compulsion and resolution.
The creation of such an emotionally discrepant
scenario fits quite neatly into Julia
Kristeva’s view that the experience of horror
is bound into “a vortex of summons and
repulsion.”21 The deployment of extrinsic,
Othered forces (akin to Lacan’s notion of
the “Big Other”) provided by the games’
programming that impinge on the player’s
freedom to act are rendered within horror’s
remit to provoke and intensify feelings
of powerlessness, offering an important
media-specific modulation of the generic
paradigm provided by the horror film and
affirming the value of looking at horror from
the perspective of games.

Potentially, interactivity presents a problem
to horror genre dynamics because its
inherent ability to allow players to drive the
way that they investigate the space of the
game means the loss of authorial control, to
some extent, of the narrational strategies used
to create suspense, which is crucial to the
development of the horror experience in film.
It is for this reason that videogames mix
interactivity with predetermined boundaries
and intrusive interventions that channel the
player’s engagement with the game. The
pleasure-suspense dynamics of horror-based
games are, as I have shown, very much
dependent on this combination. Both Undying
and Resident Evil 3 allow the player to act on
events, but only in a manner determined
by the game’s internal structure. Both games
create scenarios in which the erotic economics
of masochism can be experienced, which the
on/off dynamics of interactivity create and
heighten. As such it seems mistaken to call
games “promethean”:22 there is no transgression
of higher powers; players remain by and
large dependent on the tips bestowed, the
gameplay path is fated and predetermined.
At times during gameplay a player is dutifully,
sublimely, in their service, and the
pay-off is, precisely, the experiential gain of
suspense and tension. Yet this is always
balanced against a sphere of interaction that
promises self-directed agency.

Unlike their film counterparts, and in spite
of an often simplified moral framework,
horror-based videogames create a complex
interaction between bounded choice and
determinism that reflects, to some extent, the
way in which individuals interact with social
constraints. Within the safe context of the
fantasy arena of videogames, which are modally
marked as “fantasy” rather than reality
through their production values and generic
intertexts, the determinism of the game
accrues for the player a direct and heightened
experience of being acted upon. Games are
carefully designed and authored to take us to
emotional places that would perhaps be
avoided if full interactivity were available.
The manichean-based safety net actively
allows the games to invoke “dangerous” and
liminal experiences. Horror games interface
with the way in which technology is often
imagined as demonic and Othered; the player
is offered the challenge to defeat the technologically-
based demon (aided by the “good”
elements of the technology), which, if
achieved, can offer a pleasurable sense that
the technology has been mastered. The
contract drawn up between hands-on interaction
and hands-off pre-determinism works,
therefore, in part with the emotional and
erotic economics of masochism as much as
with the drive to act, colonize, and take
charge. The switching between the two intensifies
the experience of being both in control
and out of control, a strategy that is not fully
available to the horror film. This is because
such switching is grounded in the unique and
dynamic interactive nature of gaming media.

Author's note: I would like to thank Sue Morris, Geoff King, Will
Brooker, Harmony Wu and the editors of Spectator for
their insightful comments on this essay, a revised version
of which appears in ScreenPlay: cinema/videogames/
interfaces
(London: Wallflower Press, forthcoming).
Tanya Krzywinska is Senior Lecturer in Film Studies at Brunel University, LondonLondon, UK. She is the author
of A Skin for Dancing In: Possession, Witchcraft and Voodoo in Film (Flicks Books, 2000), co-author (with Geoff
King) of Science Fiction Cinema (Wallflower Press, 2001) and co-editor (with Geoff King) of ScreenPlay:
cinema/videogames/interfaces (Wallflower Press, 2002). She is currently working on a book entitled Sex and
the Cinema, interspersed with playing videogames in preparation for a co-authored book with the working
title Tomb Raiders and Space Invaders.

NOTES
1 Espen Aarseth, Cybertext: Perspectives on Ergodic Literature (Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 1997) 1.
2 See Geoff King and Tanya Krzywinska in the introduction to the forthcoming book, ScreenPlay: cinema/videogames/
interfaces (Geoff King and Tanya Krzywinska, eds. [London: Wallflower Press, 2002]) for a more lengthy consideration
of the relationship between games and cinema.

3 The term refers to a model of the universe formulated by a 3rd-5th century sect, the Manichees, for whom the
cosmos is a site of an endless dualistic battle between good and evil. Many popular texts are structured around a
battle between good and evil, good usually winning out in the end (see Tanya Krzywinska, “Hubble Bubble, Herbs
and Grimoires: Magic, Manichaeanism and Witchcraft in ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer,’” Fighting the Forces: Essays on
the Meanings of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, David Lavery and Rhonda Wilcox, eds. [Lanham, Boulder, New York and
London: Rowman & Littlefield, 2002]). The way in which good and evil is defined in a given text is, of course,
subject to dominant, and often fundamental, ideological values.
4 The horror genre has played an important role in targeting videogames to young adults (most games fall into the 15
rating bracket). The genre also has an established and very active body of fans, which makes them an ideal
grouping for videogames’ marketing.
5 Silent Hill 2 (Konami, 2001) is an example of a horror-based game that, in drawing from psychological-based horror,
makes an attempt to disrupt the conventional good-evil paradigm. This is achieved by building questions about
the “good” status of the avatar.
6 The term was first used by Peter Brooks to describe the way in which melodramas often work to literalize and
make visible in a text an ideologically constructed metaphysical order of universe, which is mainly organized in
terms of manicheanism: good versus evil. As Brooks puts it “Balzac and James need melodrama because the deep
subject, the locus of their true drama, has come to be what we have called the ‘moral occult’: the domain of
spiritual forces and imperatives that is not clearly visible within reality, but which they believe to be operative
there, and which demands to be uncovered, registered, articulated” (The Melodramatic Imagination: Balzac, Henry
James, Melodrama and the Mode of Excess, 2nd edition [New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1995] 20-21).
7 Unless, like Star Trek’s Captain Kirk (who once tampered with the programming of a “no-win” training simulation,
thereby beating an unbeatable scenario) players are able to interfere with a game’s programming.
8 Romero was slated to direct the Resident Evil film, but pulled out during production.
9 Eve Sedgwick, The Coherence of Gothic Conventions (London: Methuen, 1986).
10 The term is used in a programming context, which is, necessarily, a collective activity.
11 The game version of the Evil Dead films, Evil Dead: Hail to the King, employs the same fast-moving I-cam forwardtracking
shot in a clear attempt to map formal hallmarks of the parent film text onto the game medium.
12 Steve Neale, “Halloween: Suspense, Aggression and the Look,” Planks of Reason: Essays on the Horror Film, Barry
Keith Grant, ed. (Metuchen, New Jersey and London: Scarecrow Press, 1984); Linda Williams, “When the Woman
Looks,” Re-Vision: Essays in Feminist Film Criticism, Mary Ann Doane, Patricia Mellencamp and Linda Williams,
eds. (Frederick, MS: University Publications of America/American Film Institute, 1984); Carol J. Clover, Men,
Women and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film (London: BFI Publishing, 1992).
13 See Neale, Williams, Clover.
14 Other formal differences and similarities between film and games operate. The presence of altered realities in
Undying helps to sustain visual and narrative interest and may help to compensate for the absence of what in
cinema would be supplied through the use of cross-cutting, a key device used to create tension and signal threat.
Sound also plays a crucial role in both media to invoke the emotional impact of horror, and is often linked to the
operation of the moral occult. Many videogames deploy sound as a key sign of impending danger, designed to
agitate a tingling sense in anticipation of the need to act. The effect can be produced through changes in the type of
music being played or through sounds that have their sources directly in the space of the game. These aural cues,
present in both Undying and Resident Evil 3, help to create an increased level of expectation and play a significant
role in the creation of atmosphere as well as in emotional and structural dynamics of the games.
15 Steven Shaviro, The Cinematic Body (Minneapolis and London: University of Minnesota, 1993) 55.
16 See Tanya Krzywinska, A Skin For Dancing In: Possession, Witchcraft and Voodoo in Film (Trowbridge: Flicks Books,
2000) for a discussion of possession in the horror film.
17 Bruce Kawin, “The Mummy’s Pool,” Planks of Reason: Essays on the Horror Film, Barry Keith Grant, ed. (Metuchen
and London: The Scarecrow Press, 1984) 4.
18 Andrew Darley, Visual Digital Culture: Surface Play and Spectacle in New Media Genres (London and New York:
Routledge, 2000) 157.
19 For example, Kawin states that the horror film “emphasizes the dread of knowing, the danger of curiosity” (8). A
very literal rendition of this appears in Opera (1988), where the eye is literally and graphically punished.
20 Darley, 156.
21 Julia Kristeva, The Powers of Horror, trans. Leon S. Roudiez (New York and Oxford: Columbia University Press,
1982) 1.
22 Steven Poole, Trigger Happy (London: Fourth Estate, 2000) 217.

Last edited:
Do you remember that made for TV movie that came out in the 80's warning north american audiences their youth would lose their minds to fantasy games like D&D because they were unable to distinguish between reality and the game?

It seems like there's always a censor around the corner ready to accuse comic books, fantasy games, and heavy metal of stealing the souls of teens. Really, it's a conservative, Brady Bunch ideology that can create an altered reality.

I think I remember something about that. I do remember a movie about college students playing D&D and becoming psycho killers.
And you're right. It seems the older generations are always trying to crush or put down the younger generations.

Some interesting responses so far. It's worth noting that the current popularity of Lovecraft was fuelled by the game rather than the other way around if we trace the history of the game. I recall that I myself already had a big interest in the paranormal way before that particular game, too.

The book about teenagers spiralling out of control due to a game was 'Mazes & Monsters' by Rona Jaffe, urned into a film with Tom Hanks. Jaffe of course was a writer of soft-lens romances. I actually have a copy on my reference shelves.

Even in the U.K we had a D&D panic. My home city of Sheffield had an overzealous Bishop who said we were all damned. That phase passed, particularly when my parents saw me making money from the hobby and not going out and causing hell with my class mates through under age drinking etc.

It is also worth noting that the Call Of Cthulhu game came with a book containing 'actual' Fortean reports and a timeline. Many of those were in England and itwas interesting to be able to use said timeline to pin down original newspaper reports.

Anyway, I'll step back and let you carry on.... ;)

Here's a true story which was told to me by a friend, who is sadly no longer with us, but who used to be a professional stage magician. He mainly worked in night-clubs, so his audience were adults, and in order to avoid appearing childish, his act had a black magic theme. The actual tricks weren't really all that different from what you'd use to entertain the kiddies, but the props and the presentation were all suitably occult. There are quite a few magicians who do the same thing for the same reason, so there were plenty of slightly satanic tricks available, and naturally he was an expert in that extremely specialized field. He also had a flamethrower up his sleeve which enabled him to light cigarettes like a supervillain - I want one of those!

Anyway, there was one particular prop called the Necronomicon. He didn't actually have one, even though it would have fitted his act perfectly, because it was very expensive and not a particularly good trick, so I never saw it, but apparently it was a huge leather-bound book that looked exactly how you'd expect a Necronomicon to look. You weren't meant to read it, so the contents were just pages from various medieval grimoires. The trick was that it was a "forcing" prop. Which meant that if a member of the audience chose an apparently random page, it wasn't really random at all, and the magician would know it in advance, allowing him to "predict the future". Since he could already do several almost identical tricks with tarot cards, he never bothered with that much more costly one.

Anyway, the point is, although I believe that in the last decade or two they've lightened up slightly, the Magic Circle in the UK was, until very recently, an infinitely more secretive "secret society" than the Freemasons, and there were real consequences if you broke the rules. Obviously they didn't kill you or anything, but a serious infraction meant you were out, permanently, and that pretty much ended any professional career as a magician you were ever likely to have. The most important rule was that you didn't reveal any professional secrets whatsoever to non-members. Even their mail-order catalogues gave very brief and cryptic descriptions of what the tricks on offer actually did that only a magician would understand, and obviously you couldn't order this stuff unless you could prove you were a member.

It came to the attention of certain Lovecraft obsessives who thought the Great Old Ones actually existed that there was this very secretive club that admitted its members did "magic", but pretended it was only of the rabbit-out-of-a-top-hat variety, and had a "Necronomicon" for sale that the general public couldn't buy. He told me that himself, as well as several other magicians he'd had a good laugh with about it, had received very generous offers from members of the poor spelling and green ink brigade if he would obtain a copy on their behalf. Naturally, they didn't realize that, since being caught breaking the rules of the Magic Circle would leave your career in ruins forever, it was almost impossible to bribe a magician to do so, and offering him five or ten times the price listed in the catalogue was nowhere near enough. But of course, these characters assumed that, if not even that amount of money would induce people who were in on the secret to part with a copy, it must REALLY be the Necronomicon...

Maybe both fields of interest are connected in that they appeal to people with a vivd imagination, but I don't think gamers in general will automatically be interested in the paranormal or UFOs. In my own case, the two interests are quite distinctive. I love games and roleplaying as forms of entertainment but my arm-chair research into the paranormal is more of a study and less playful (still a hobby, though).

I started a poll on a similar subject (belief in the paranormal instead of interest) years ago on an RPG forum and the majority of people said that while they liked fantastical settings with supernatural elements, they did not believe in the possibilty of the paranormal. So I guess roleplayers are not more likely to be interested or even believe in these topics than the average person. See also this UFO-related topic in the same forum.

In forums as well as in talking to other roleplayers, I've often got strong negative reactions when I indicated that I was interested in 'these things'. I think that roleplayers still think people might suspect them to be (oc)cultists because they play a wizard in a roleplaying game. So they distance themselves." I play with it, but I don't believe in it".
I guess the "dark dungeons" still haunt us.

Last edited:
...now that I've been thinking about it, an awful lot of the games of my choice at least touch the areas of "real mysteries" and the so-called paranormal. So I guess these interests aren't totally unconnected.

For example, I really liked the russian PC game "S.T.A.L.K.E.R" not only because of the apocalyptic Chernobyl setting but mainly because of it's story about a consciousness experiment gone wrong (which was sadly totally ignored even by most players). And I was probably one of the few people who really liked playing PC games like "Psi Ops" or "Second Sight".

Last edited:
Back