• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ufological PhD dissertations online - free

IsaacKoi

Paranormal Maven
Given the level of ridicule that surrounds ufology (which explains why I write about ufology under a pseudonym...), I think a lot of people would be surprised by the number of PhD dissertations that have been written relating to this subject. Most of these PhD dissertations have a sociological or psychological focus.

Few of the relevant PhD dissertations get mentioned very often in ufological discussions, presumably partly because most of them have not been easy for non-academics to obtain. So, I thought it worth putting a bit of time and effort into collating relevant details and making more of these dissertations freely available online.

I've posted relevant links and sample pages on another forum.

Given previous discussions on the Paracast forums, I think a few of you may be interested in this resource.

I'm still not sure about the etiquette of posting a link here to material on another forum, but it would take me quite a while to reformat all the links and images for posting here so I'll post the relevant link below:
Dr Who?? : UFO PhD dissertations - free online, page 1

Of course, if Gene or another moderator here would prefer that I don't post such links, just let me know (and feel free to delete this thread). I don't want to annoy anyone.

mosaic.JPG

I'm more concerned about ads, people trying to post links to their own books instead of actually buying advertising or trying to get on the show. That's what we will remove.

Sure, we have the right to promote our own stuff, cause it's our forum, our playground, our show, etc.

I'm more concerned about ads, people trying to post links to their own books instead of actually buying advertising or trying to get on the show. That's what we will remove.

Thanks Gene.

I sometimes find it a bit difficult to decide whether posting a link to something I've posted elsewhere is a bit rude.

It's a shame that UFO discussions are so fragmented over lots of different forums, blogs and Facebook pages. Errol Bruce-Knapp's UFO Updates email discussion List used to provide a somewhat centralised meeting-point so I could post my main updates there, but since that List shut down the fragmented nature of ufology has just got worse...

I appreciate the offer Gene but I did set up a replacement email discussion List a while ago and most of the original crew have made the move across - but it isn't quite the same as the higher profile List that Errol used to run (or at least it isn't the same as Errol's List when it was at its height of its popularity). It may simply be that the days of one centralised email discussion List have passed given the ease of posting multi-media material on Facebook pages or discussion forums.

(I haven't referred to the new List here or on other forums where I post, not because the new List is top-secret or anything but simply because I haven't wanted to be appearing to promote that List. In fact, I didn't respond to some misleading comments in a thread here on the Paracast about that new List because I thought a response from me may appear to be akin to advertising that List. Even including a link here to something I posted on a third-party forum, such as ATS, makes me a rather uneasy...).

It's not a commercial venture, so I have no problem posting the link. Certainly, as a subscriber to the original list, I'd like to join. Also, it wouldn't take much to give this list a much higher profile than it had before if you want to get more people to participate.

It's not a commercial venture, so I have no problem posting the link.

If you are sure you don't mind, it's fine with me.

Certainly, as a subscriber to the original list, I'd like to join.

It would be a pleasure to have you as a member, Gene.

As you can see from the public archive at the link below, the List is (intentionally) a relatively low-volume List - although it did have a brief burst of a high level of activity before one individual was banned. (My failure to ban that person sooner resulted in a few people leaving - I had hoped a couple of warnings would suffice...):
Google Groups

You can join via the above link or, if you prefer, by just sending a blank email to the email address below:
[email protected]

Any problems, just let me know here or by email ([email protected]).

Honestly, I'm not enamored of using Google for anything, since they are busy scraping content for targeted ads unless you opt out. But if it works for you, great.

So I did sign up.

Given the level of ridicule that surrounds ufology (which explains why I write about ufology under a pseudonym...), I think a lot of people would be surprised by the number of PhD dissertations that have been written relating to this subject. Most of these PhD dissertations have a sociological or psychological focus.
what a treasure trove. thanks so much!

you continue to be an excellent portal for accessing exceptional Ufological material. Kudos!

You would make an interesting guest on the Paracast.

As a relative newcomer to the UFO and paranormal fields who cannot find many of the texts referenced in podcasts and elsewhere through the public library system, I applaud IsaacKoi's efforts and would very much like to hear more of his ideas about how to preserve and pass on the legacy of such sources in a Paracast show.

A new upload...

Back in 1979, Dr Richard Haines of NARCAP edited a book entitled "UFO Phenomena and the Behavioral Scientist" which contains articles by various leading researchers which "study the eyewitnesses themselves or the social context in which the sighting takes place". Authors included Dr Haines himself, R Leo Sprinkle, Michael Persinger, Berthold Eric Schwarz and others.

With the kind permission of Richard Haines, I've uploaded a searchable PDF version of that book to a free file storage website:
Haines, Richard - UFO Phenomena and Behavioral Scientist.pdf - File Shared from Box

I've embedded images of the table of contents, a couple of sample pages and given some background in a discussion on AboveTopSecret.com at the link below:
Book "UFO Phenomena and the Behavioral Scientist" (edited by Richard Haines) - PDF online, page 1

hainesmosaic.jpg

Dr Haines has now kindly given me permission to upload a searchable PDF copy of another of his books : ”Melbourne Episode : Case Study of a Missing Pilot” (1987) regarding the disappearance of pilot Frederick M Valentich.

With thanks to Mikhail Gershtein for scanning the book and Xtraeme of ATS for tweaking the PDF, the book can now be downloaded (free of charge) from the link below:
Haines, Richard - Melbourne Episode.pdf - File Shared from Box

I have posted some sample pages, some background and a few other relevant links/documents in a brief thread on the AboveTopSecret.com discussion forum at:
Valentich disappearance - rare book now online - "Melbourne Episode" by Dr Richard Haines (free), page 1

Dr Haines has now kindly given me permission to upload a searchable PDF copy of another of his books : ”Melbourne Episode : Case Study of a Missing Pilot” (1987) regarding the disappearance of pilot Frederick M Valentich.

Due to the surprising number of downloads of these books from the free file storage website I used, the monthly file transfer limit was reached. To avoid anyone having to wait until the end of the month when the problem would resolve itself, I've also uploaded both books by Dick Haines to a temporary storage website with no traffic limit:
WeTransfer

As many of you will know, the Belgium UFO group SOBEPS (probably best known for its investigations into the wave of Belgium sightings in 1989-1991) published the Inforespace journal in French until SOBEPS dissolved in 2007. I had the pleasure of speaking with Patrick Ferryn (the co-founder of SOBEPS) at the recent meeting in Paris organised by the French space agency, CNES, and he readily gave me permission to upload searchable PDF versions of over 1,000 pages of Inforespace.

They relevant files can temporarily (for the next week) be downloaded from the link below:
WeTransfer

Back