• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ufo over Stafford, England

Pigsinzen

Skilled Investigator
I came across this old video of a UFO filmed from a commercial jetliner over England. I'll attach the link to the documentary and the clip is introduced at 23:40. I'm interested to know if any of you have seen the video and if so if it's been proven to be a hoax?

That was a very interesting video that really is quite impressive visually. You can see how this super 8 film could create the illusion of a very fast, shapeshifting UFO.
r0301604.jpg

At least on most websites that's how it's treated - as a compelling example of a UFO filmed through a plane window. One website went so far as to invent a more extended narrative of the Oldfield couple having observed it flying behind the plane, though no one else on board did.

UFO-INVASION

But one poster on a YouTube clip identified the optical illusion created by a tailplane tip seen through the edges of the convex window. Apparently four seats specifically on the Handley Page Herald plane create this effect where a piece of the plane appears to float in a disembodied manner away from the plane, and looks like a space craft.
r0301619.jpg

As you change your depth of focus the image distorts, and then appears to disappear into the distance. I found an example of this detatched effect with propeller blades that is simply an optical illusion.

By anyone who has looked through the edge of those plane windows is familiar with this distorting optical effect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I can see what you're referring to yet I'm still on the fence a bit with the clip. Because the wingtip would've been a fixed point would it still have appeared to fall away as did the prop in your attached video?

There is another clip at 23:00 on the video in my first post that shows a test flight of the Concorde aircraft and a light that seems to drop out of the sky and then fly alongside the jet. It's a compelling video however it was examined and determined to be a trick of the light noticeable when the camera pulls up toward the end of the clip.

Thanks for the reply. I can see what you're referring to yet I'm still on the fence a bit with the clip. Because the wingtip would've been a fixed point would it still have appeared to fall away as did the prop in your attached video?
while it would be a fixed point the appearance of the floating, distorting tailplane tip changes and alters depending on your proximity to the window itself and is not really dependent on any external movement but on the movement within the plane itself. when you sit in a plane you can play around with this effect yourself just by looking at any distorted reflections along the edge of those curved windows. according to the poster this UFO is a known IFO, whose unique image is unique to this plane, producing that specific visual effect in a select numbere of seats, despite the fact that it still floats around the web like all manner of previously identified aerial anomalies.

If I find anything more certain or definitive on this specific incident I'll pass it along but it's not really well treated in the literature and couldn't find any reference for this case in any of my books at home.

I suppose it's a similar effect to putting on a thick pair of eyeglasses and the way the lens can distort the ground in front of you. Thanks for the explanation :)

the whole vid is worth a watch, most old footage like that has been 'cleaned up' off the net, and replaced with all the fake shitty vids.

I still don't understand how anyone thought Adamski's jerky fishing line material dancing back and forth a limited visual range was anything close to real.

I really liked some of the old, odd images from places around the world and rarely repeated anywhere.

Since we're discussing old UK UFO film/video, has anyone got a link (presumably on Youtube) for a UFO film taken by an ITN crew (pretty sure it wasn't BBC) in the mid/early 1970s?

I recall it being shown on the news as a typical "And Finally" type story. It showed a documentary crew filming some farming story in a field during the day when someone noticed an orange ball high in the sky leaving some sort of trail in its wake. I recall it moving at aeroplane-type speed in a straight line. It could have been a meteor, but didn't seem bright or fast enough.

It's always puzzled me, and looked as genuine as these things get, although it's decades ago and the memory plays tricks.

I've spent hours searching for it and maybe it would be worth linking to here for others to consider, if it can be located.

Regards,

Ian

Since we're discussing old UK UFO film/video, has anyone got a link (presumably on Youtube) for a UFO film taken by an ITN crew (pretty sure it wasn't BBC) in the mid/early 1970s?
... It showed a documentary crew filming some farming story in a field during the day when someone noticed an orange ball high in the sky leaving some sort of trail in its wake. I recall it moving at aeroplane-type speed in a straight line. It could have been a meteor, but didn't seem bright or fast enough.
I've spent hours searching for it

Hi Ian,

I'm fairly sure you have in mind the film captured by Noel Smart in October 1971 during the filming of a farming show.

The footage and interviews of the cameraman (Noel Smart) and production assistant (Christine Fewlass) appears 17 minutes and 25 seconds into the ITV documentary "UFOs : Network First"

Back