• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

"Smoke ring" UFO over England

I'm going with insect orgy, aside from the well defined ring it looks like there are plenty more insects coming or going and maybe they're even following a phermone trail as it looks like there is some kind of "cloud" coming from the bottom right of the picture. Whatever it is, it's still pretty cool.

That's a very interesting image. When things swarm there are all sorts of mathematical algorithms and analysis that's created to define a zone of repulsion in the centre of any swarming creature that would then create a circle or empty space in the middle:
fish-network.jpg&t=fa51ff931b0d87deb0057bb5459692a4.jpg
Birds get up to some really interesting movements as they fly in stunning patters that form beautiful pixellated 3-D waves on sky screens, a feathery oscilloscope. Starlings are great for creating beautiful math in the sky as they fly in manners mostly attributed to UFO's but you know, nature gets pretty weird and startling all the time.
bugs.jpg
I would vote for weird bug ring swarm as well but it does not appear to be something i could really ever imagine insects to do - they just descend in madness and eat the exterior off of any living thing including the flesh from your face. In the video there is more of an appearance of a smoke ring as we see some dissipation as it floats and retains its relative shape a la classic smoke ring. Apparently after three minutes of observation it disappeared which also sounds more like smoke. I wonder if it's one of those new digital orgone machines - i hear that they pack quite a punch and are quite and improvement on the original.
41Zs+mJOGwL._SS500_.jpg

Attachments

• 41Zs+mJOGwL._SS500_.jpg
    41Zs+mJOGwL._SS500_.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
for insect's or bug's to be considered , firstly they have to be there, and its april uk time.

frankly there ISNT any possible candidates at this time of year, moon is high, relatively cloudless nights, and frost's still.
it would be possible mid/late summer, i would bet my house on it NOT being insect's/bug's.

look at the trees in the vid, not a leaf to be seen, everything is just starting to bud, it is the very beginning of spring, snow drops and daffodil's, another month until my cherry tree in the garden go's pink, branch's are full of tight buds.

no a smoke ring my moneys on.

a tall industrial chimney stack soot ring.

Last edited:
Incineration_unit_plume_Coventry_19n06.jpg
this incinerator is just between coventry and near lemington spa.

I think it is probably just a 'burst' of smoke in a no-wind period that has formed into a ring. An industrial source sounds probable.
Does anyone know the exact location of the photo?

It reminds me of a smoke ring I photographed at Westonbirt Arboretum just before Christmas in the UK. The venue were shooting smoke rings through a sonic cannon and then lighting it with lasers and coloured spotlights.

I doubt it's insects in the UK this time of year, Leamington is not far from where I live and although its been quite sunny these past few days, its not insect swarming weather just yet! Looks to me like some sort of smoke ring produced by a chimney or exhaust of some sort.

Attachments

• BJM_Wbirt_Dec2013 (5 of 8).jpg
    BJM_Wbirt_Dec2013 (5 of 8).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2
I've personally seen rings like this come off the smoke stacks of 18-wheelers when they back-fire.

These rings sometimes occur when an electrical transformer blows up. (Transformers are really just round metal cans full of oil).

Here is a long explanation of the physics of the phenomena:

CAELESTIA Ring-shaped vortices

Here is a video of a guy creating one at Burning Man:

Seems you guys have nailed it. But the OPs example from England and the Mount Aetna example were both on April 11 one year apart - 2013 and 2014 - and both look next to near exactly the same except for the trees (which are also in the same location in both photos - hmmmmm........:confused:.......) How Fortian is that! Or suspicious.......

Back