• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Subject in mysterious military experiment?

BobinDC

Paranormal Novice
A friend of mine related the following experience to me:

I was talking to my mother about the weather and we recalled something that happened back in the mid 1970's. We're hoping you can shed some light on this- science, and magnetic forces. We both studied science & physics in college.

I was about 14 at the time, riding w/my grandmother heading east on Upshur St, NW (in DC) – and was approaching 13th St - next to the hill @ Roosevelt HS. It was a Saturday afternoon & the school was not open at the time.

We noticed a car (two cars ahead) started spinning out of control, skid up the sidewalk on the opposite side of the road and hit a light-pole. It almost hit a couple of people walking in the other side of the road, but they were able to run up the hill in time. The car in front of our car & the cars in the other direction stopped to avoid getting hit by this car. We were wondering if the car had hit an oil patch, since it was sunny, no rain/water was on the ground, and no wind at that time.

Immediately after this happened, and while still stopped, the car in front of my grandmother’s car started slowly rotating, and then her car started to rotate, then, the car behind her did the same. My grandmother, with her foot still on the brake, turned her steering wheel to stop her vehicle from rotating, but, it still rotated in the opposite direction. My grandmother had to make a U-turn after it finally stopped. It had rotated 180° - almost like being in a type of vortex.

We told my mother, grandfather, sisters and a few others what happened and none of us could figure out how this happened – all of us have driven on this road on a few occasions.

Do you know what could have happened – was it a type of magnetic force or a type of atmospheric disturbance?

A friend of mine related the following experience to me:

I was talking to my mother about the weather and we recalled something that happened back in the mid 1970's. We're hoping you can shed some light on this- science, and magnetic forces. We both studied science & physics in college.

I was about 14 at the time, riding w/my grandmother heading east on Upshur St, NW (in DC) – and was approaching 13th St - next to the hill @ Roosevelt HS. It was a Saturday afternoon & the school was not open at the time.

We noticed a car (two cars ahead) started spinning out of control, skid up the sidewalk on the opposite side of the road and hit a light-pole. It almost hit a couple of people walking in the other side of the road, but they were able to run up the hill in time. The car in front of our car & the cars in the other direction stopped to avoid getting hit by this car. We were wondering if the car had hit an oil patch, since it was sunny, no rain/water was on the ground, and no wind at that time.

Immediately after this happened, and while still stopped, the car in front of my grandmother’s car started slowly rotating, and then her car started to rotate, then, the car behind her did the same. My grandmother, with her foot still on the brake, turned her steering wheel to stop her vehicle from rotating, but, it still rotated in the opposite direction. My grandmother had to make a U-turn after it finally stopped. It had rotated 180° - almost like being in a type of vortex.

We told my mother, grandfather, sisters and a few others what happened and none of us could figure out how this happened – all of us have driven on this road on a few occasions.

Do you know what could have happened – was it a type of magnetic force or a type of atmospheric disturbance?

I suppose if the whole car somehow acted like a standard bar magnet with a north and south pole at each end, a strong enough magnetic field, say underneath the road surface, could rotate and cause a rotation in the car. However, although there is ferrous material in cars, I am pretty sure a whole car is not like a magnet. Also, the applied magnetic field would need to be pretty huge to overcome the inertia of a whole car and also the friction of the tires.
How steep was the hill?

The fact that a number of cars behaved in the this way makes what is already baffling, much more so. I can safely say I have never heard of anything like this. Fundamentally a net force must have acted on these cars but from where I cannot think. Perhaps someone has a rational explanation but personally I am stumped.

Thanks for posting.

The car was on a slight incline. But the pavement was dry and there no wind, according to my friend. I've always wondered if they were subjected to a secret military experiment. A device that could cause vehicles to go out of control would cause havoc on enemy motorized columns. But I have no idea how such a thing would or could work. Thanks for responding.

Pretty unbelievably weird-sounding to me! Never heard of a report that mentions this strange apparent affect before. DC? Hmm—Maybe Woodward and Bernstein had just walked by?

the holiday makers have fun on them, theres 5 or 6 of them here
clock the english registrations, different hills.

these girls have been around the island trying them out.

i think it may have something to do with the american underground facility here.
[insert tongue in cheek emoticon here]

Last edited:
Pretty unbelievably weird-sounding to me! Never heard of a report that mentions this strange apparent affect before. DC? Hmm—Maybe Woodward and Bernstein had just walked by?

Perhaps they were the two people walking by and the car that went up on the sidewalk and almost hit them was being driven by Spiro Agnew. By the way, I'm sorry I did not find out you were running camera at the National Press Club hearing until after it was over. It would have been an honor to meet you and my friends who listen to the Paracast would have been quite envious.

the holiday makers have fun on them, theres 5 or 6 of them here
clock the english registrations, different hills.

these girls have been around the island trying them out.

i think it may have something to do with the american underground facility here.
[insert tongue in cheek emoticon here]

Those are very interesting. I've heard and read about similar phenomena in North Carolina and Texas. However, the cars in my friend's experience reacted much more violently.

We did come up with a theory. There was a lot of tunneling being done in DC at the time for the new subway system. Perhaps the vibrations from the tunneling caused the cars to go all catty-wompus. Not as much as secret military project, but perhaps a bit more plausible. Thanks to Goggs for suggesting something was going on underground.

Of course. Or perhaps that's what THEY want us to believe. Anyway, what my friend and the other drivers experienced in D.C. back in the 70's wasn't an optical illusion, if they are to be believed. I guess it's just one of those things that can't be understood for now.

Back