• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

2014, Smartphones everywhere, where are the UFOs?

My knee jerk response is to point out what chris (maybe it was gene ?) pointed out a few episodes back. Most those smartphone bearers are too occupied staring down , not up. I can grog that, I live in la and in addition to occasionally dodging traffic I now have to dodge headphone wearing pedestrians staring down at their phones.

I sometimes wonder what they are looking at because I can't see squat on my phone in the daytime

Last edited:
Plenty of videos and photos of “UFOs” are compiled by various websites every month, so people are recording these things. Regardless, and as noted by a few folks already, cell phone cameras are nice for selfies and stationary objects, but you’re not going to get any sort of conclusive evidence of an often fleeting, quickly moving, usually distant object with an iPhone, let alone at night when all that’s going to show up are some blurry lights. Besides, I’d imagine most who see these things spend more time awestruck, frightened, or just trying to figure out what they are looking at than thinking about snapping a picture.

Maybe when almost everyone starts carrying DSLR cameras with 200mm zoom lenses everywhere they go...

Another thing about smartphones and cameras if it is during the daytime it can be hard to see what you're trying to take a picture of. At least that's the case with me. I just hold it up and hope for the best. It could be quite an accomplishment to capture anything smaller than a baseball. imho

Last edited:
I saw some smartphone footage of a "UFO" with multiple witness voices in the background this weekend. It looked odd, but ultimately unidentifiable as anything but a strange light in a nighttime video recorded by a smartphone. I had the guy who had taken it across from me telling me it was as big as a football field, although that was impossible to verify from the video. I had to listen to the guy and make a judgement call on his character, which admittedly is highly subjective.

The whole idea here is to be able to form an opinion on a growing pile of inconclusive but compelling data. In the equation you have to consider the fact that 45 years ago it was decided by the US government that the subject was closed by lying to its citizens (falsified statistics). Stanton Friedman has been bitching about this for decades but it seems nobody really cares or wants to dig deeper for all sorts of reasons.

Stanton Friedman - Articles: Petition, UFOs, White House and Lies

No evidence being hidden? Then why did Secretary of the Air Force Donald Quarles make the following statement in a very widely distributed press release, on October 25, 1955, about a large study concerning UFOs. “On the basis of this study, we believe that no objects such as those popularly described as flying saucers have overflown the United States. I feel certain that even the Unknown 3% could have been explained as conventional phenomena or illusions if more complete observational data had been obtained.” That the two supposedly factual statements (“3% Unknowns,” “incomplete observational data”) are bald-faced LIES is easily demonstrated. The data are compiled from “the study” whose title was NOT given in the press release (“Project Blue Book Special Report No. 14”) and which was not distributed, though the press release got very wide coverage.

Nothing hidden??
donald-quarles.jpg

Donald Quarles
USAF
The Unknowns comprised 21.5% of the 3201 cases investigated by Battelle Memorial Institute (NOT 3%!!) whose identity was not given in the press release. Of great importance is that there was a separate category listed as Insufficient Information comprising 9.3% of the cases. By definition no case could be listed as an Unknown if there was insufficient information despite Quarles’s lie. A statistical cross comparison between Unknowns and Knowns showed that the probability that the Unknowns were just missed Knowns was less than 1%. It was also found that the better the quality of a sighting the MORE likely to be listed as an Unknown. Nothing Hidden? Surely you are joking, Mr. Larson

It's crazy to rely on smartphones instead of military gear.

Last edited:
All valid points made about the usage of smartphones and rarely looking up. Agree. Well, let's go on waiting... However, should we ever manage to develop interstellar travel and discover intelligent life on another planet, I'd really feel sorry for them... Agree with Stephan Hawkings on this point.

I'm thinking of the Australian School Yard incident, what was it, 1966? A classic saucer hanging around, freaking out the many witnesses.. If such an incident were to happen today, surely enough people would have the mind (if the time) to capture phone photo's. The source or intelligence behind this phenom. would not allow that to happen, imo.

Example of iPhone aerial photo under the very best conditions. While crouching down taking a picture of a lizard, I heard the sound of a plane. When I looked up, I was astonished to see how low and close it was. If you know anything about angular size, this was about the size of a cookie or tangerine held at arm's length. My impression of it was that it was huge and close. Here's what the phone-camera captured:
IMG_0924.JPG

Back