• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Electric Aliens? Bacteria discovered that exist on pure energy

Absolutely fascinating lifeforms found at the microscopic level prove that we are still just beginning to discover and understand what is all around us. I wonder what else we are missing on the other end of the spectrum? What unknown macro life forms may be ubiquitous but we simply can't see nor begin to comprehend.

Indeed, it's stories like this that makes me question whether we should spend as much time looking for life in our galaxy when we aren't done here on planet earth. Of course there is room for both and private industry will shoulder the costs and burdens of interstellar exploration, but is it so important to know if some electricity eating bacterial life form exists on Rigel IV ?

If there is an advanced civilization out there that is worth catching their attention them they will find us if they haven't already. Three stars to the right and straight on to morning and follow the signal not the noise. ..Uh, maybe I got that backwards :D

I know there is a school of thought out there than mankind should strive towards leaving earth that is in our destiny, but if I was another planet, I'd think about putting out some "Keep Out" signs. It's somewhat arrogant for us to consider colonizing other worlds mostly because we fouled up this one

Back